1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few setup/connection questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Hallsy, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    My setup is now coming along!! I have a Yam RX-V640 (cheers Mr Turtle!!), a pair of Eltax Liberty 5+, Acoustic Energy Aegis centre. A deal fell through on some rears but I have just sorted a pair of Gale 3060 bipolars for the rears, but I don't have them yet.
    As far as connections are concerned I have connected the Eltax to the main L+R and AE centre to the centre (obviously!!), my DVD player on the digital coax input and my freeview on a cheap RCA (no 5.1 out on the freeview). I set the amp according to my room, speakers and distances, etc.
    Obviously without the rears I'm not going to get blown away by the performance but so far DTS soundtracks have a good weight with the effects and dialogue sounds clear.
    The problem seems to be working out what is the best way to go with stereo playback. I currently use the DVD player as the source as I have no CD player. Currently the output is only on the digi coax, but would I be better connecting up a decent RCA from the DVD player also and using the analogue input for CD playback through the Yam? I had an old Marantz PM-44SE, although I haven't tried them back to back I'm thinking that maybe the Marantz sounded better than the Yam does in stereo.
    When I select stereo (PCM displayed on display) on the Yam the music sounds sort of compressed, with little bass and the voices sound sort of tinny. Detail is there, but it all sounds a little quiet, lacking in oomph maybe? When I switch to PL or PLII music, both sound better, with PLII music soudning the best. Much more bass and body, maybe a little muffled in comparison to stereo but definately a much rciher sound in general.
    Is this mainly down to haveing 3 speakers over 2, or the Aegis centre sounding better than the Eltax, or is it down to source (cheap Bush DVD) or connections (digi coax rather than RCA)?
    Just feel a little let down by pure stereo on the Yam, especially compared to my old Philips boom box!!!

2. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hallsy,

I can't help you here - but I thought putting a comment would bring your thread to front page and perhaps others can help you here.

Wasabi

3. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers Wasabi,
    I have come to the conclusion now that I am fairly happy with the stereo perofrmance now. I was advised to leave the amp on so it is always warm and these seemd to have warmed up the sound also! I only had cheap RCA's so a direct comparsion between digi coax and RCA's was not really viable, but now I'm not sure about the whole analogue/digital connection thing now (as in my other thread about connecting a CDP)!!
    I just turn the bass up a touch for rock and it sounds fine, sitting listening to RAGE and it sounds pretty good. I have also deciced that listening to DLPII is not great for 2-channel, you lose stereo imaging as the centre is used too much and also my centre becomes boomy but I think this is down to positioning, under the TV in a sort of tunnel (difficult to describe).

4. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hallsy - I had a problem with levels in stereo on my 750 but I'm not sure if it applies to the 640. The front speaker levels were different in stereo and multi-channel on mine after auto-setup, so movies were fine but music was weedy. Auto-setup had set my front pair to -5dB in stereo and +3dB in PLII etc.

Have a look at the dB levels when your amp is in stereo mode with a CD and you might find the same.