1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few quick questions for 37PV500 owners......

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Daipac, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I was just wondering why you went for the 37" instead of the 42" ? Do you have any regrets and wish you had gone for the 42" now ?

I can get a great deal on the 37PV500 which is around £500 cheaper than the best deal for the 42PV500 but I don't know if I will regret it after a while and wish I had gone for the bigger model.

Any advice would be great.........

Cheers !

2. mickyd67

mickyd67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you can afford the 42" version you may always wish you'd went for that.

I work on the premise that if I am spending £1500 on something, and I really want the thing that is £500 more - then I'd see it as a waste of £1500 and wait until I had the extra cash.

That's me though. (I bought the 42")

3. Chris78

Chris78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched Liverpool M'boro on the 42" version on Saturday and you were still rubbish so I would go for the 37" and get some fancy cabling with the rest of the money - unless of course you had budgeted for that anyway

4. puntograle

puntograle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well...I would suggest that the 37" buyer is not buying 37" to save money, but because 37" is the optimum size for their need.

I bought a 37" to ultimately go in the kitchen which was stepping up from the original plan for a 32" LCD. The new 37" is currently in lounge until a suitable 50" replacement is bought :D

A 42" would look really silly in our kitchen (hopefully the 37" will only look 'slightly' silly :) )

The 42" would have been a tad small for the lounge.

From an optimum price perspective, the 42" is much better purchase as it is not that much more.....

Conversally, the 50" can also be price compromised, as some of them are double the price of a 42".....

So unless you are definitely sure that anything over 37" is tooo big, I'd buy the 42" :smashin:

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Get the 42" i had the 37"on order and because of the delay talked myself in to the 42" now ive got it iam really glad i went bigger in fact if i ever change to a panel only i would go for a 50" this is with a room size of 16'x14' max viewing distance of 15'. :)

6. cliveuk

cliveuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    ive ordered a 37inch PV500 which will be here tomorrow, decided on the 37inch screen because i think thats the biggest i want in the room, i got a 32inch there now and thats still looks quite big

7. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for your replies.

I am looking at £1500 for the 37" and £2000 for the 42" so I would consider the £500 to be quite a difference in price.

I did have an 42" LG before but sent it back for other reasons. I have always been looking for a 42" but because of the good price for the 37" it has made me think about it when I wouldn't have done so otherwise.

The dilemma I have is that the plasma would probably go in our bedroom as I watch most of my sport in there and also the girlfriend and I like to watch films in bed so that will benefit both of us. For the bedroom I think the 37" could be big enough.

I was then thinking, maybe next year I could look into getting a 42" for the living room then to replace the current 32" Sony Wega we have in there.

Decisions, decisions........... I just don't want to regret the decision I do make but then I do not have an infinite budget either.

8. psychobod

psychobod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where are you getting the 37" for 1500??

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I havent got the PV500, but I do have the 37PE30 Veria. I bought this size because of the size of the room it was going in.
    I did'nt want a panel Plasma and the Viera 37" was the biggest I coud get without it looking like it was dominating the room. :)

10. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Currys are doing it for £1619 at the moment with free delivery and I they are also doing 5% cash back too, so it is around £1500-£1550.

This is for just the plasma.

11. jdncl

jdncl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    currys charge around 500 to extend the guarantee for 5 years and the cover is not very good. just bought a 37" pv500 from john lewis. 2344 for 37" with stand, dvd recorder and five year guarantee.

hoping to get JL to price match with somewhere in the next 28 days too :)