A few suspend questions please...

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by gphillips, Mar 8, 2006.

1. gphillips

gphillips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have tested a scheduled recording over night from standby and it worked, but the system stayed on. Should it stand-by again after recording, or woud it only do so if a standby time-out was set in power management?

Regardless, should a system be set to standby after so many hours of inactivity, or will this take effect during DVD viewing etc?

I assume the system must be on to record anything, how can I leave it and have it stand by once comlete?

Thanks

2. TiVoMad

TiVoMad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    It should return to standby after the recording even if you have not set the standby timeout in the power setting of control panel - mine does this with no problem. It may be that something woke the PC up independently - this seems to happen a lot. Try setting up a recording and then exit out of MCE before you standby the system. The recording will still happen as it's a service that does it. If the system does return to standby then it's a known issue with MCE. Next, you can try disabling sound effects in MCE - that has fixed the problem for some people. The other things that sometimes cause the system to stay on are auto updates and guide data download. Apparently you can change the times that these happen although I haven't tried it personally.