A few quick questions on converters...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Beck_, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Beck_

Beck_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Ok Ive just bought a Panasonic PW7.. havnt received it yet but just planning my connectivity.

a) Alot of people talk about using Amps.. they connect their sky/DVD into the amp (through RGB scart/Component) then connect to plasma with a VGA connection.

b) The way I am looking at is to connect my sky/DVD into a JS RGB to Plasma Screen VGA then VGA into plasma.

Questions...

1) Would their be any PQ difference in a or b?

2) I guess my query is mainly.. does the Amp improve the PQ?

3) Is VGA the best connection into plasma? Is the PQ order... VGA/Component/Scart?

4) Ive just been reading about the JS RGB to Plasma Screen VGA over on AV sales.. It says that you can plug several RGB scarts into it and then have just 1 VGA connection into the plasma. The picture only shows 1 input scart? Can you actually plug more than 1 scart into this box? Can you plug anything else into it, like component etc?

I would rather not spend too much money so any help is appreciated.

The main reason I dont want an amp is because I already have a good digital sound system which I intend to plug my audio into. I believe the screen will already have the vga and a scart connection. My thinking is to just use the VGA connection for best qualtiy picture.

2. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    1) If you bought a high quality AV Amp (Denon 3805 @ £800) and converted everything to component then you may notice a marginal improvement.

2) Debateable between VGA & Component. I think the main reason that people recommend this is that you will only have one lead going into the plasma and then use the amp for both Video and audio switching.

3) I think it's actually Component/VGA/RGB Scart/S Video/Composite.

4) I have the JS Labs Convertor and it only has one input so if you wish to plug in more than one source you will need to daisy chain them (DVD Player into Sky into VGA Convertor or Vice Versa if the DVD Player has 2 Scart Sockets). Alternatively buy a scart splitter (such as the JS Labs Quintro) which will allow you to plug two sources into it and then take one lead into the JS Labs Convertor.

You can't plug anything else into the convertor, only one scart, if you want component into your plasma you need to buy either a component capable DVD Player, an AV Amp that will do upconversion or a JS Labs RGB to Component Convertor and then a Component board for the Plasma.

Generally the point being made on here is not really a discussion between VGA or Component as component will cost more (need both the convertor or AV Amp and a board) but rather the fact that the Scart Socket produces a soft picture and therefore either will produce a much better picture (difference is negligible between component & VGA).

A couple of other points you may want to consider. Does your DVD Player have component outputs - If so it is strongly recommended that you connect this directly to the plasma using a component board. You say you only have Sky & a DVD Player. If you also have a VCR this will not work using the VGA Convertor as they do not produce an RGB signal so you may have to buy a DVD Recorder or Scart Board if you want to watch recorded programs.

Hope this helps.

3. Beck_

Beck_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Thanks Tony, a little clearer now.

I didnt want to get too confusing in my post but I actually have a tivo.. so my setup would be...

Sky ---> Tivo ----> RGBtoVGA ----> Plasma VGA port

DVD is currently scart so I suppose I would want to send it to a RGBtoComponent then into the plasma component port.

Although I plan on upgrading the dvd to a progressive scan with component output so would just need the component port on plasma for this.

So even though the connection comes out of the Tivo through scart.. converting the connection to VGA or Component will make it better? I always thought that you can never get better then the source quality... In this example we are bringing the tivo out using scart (scart quality) then plugging it into plasma using VGA (base of scart quality so how can this get better?)

I know that it does get better but just puzzled in the science of it.

If I get the quattro multi scart thing.. and plug my tivo into that and then plug that into a converter and then into plasma.. will the quality get worse due to the daisy chain? Or shouldnt this concern me?

Another quickie... If I plug the dvd scart into a converter and plug it into the plasma as component. Would this be a worse PQ then If I had a dvd player with a component output and plugged the dvd straight into plasma without any converters?

Also, is progressive scan a much better PQ then a dvd player without progressive scan?

Sorry for all the questions.. just want to make sure I have a decent setup.

Thanks again.

4. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm also in the process of getting my PWD6 set up with my TiVo (fed by Telewest). I'm trying a scart board first because the VGA route will lose auto widescreen switching unless I buy the auto widescreen switcher gizmo (about another £100). I can't bear to watch a programme in the wrong aspect ratio and hate having parts of the the picture chopped off, so I'm willing to try the softer scart picture in order to have auto switching.

