1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by StephenR, Jan 2, 2001.

1. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking into getting a projector sometime this year and I am doing some preliminary research. I hope you can help me with a few questions I have.

1. If I was to go for a CRT projector, how far do they need to be from the screen to produce a 7 or 8 foot diagonal?

2. Can you use a CRT projector with a 16:9 screen? Wouldn't a 4:3 image appear outside of the screen boundary?

3. How do LCD and CRT projectors compare when used in ambient light? Obviously I would view DVDs in darkness, but what if I want to watch Sky digital?

Any help on these matters would be much appreciated.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Garry is spot on here.

The only thing to add is that all front projection technology should be used with as little light as possible in the room in order to get the best results. This is because you cannot project black. How close you can get to black is the colour your screen looks with your projector on and muted and the lights all off.

Extremely bright LCD and DLP's will give a more watchable picture in high ambient light as Garry said.

Also, you'll find that CRT and DLP/LCD have different measurements for brightness Lumens and Ansi Lumens are not the same. Chris or Alan or Oasis should probably be able to give us a comparison table.

Hope you get something good.

Gordon

P.S. Just remembered that not all CRT projectors can be used with 16:9 screens while watching 4:3 material. Just as not all DLP/LCD's can either.

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

3. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help. I will obviously have to see demos of CRT and LCD projectors - do you know of any good dealers near Chester? I have found two advertised so far, namely Sevenoaks in Manchester and HiFi SHowrooms in Congleton.

I was also wondering how much diffence the type of input makes. For example, the Ellie only has S-Video and composite where as the Seleco 350 has component and RGB. However, the Ellie has a line doubler and the Seleco does not.

Thanks again for the information. I currently have a 36 inch widescreen TV which is great, but I would prefer to see the picture 7 feet across! However I don't want to take a step back in terms of image quality, so CRT may be the way to go.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Gordon is quite right. ANSI lumens from LCD and CRT can’t be compared directly. Of course I can only speak for Seleco products, but here’s what I have observed…

Our non-line doubled CRT projector SVP350 is rated at 130 ANSI lumens. This would produce about the same apparent light output as a good 500 ANSI LCD/DLP projector.

The SVP450/500 models are line doubled and rated at 140 ANSI. These would produce about the same light output as an 800~900 ANSI LCD.

Finally, our SVD800 is capable of line tripling and is rated at 160 ANSI. This would look about as bright as a 1000 ANSI LCD.

A better measure of CRT performance is the Peak Lumens figure. This measures light intensity when illuminating a 10 or 20% patch of screen. This is a closer simulation to the demands of a video picture.

Dealer with CRT in the Cheshire/Manchester area are:

Hi-Fi Showrooms at Congleton SVD500 (and SVP450 & SVD800 by prior arrangement)
    Sevenoaks Manchester SVD500

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Regional Sales Manager-N.England & Scotland
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk

5. James McHugh

James McHugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stephen RGB is available via the computer input on the Ellie and component is an add on at 350.00

[This message has been edited by James McHugh (edited 04-01-2001).]

6. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,403
    Apologies to Garry - i messed up and deleted his reply thinking it was a duplicate post by Stephen.
    Here is Garry's post:

1. If I was to go for a CRT projector, how far do they need to be from the screen to produce a 7 or 8 foot diagonal?

I have a 2m 16:9 screen and the projector lense of my NEC9PG sits at about 3.4m from the screen, this will vary depending on projector, sony LCD has short throw distance, the new seleco HT200 has a long throw.

2. Can you use a CRT projector with a 16:9 screen? Wouldn't a 4:3 image appear outside of the screen boundary?

Yes you can, I have one. How the image is handled is dependant on the video processor. I have an external processor called a quadscan which has 3 modes, it can show the image full screen chopping off the top & bottom, It can squash the image vertically onto the screen and it can scale the image into the centre of the screen with black bars on the sides. In general it's very similar to a modern wide screen TV.

3. How do LCD and CRT projectors compare when used in ambient light? Obviously I would view DVDs in darkness, but what if I want to watch Sky digital?

From what I've seen LCD should be better with high ambient light. I have found however that watching sky etc I can have a light on in the room and still have a watchable picture. The location of the light will affect the image i.e. behind or in front of the screen.

The best thing you can do is get a demo to see if you are happy with the image of LCD etc versus CRT. Lots of people on here are perfectly happy with LCD, I personally found after comparing it to CRT that I would always have known that something was missing...