A few quick and simple Samsung LE32R41BD Questions.

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Whappers, Mar 17, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Whappers

Whappers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    1. What does Digital NR do? and why do people reccomend that you turn it off?

2. I recently bought a component lead for my PS2 and hooked it up. The picture is sharper. However, i read that in another thread on here that you may have to change your setting for the component source. why is this?

3. Why do some people turn off dynamic contrast when it clearly adds more contrast ratio?

4. Which wall bracket do most people use for their set?

These are just a few questions that I have been wondering for a while and have decided to get answered.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks.

Whappers.

2. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I have the set and i'll try to answer... (well i have the R51 but it's all the same soup)

Well it didn't do anything on mine, instead i felt like it introduced ghosting, for some reason, so i just turned it off.

On your PS2 system menu (start the PS2 without a disc inside), you'll have to choose the "component" option instead of the RGB option or you'll get a green image. Nothing major.

Because, as you will notice in a few days time, it also completely erases detail on dark areas. If you play around with the settings, you can get much more realistic images with just as dark blacks, and still retaining detail in dark areas.
    I used to think it looks great, but eventually i realised it adds some "wow" factor by making dark areas totally black, even when they shouldn't be black, erasing detail, and giving the impression that the contrast is higher. It's all down to perception... In the end, by keeping it off, you get blacks that are just as black, as long as you tweak the settings a little bit.
    But hey, if you like the look of it, keep it on by all means. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I have mine on the pedistal.

No prob!!

3. Whappers

Whappers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks DanDT!

The thing is that I don't have trouble connecting up the PS2 to the TV via component. I have played several games on it and they all look fine. It's just that (I think it was a picture setting thread for this set) somone mentioned that they would get the settings for the component source, judging by that I was assuming that they would obviously be different for some reason. I don't know whether it is just me, but I get the impression that the colours aren't as strong as they once were with Scart/RGB.

The other issue that I have with the PS2 and in particular with dynamic contrast is that during Fifa 2006 and Pro Evo 5 whenever I take a corner or the ball goes out of play, the screen goes black momentarily while the PS2 is loading. However when the image re-appears on the screen it is far brighter than it should be, is this just the dynamic contrast over-compensating?. The problem goes away whenever I turn it off though.

1. Have you ever experineced this problem with the dynamic contrast?

2. May I ask as to your current settings for all the soucres if it's not too much trouble?

3. Do you use brightness sensor?

Thanks again!

Whappers

4. chunderwunder

chunderwunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't speak for some of your questions but I found that with Dynamic Contrast on, skin tones on SD sources were generally horrible - really washed out and fake looking.

IMO, Dynamic contrast off, brightness sensor on and DNR off gives the best results for skin tones. Further to this, I use the 'dynamic' screen settings, adapting the colour palette to 'normal' then adding a touch more colour and brightness via the controls.

The end result is less bright than it could be (still bright enough for me), but looks great.

5. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Yeah i get that impression too, i always have to go into the menu and get the color vibrance up so i get nice colours on PS2...

Yeah it's the dynamic contrast doing its mojo. Personally i just don't like it.

Well i tend to change them a bit over the weeks, but i think i've kept it at:
    Contrast 90
    Brightness 45-50 (depends what i'm watching)
    Sharpness 10
    Colour 58-60 (depends...)
    Lately i've been keeping it on, yes, but sometimes i just turn it off for a while. I find that keeping it OFF and keeping the brightness high, the screen is amazingly bright, which is nice for a while, but then after a while i started realising that a less bright and more natural image was better for me.