I don't think that the RGB to VGA converter will actually improve the TiVo picture, its just that most people on this forum consider the scart picture to be worse than the VGA one.

I haven't actually got my scart board yet and so haven't seen TiVo at all on my plasma. It's driving me mad having my plasma sitting on the floor next to the TV. I can watch DVD movies which are great from my DVD player connected via component and progressive scan.

If I find the scart picture too bad, then I'll have to go the VGA route, but I will also have to get the auto aspect ratio switcher as well. Then I'll need another VGA board so that I can connect my laptop.

I've tried my DVD player with and without progressive scan and my untrained eye couldn't notice any big difference. That probably means that the deinterlacer in the DVD player is on a par with that in the PWD6. I have a Harman Kardon DVD25.

5. Beck_

Beck_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Teresa, thanks for your input.. would be interested in hearing about how you get yours setup in the end.. Mine wont be fully setup for another couple of weeks (when I move house) so still have a little time to think about what I need.

So progressive scan isnt too much of a difference then? Hmmm.. I may end up sitcking with my current scart dvd player for now then.

My current leaning is for the following setup...

Sky --> Tivo --> Quattro --> RGBtoVGA --> Plasma

DVD --> Quattro (see above)

This should give me the best PQ I can get without buying an amp right?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    instead of a quattro why not go for one of these? http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=8389&taxonomy_id=62-98
    Add:http://www.canton.de/www/index.php4?pg_id=14,30,moviecd1,2,en
    Nice silver sexy 5.1 Suuround sound system with 3 scart inputs and one scart output or have it all in one box: http://www.av-sales.com/html/panasonic_sc-ht25r.html
    All kit is available from av-sales if not actually listed on their site...... so give em a call panny one box has amp with 3 scarts, 2 in, one out that can go to DVD-recorder which is PS and will convert RGB to component and sent it all to VGA input on plasma or component board.............Nice eh?

7. Beck_

Beck_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Actually, I already have the sound covered. I have a digital sound system my devices will be plugged into.. so Just concerned about video connections now.

Thanks for the tips anyway. ;)

8. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Becks, You are totally right that you cannot improve the picture output by passing it through a convertor such as the component or VGA Convertor (only a scaler, deinterlacer, line doubler would imporve picture). Once again its more the fact that the scart board itself appears to be rubbish and degrades the picture whilst the VGA comvertor maintains all of the original picture.

If you have Tivo and aren't planning to keep your existing DVD player too long you could just use the VCR Scart input on the Tivo to feed the picture into the Plasma thus negating the need for the quintro. Then when you buy a component capable DVD player just buy a component board and connect it direct.

P.S. Do you have an upgarded TiVo as your next problem may be the quality of TiVo, see TeresaTT's previous thread.

9. Beck_

Beck_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    But if I go straight from tivo into the plasma via scart I will have the poor PQ.. which is why Im wanting to convert it to VGA.

I may be getting a component DVD which could go straight into the plasma via component.

So the way I see it is I can either do...

Tivo --> Quattro (£91) --> 'JS RGBtoVGA' (£127) --> plasma via VGA (free)
    DVD --> Quattro

or...

Tivo --> 'JS RGBtoVGA' (£127) --> Plasma via VGA (free)
    DVD --> Plasma via component (£120?)

Well the first option is a little cheaper and only has 1 wire going into the plasma.. plus it will allow me to connect PS2/XBOX into the Quattro and will switch to the most recent scart input dynamically.. so its more flexible. Any downsides to this option over the other one?

One last question... If I have a DVD with component connecting to plasma via component.. would that be the same PQ as having a DVD with scart and connecting to plasma via component after converting? I would think worse.

One of my main concerns was that going through devices like Quattro etc would degrade the PQ but I believe this is not the case.. So Im free to use these devices in my setup.

I realise the Tivo PQ is not too great by default due to the compressing it does. But I would like it as good as it can be.. I may end up getting someone to rig up a hard disk with all the bitrate stuff that I can just slot into my Tivo (replacing old one).. will see how it is. I suppose I could watch most tv through the aux option.. and only suffer the compressed PQ when Im watching recorded programmes.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    other option is a second VGA board as panny will accept component via VGA built in.
    slightly cheaper IIRC.

11. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone with a pw7 & a JS rgb/vga converter(version2) installed, please confirm that the JS works?
    Given that the pw7 vga port does not accept component (unlike the pw6),we can not assume that it will accept the JS 15.6KHz vga signal..or can we?
    The only way to know for sure is if an owner of both let's us know.
    Crucial info as I'm about to order tomorrow!
    Cheers.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I am guessing a quick call to AV-sales will sort that out,,, If they have had time to unbox a PW7.....

13. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Beck, Sorry, I meant

Sky --> Tivo (via aux) +
    DVD --> Tivo (via vcr) then Tivo --> VGA Convertor --> Plasma. The idea being to save buying a quintro if you are planning to buy a component ready DVD Player shortly. You may see a very small drop in quality by going via Tivo instead pf the quintro but I would think it would be marginal. The point however becomes somewhat mute if you would also need to plug in an xbox or playstation (unless you want to keep switching connections on the back of your TiVo).

Tivo is still watchable on a plasma provided everything is recorded on best quality however it is worth the upgrade in my opinion. I got a guy to do mine at a very reasonable price (I think he also posts on this site) and was well worth it as I watch everything via TiVo.

Picture quality would be better from a component DVD player directly into a component board on the plasma. In my opinion there is no point in having a DVD player outputting via scart and converting it into component, you would just use the VGA convertor instead (if need be via a quintro)

14. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the PW7 and JS Labs VGA Convertor (v2) and it is excellent. Works with Tivo, DVD, freeview etc. Only thing it doesn't work with is the VCR as discussed earlier.

15. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tony8377,
    Thanks for the reply. I asked feedback from a 'real' user because you have already put your money where your mouth is! A Dealer may not have set one up as Hornydragon says.
    Tell me, the limitations mentioned re no colour control... do you wish you had gone for a rgb/component converter so you could keep this feature?
    Finally, having you kit already, are there any tips you can give us folks who are waiting for their pw7 & rgb/vga converter?
    Just one more thing, how does it compare to your sky crt picture?
    Thanks a million.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    With a RGB signal you shouldn't have colour control......... thats what the RGB is for...... Besides having display calibrated would be the best way to ensure good PQ...

17. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    giantteabag, personally I love the VGA connection and wouldn't change it, there is no emphasis of red and it produces a great picture. I have no problems with the red level but I don't have Sky or Cable only freeview. You only need to look at the number of people that have bought this convertor to see how few people have this problem. As H/D mentioned RGB should mean that you don't need to change the colour.

Whilst I can't comment on the picture of sky through the plasma vs CRT I do think the freeview picture is better on the plasma than on my old CRT. I'm not sure how best to describe it, but when watching dark scenes you can see so much more detail than my old phillips CRT. When watching something like Angel I used to have to turn my CRT onto rich (equivalent to Dynamic) just to make out what was going on. With the plasma you see everything. Only bad thing is that you really see how bad some channels and old recordings are.

No tips, it's really easy to set up and anyone that knows enough to buy a VGA convertor will have no problems. I found my Plasma got better over the first week (and not just me getting used to it) so bear that in mind. Just sit back and enjoy, the waiting will soon be over :thumbsup:

18. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tony8377,
    Thanks for the feedback..it's really reassuring.
    With such a good pic, how come you have time to make these posts?..only joking.
    When I get my stuff I promise to be as helpfull as you have been.
    One final question for all..how come av sales have stock when panny on line shows out of stock?
    Teabag.

19. media

media

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another happy RGB to Plasma VGA converter owner. I have pw6 and I was not happy with picture when I used Scart board. Now I have converter and I think that picture is much better now. I have compared pictures (PiP), and difference is remarkable.

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    probably cause they bought a shed load before panny ran out.....

21. rafaqat

rafaqat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are my options on viewing VHS on the PW6 if I don't buy the scart board (I really have no need for that board other than VHS).

I'm getting a PW6 with component board and a JS converter for NTL.
    Currently with my CRT I have the VHs video connected to the NTL box. Is this not going to work with a plasma?

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  23. rafaqat

rafaqat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone point me to where I can get the specs for the Pw6?
    I'd like to know things like if it can take a PAL progressive input through component etc.

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    download manual from Panasonic site......
    It will take a PAL PS signal as well as a shedload of others...... the terminal board choice will affect signal compatibility to a certain extent.