1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few Questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jamesmmm, Sep 27, 2004.

1. jamesmmm

jamesmmm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi,
    i have a system composed of a micromega stage 2 cd player, marantz pm7200 and a pair of celef (celestion and kef colaboration i think) super domestic II speakers... the speakers are old but extremely good and the one component slightly letting the system down is the marantz amp which i have had for a couple of months now..

now for some questions....!

1) last week i turned the volume up too high and the foam around the edge of the has ripped away from the speakers and it now sounds "raspy" with a lack of bass... can they be repaired or will i need new drivers??? does anyone know who i might contact?

2) is there any way of putting a limiter on the speaker side of things to protect them from future damage after i get them fixed?

3) i have been thinking about adding a subwoofer to the system but it is purely audio system (not av)... will this work? what type of subwoofer should i look for and how would it be integrated into my system?

many thanks in advance,
    james

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    3) you need a sub with high level inputs for use in a 2.0 orstereo system

3. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm not sure about any of this but my understanding is:

1) the speaker has blown. i don't think repaired speakers will ever sound as good as they did.

2) a limiter or clipper in the system will impede audio quality. use a less powerful amp (i thought the 7200 was supposed to be great? it does have a 25W(?) setting. or just be careful with that knob at parties. (sound advice all round :) )

3) why use a sub woofer? for hifi you should aim for the truest to original sound. you 2 speakers should do this. even turning on the bass control will impede the audio slightly.

4. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    apologies, i'm wrong about the suswoofer at least. you can connect them. i think 3 cables come from them. a + and - for your rhs speaker o/p on the amp. and a + for your lhs speaker o/p. they need to be set up to pick up the bass beyond what your main speakers can produce and the bass needs to flow from main to sub seemlessly. good for smaller ones i guess. this is a bit beyond my needs and abilities but just came accross it in a mag so i thought i'd correct myself and let you know. :hiya: