A few upgrades

aquatarkus

Hi
Thought i'd do a post about upgrades to my A/V system carried out over the last couple of months.

TV
An LG OLED48 CX, upgraded from a Samsung 49" Q60, the picture from the LG OLED is simply stunning, been waiting for ages for a 48" OLED to become available, wife won't allow a 55". Think LG, Sony and Philips are onto something by releasing a sub 50" OLED, a lot of people simply don't want or actually have the room for anything bigger.

Amp
Upgraded to a Marantz S7015 from a Yamaha RX-V1073, very pleased, the Marantz has a clarity and depth that was missing from the Yamaha and the Yamaha was very good. Having the Marantz also now gives me 4k and Dolby Atmos.

Speakers
Front L & R now Dali Oberon 1's upgraded from Q Acoustics 3010's, very pleased with the Oberon's, had a few speakers demonstrated during a very productive visit to Richersounds (Weybridge) but for the price the Oberon 1's were my preferred choice. Rear speakers are currently a pair of Q Acoustics 3010's soon to be upgraded to another pair of Dali Oberon 1's
Center channel now a Dali Oberon Vokal upgraded from a Q Acoustics 3060, has really opened up the voice clarity.
Front Atmos Speakers
A pair of Kef Eggs brought from someone on Gumtree for £30 a bargain, looking for a pair of in ceiling speakers for rear Atmos duties.

Subwoofer
Upgraded to a BK P12-300SB-PR from a Q Acoustics 3070, what can i say, the BK is simply in another league it's simply astounding. Can't recommend the BK sub enough.

Blu-ray player is currently a Panasonic BP-UP450EB but looking to change this around Xmas but not sure to what yet (space is an issue) Blu-ray player only purchased as realised just how difficult it was going to be to get 4KUHD HDR Blu-ray discs to play on my HTPC.

Now have a nice collection (100+) of 4K UDH HDR Blu-ray discs that i get from CEX, had some really good bargains there, seems that people buy these discs and then realise that they can't play the 4K UHD disc as they don't have the required Blu-ray player, latest bargain was Ready Player One, 4K UHD + normal Blu-ray disc and extras with limited edition cover for £8!!

Sources are a Virgin V6 soon to become a TV360, Amazon Firestick 4K, very impressed with this, have it connected directly into the Marantz, wasn't sure that was going to work but no issues at all.
HTPC, windows 10 pro installed on a M2 PCIe 2.0 NVMe SSD (very fast), Nvidia GTX1060Ti gpu and AMD Ryzen 5 3500, 16 gig ram running Emby Theatre,
Emby server is installed on my server located upstairs that has 4 x 8TB hard drives backed up to 2 x 14TB external hard drives., Server also running Win10 pro also installed on a M2 PCIe 2.0 NVMe SSD. Server has 32 gig ram.

All controlled using a Harmony Ultimate remote and Harmony Hub with the Harmony software / app installed on a 10.1" Android 10 tablet so the remote doesn't actually get used.
Also have a pair of Philips Hue lights sat behind the TV again with the Hue lights controlled via the Harmony app.

The TV stand is 2 x Ikea Besta cabinets (120cm long versions) cut up and mounted on top of each other to make the finished cabinet 500mm high Couldn't make the 180cm long Ikea Besta cabinet fit hence the modification to the 2 x 120mm Besta cabinets, my modification also allows the center channel to site within the cabinet directly below the LG OLED tv.
Also have an Nvidia Switch games console that i haven't yet played with.

Thanks for taking time to read.
Regards
KeithW

Attachments

• IMG_20201119_144858.jpg
    IMG_20201119_144858.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 137

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Hi
Thought i'd do a post about upgrades to my A/V system carried out over the last couple of months.

TV
An LG OLED48 CX, upgraded from a Samsung 49" Q60, the picture from the LG OLED is simply stunning, been waiting for ages for a 48" OLED to become available, wife won't allow a 55". Think LG, Sony and Philips are onto something by releasing a sub 50" OLED, a lot of people simply don't want or actually have the room for anything bigger.

Amp
Upgraded to a Marantz S7015 from a Yamaha RX-V1073, very pleased, the Marantz has a clarity and depth that was missing from the Yamaha and the Yamaha was very good. Having the Marantz also now gives me 4k and Dolby Atmos.

Speakers
Front L & R now Dali Oberon 1's upgraded from Q Acoustics 3010's, very pleased with the Oberon's, had a few speakers demonstrated during a very productive visit to Richersounds (Weybridge) but for the price the Oberon 1's were my preferred choice. Rear speakers are currently a pair of Q Acoustics 3010's soon to be upgraded to another pair of Dali Oberon 1's
Center channel now a Dali Oberon Vokal upgraded from a Q Acoustics 3060, has really opened up the voice clarity.
Front Atmos Speakers
A pair of Kef Eggs brought from someone on Gumtree for £30 a bargain, looking for a pair of in ceiling speakers for rear Atmos duties.

Subwoofer
Upgraded to a BK P12-300SB-PR from a Q Acoustics 3070, what can i say, the BK is simply in another league it's simply astounding. Can't recommend the BK sub enough.

Blu-ray player is currently a Panasonic BP-UP450EB but looking to change this around Xmas but not sure to what yet (space is an issue) Blu-ray player only purchased as realised just how difficult it was going to be to get 4KUHD HDR Blu-ray discs to play on my HTPC.

Now have a nice collection (100+) of 4K UDH HDR Blu-ray discs that i get from CEX, had some really good bargains there, seems that people buy these discs and then realise that they can't play the 4K UHD disc as they don't have the required Blu-ray player, latest bargain was Ready Player One, 4K UHD + normal Blu-ray disc and extras with limited edition cover for £8!!

Sources are a Virgin V6 soon to become a TV360, Amazon Firestick 4K, very impressed with this, have it connected directly into the Marantz, wasn't sure that was going to work but no issues at all.
HTPC, windows 10 pro installed on a M2 PCIe 2.0 NVMe SSD (very fast), Nvidia GTX1060Ti gpu and AMD Ryzen 5 3500, 16 gig ram running Emby Theatre,
Emby server is installed on my server located upstairs that has 4 x 8TB hard drives backed up to 2 x 14TB external hard drives., Server also running Win10 pro also installed on a M2 PCIe 2.0 NVMe SSD. Server has 32 gig ram.

All controlled using a Harmony Ultimate remote and Harmony Hub with the Harmony software / app installed on a 10.1" Android 10 tablet so the remote doesn't actually get used.
Also have a pair of Philips Hue lights sat behind the TV again with the Hue lights controlled via the Harmony app.

The TV stand is 2 x Ikea Besta cabinets (120cm long versions) cut up and mounted on top of each other to make the finished cabinet 500mm high Couldn't make the 180cm long Ikea Besta cabinet fit hence the modification to the 2 x 120mm Besta cabinets, my modification also allows the center channel to site within the cabinet directly below the LG OLED tv.
Also have an Nvidia Switch games console that i haven't yet played with.

Thanks for taking time to read.
Regards
KeithW
Good upgrages keith, and welcome to the world of Atmos/4k uhd etc...

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom