1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a few questions

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by damoh8r, Sep 7, 2004.

1. damoh8r

damoh8r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok am ready to buy the 64 bit chip noiw been looking at thishttp://www.web-systems.co.uk/?page=Products&pid=1321so what do u think also im having a bit of trouble placing the temp sensors in the case( HDD,,SYSTEM,,CPU) any ideas??? back onto the processor what level would i be able to go upto on say far cry??(graphics)also while im here ive just bought a dvd riter its a liteon 8xdvd dual drive now im pretty certain that some dvd drives set themselves to a specific region after so many plays is this the case with the liteon???? one more thing when i go onto the home cinema choice website and click on the forums i get a blank screen any ideas (the only way i can get onto the forum is through a web mail address do i need to have some special software????? thanks lads and lasses

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The heat sensor is built inside the processor so you don't have to place it anywhere. The level you will be able to play Farcry at will also depend on how much memory your system has and the quality of your graphics card but if both are up to scratch then ‘all the way baby'.

:thumbsup:

The DVD writer will allow 5 changes of region as standard and then set to the last region permanently. You can get around this via software or a firmware flash of the drive. Take note while flashing your DVD driver is easy things can go wrong and total your drive so at your own risk.

DVD region free
    DVD firmware

3. damoh8r

damoh8r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    untill next month the system will have 512 ram and a sapphire ati radeon 9800 pro card

4. damoh8r

damoh8r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just had a brainwave if i played a region free film 5 times would that set the dvd-rw to region free?? also would there be any difference in a 64 bit 2800 and a 64 bit 3000 as there only £20 difference thanks (i was known as jelly till my forums failed me)

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    CPU wise I would have thought very little but not having tried them I will say your guess is as good as mine but faster is always better. DVD region is set after five changes of region and not five plays of films of the same region and I'd put my money on region free DVD's not changing the settings because they are 'region free'.

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Personaly Im waiting for the Intel Xenon 64 for desktops.

Also a 64bit OS like XP64 or longhorn. Otherwise all your getting from your 64 bit chip is 32bit applications running slighty faster.

7. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Xenon64 processors will use AMD 64 bit extensions verbatim - what does that tell you about Intel? Personally, I'd buy AMD64.

8. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    good thought but i doubt it would happen, you can just download DVDRegion free and use that :)

9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    How will the Xenon chips be using AMD technology? hasnt the Xenon been out for a while? I doubt AMD would give intel their technology anyway.

Besides I dont think Intel need other peoples tech!

10. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read about it. Intel have adopted AMD's 64 bit extensions for their 64 bit processors. This is no wind up, trust me. Oh, and don't forget that these Intel 64 bit processors aren't even available yet. AMD's are here and very, very good indeed.

Also Xenon as it stands is NOT a 64 bit processor. Intel's attempt, the Itanium project, is a spectacular failure, being massively expensive and now relegated to a 'database processor', because it has no backward compatibility with 32 bit software. This is why Intel have backtracked and are using AMD's extensions for their upcoming 64 bit processors.

The article below explains.

http://www4.tomshardware.com/column/20040220/index.html

11. damoh8r

damoh8r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any ideas where to get dvd region free from???

12. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    there absolutely no reason to buy XP64 and longhorn wont be out for at least 2 years, unless you will be running 64bit applications (highly unlikely).

the key thing with the amd64 chips has NOTHING to do with the fact that they can run 64bit apps map 64bit memory addresses, it has EVERYTHING to do with being blindingly fast at 32bit apps.

pez

13. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
  14. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite true. The main reason for switching to AMD64 is because of a marked improvement in performance over the old XP processors on 32 bit apps, not because there is a plethora of 64 bit applications waiting to be purchased.