1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by zAndy1, Apr 10, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,057
    Hi,
    Just got a few general questions I wonder if anyone can help me with.

Dscaler, I can't seem to find any setting that doesn't comb i.e if there's fast movement e.g. pans or someone moves their hand quickly it just breaks up into jaggies. Anyone know why that might be, what's the best deinterlace setting (I've tried most of them though!)

Is there any advantage to playing CDs through winamp compared to Windows Media player 9 (which I'm currently using and it sounds ok to me).

I'm a bit confused about aspect ratios, the 433MXE is a 16:9 display but with a 4:3 resolution (1024 x 768). In Dscaler you can set the aspect to 4:3 or anamorphic or letterbox, I've got it set to 4:3 which seems to look ok i.e. fills the screen but is that correct (what about Zoom player?)

In Zoom player, some films fill the entire width of the screen whereas others leave small black bars at the left and right. Any reason for this and what can be done about it?

Sorry for the noddy questions...

I've got everything up and running, DVDs look great and it's stable and no sound problems, just a case of tweaking and getting the useability sorted out, currently using the standard keyboard/mouse. What's the best stuff to get as far as useability goes (IRMan? Airboard?)

Cheers
    Andy

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sounds like your not running your display at its native resolution and theres still some scaling going on in it. I normally use tomsmocomp or greedy high motion for sport. Try a film and if its happening with that with 2:2 pulldown then its definitly the display settings.

Dont know much about plasmas but 1024*768 is likly to be a 4:3 ratio and more like 1368*768 or 1280*720 for a 16:9 one.

Whats the maximum res of the panel?

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Andy,

In Dscaler you set the aspect ratio of the DISPLAY device.....
    Then you use the aspect ratio control of incoming signal to change the shape.

Set Display aspect to 1.78:1 (HDTV)/16:9

Then set the Powerstrip resolution to 1024 x 768........

and that's all there is to it....

Gordon

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,057
    Thanks Gordon, is there any need to use Powerstrip for a standard resolution of 1024 x 768, I thought that was just needed for custom resolutions, what's to be gained by using Powerstrip if anything?
    Another example of what's confusing me, Lilo & Stitch through DVD player completely fills the screen, no bars at top/bottom/left or right. Via zoom player there are about 2 inch bars at the left and right of the image, granted I can make it fill the screen using the resize navigator but should I have to or have I got something set wrong? It will be a bit of a pain having to resize everytime I watch a film!
    Thanks for the responses so far, taking time but it will all sink in eventually!

Cheers
    Andy

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,057
    Well I don't know what I'm doing wrong with DScaler but it looks awful in comparison to using an RGB -> VGA transcoder. When there's any movement it just breaks up into jaggies/lines . Any idea what might be wrong cos I'm sure it shouldn't look like this! Got resolution set to 1024 x 768, aspect ratio of display device set to 1.78:1..

Cheers,
    Andy.

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Try setting Dscaler aspect ratio to "same as computer res".

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,057
    But if I do that then it will be akin to setting the aspect ratio to 4:3 as 1024 x 768 is a 4:3 ratio. I've set it to 1.78:1 and I think I've found what was wrong, in the menu tab for my capture card the pixel width was set to 720, I set it to 768 and it looks a lot better now, don't know how it got set to 720...

Cheers
    Andy

8. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    720 was the default on mine too but it def looks loads better on 768.

9. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    What kind of PC are you using? Dscaler is fairly CPU intensive for best results - especially TomsMoComp. What Dscaler settings/modes are you using? You may be getting drop frames.