A few questions on the HDA1!!

ebury

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just got my HD A1 from movietyme(very good service)
and have a few q's to ask:

1,When pressing the audio button on the remote,are you meant to have an onscreen guide telling you what soundtrack your listening too??

2,Does the resume play function work yet(or is it an upgrade feature)?

3,Once subbtitles are on screen you are supposed to use the round toggle < or > to turn on or off!!This does not work

4,On my amp,dolby digital+ shows up as dts ex!! Why?

Im sure there will be other questions later:devil: :devil: but please put my mind at rest:D

As for picture and sound so far:eek: :eek:
On my plasma(50phd) perfect storm,the fugitive and jarhead have been awesome for picture with great looking colours and the finest detail on jarhead,i have ever seen via a plasma!!Have checked the standard perfect storm dvd but was amazed how much more vibrant the colour has become .

One thing that does annoy is the film goes back to the start everytime you change resolutions!!(on hd-dvd)

cheers all

1 Not done this
2 Sorry not resumed
3 Not looked at subtitles
But 4...............................
Dolby Digital plus is decoded internally and output via the analogued 5.1 phonos.
In addition the DD+ is re-encoded as a DTS signal (and a cracking one at that) and output via digital out
Sorry I can't help with the other stuff (my player freezes completely if you try and change resolution)!

ebury said:
Hi folks,

1,When pressing the audio button on the remote,are you meant to have an onscreen guide telling you what soundtrack your listening too??

cheers all

Hi Ebury,

There is a info button on the remote that bring up on screen information on what compression type use (ie. VC1) and what sound mode you are in believe it stops on until you press the button again, so if you press the info button then press the sound format button it should tell you what sound mode you are in at the time

Steve

ebury said:
Hi folks,

2,Does the resume play function work yet(or is it an upgrade feature)?

3,Once subbtitles are on screen you are supposed to use the round toggle < or > to turn on or off!!This does not work

4,On my amp,dolby digital+ shows up as dts ex!! Why?

Im sure there will be other questions later:devil: :devil: but please put my mind at rest:D

As for picture and sound so far:eek: :eek:
On my plasma(50phd) perfect storm,the fugitive and jarhead have been awesome for picture with great looking colours and the finest detail on jarhead,i have ever seen via a plasma!!Have checked the standard perfect storm dvd but was amazed how much more vibrant the colour has become .

One thing that does annoy is the film goes back to the start everytime you change resolutions!!(on hd-dvd)

cheers all

I think the answer for 1,2 and 3 is these functions maybe disc specific. Some of the current titles may not support these features in the way they are described in the manual. See the "Notes" bit in the user manual.

The player decodes and encodes to DTS to enable the sound streams i.e movie soundtrack, menu sounds etc to be mixed. This is different to the way DVD works and the internal player decoding/encoding is a requirement for HD-DVD advance authoring spec.

Perfect Storm and Fugative are from 1080i masters and will not look as good. WB have confirmed this and they are replacing any 1080i masters with 1080p were appropriate for their future HD production schedule.

AVI

Avi said:
I think the answer for 1,2 and 3 is these functions maybe disc specific. Some of the current titles may not support these features in the way they are described in the manual. See the "Notes" bit in the user manual.

The player decodes and encodes to DTS to enable the sound streams i.e movie soundtrack, menu sounds etc to be mixed. This is different to the way DVD works and the internal player decoding/encoding is a requirement for HD-DVD advance authoring spec.

Perfect Storm and Fugative are from 1080i masters and will not look as good. WB have confirmed this and they are replacing any 1080i masters with 1080p were appropriate for their future HD production schedule.

AVI
Cheers avi and all the other replies:clap:
Intresting regarding the 1080i masters.I would like to see how much better they could look:eek: :D

ebury said:

cheers all

I play with our HDA1 at work alll the time and I've never had a DVD restart on me when changing the display resolution, it always just continues from where it was.

s.morris said:
Hi Ebury,

There is a info button on the remote that bring up on screen information on what compression type use (ie. VC1) and what sound mode you are in believe it stops on until you press the button again, so if you press the info button then press the sound format button it should tell you what sound mode you are in at the time

Steve

Checked this steve,but it only changes from dolbydigital+ to dts(if the disc has it)All soundtracks are dd+,so you still have no knoledge of what sound you are listening to unless you go into the menu and select from there!!
I do hopethis gets sorted as it is a pain not knowing on screen what sound/commentry your listening too.

rentagas said:
But 4...............................
Dolby Digital plus is decoded internally and output via the analogued 5.1 phonos.
In addition the DD+ is re-encoded as a DTS signal (and a cracking one at that) and output via digital out
Sorry I can't help with the other stuff (my player freezes completely if you try and change resolution)!
So the only way to get the DD+ soundtrack on an amp is via the analog' outputs-on my amp just says EX out(must be DD+?)

If the DD+ sountrack is re-encoded as dts,why do they bother to include dts on some disc's(riddick...etc)?Is the dts soundtrack superior to the re-encoded DD+ dts?:D

You may find the ex out sockets are outputs for an external power amplifier rather than inputs for an external preamplifier which the A1 is acting as.

On my amplifier the subwoofer control comes out of the preamplifier upstream of the 5.1 input so I could not get the subwoofer(s) to work from the 5.1 analog stream.

The DD+ converted DTS output is significantly better than a "normal" DTS signal

ebury said:
So the only way to get the DD+ soundtrack on an amp is via the analog' outputs-on my amp just says EX out(must be DD+?)

If the DD+ sountrack is re-encoded as dts,why do they bother to include dts on some disc's(riddick...etc)?Is the dts soundtrack superior to the re-encoded DD+ dts?:D

Wonder how many times that's been asked ?

If you connect to the Ext Out via analogue your amp isn't decoding anything it's just amplifying the DTS re-encoded signal from the player. The requirement to mix sound on advanced authored titles means the HD-DVD player must decode, mix and then re-encode. Very different to DVD.

Have a read here (It's all good) - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=640949

AVI

Good thread avi:thumbsup:

So these are the best conections for sound(if you have capable amp?)

1) PCM over HDMI - Best (5.1 96/24)
2) Analog - Next Best (5.1 96/24 converted to analog)
3) SPDIF - Third Best (5.1 DTS)

So in theory,the analog output is now the new DD+,although i cant sseem to hear any difference between analog or SPDIF:eek: :D

I wonder if any other companies will release a HD-DVD player with a DD encoder built in instead of the dts one on the toshiba's??

Just watched jarhead for the third time:eek: and the picture looks better all the time

ebury said:
So in theory,the analog output is now the new DD+,although i cant sseem to hear any difference between analog or SPDIF:eek: :D
Which is why I believe that these new fangled lossless soundtracks are a complete and utter waste of valuable disc space. Normal DTS is perfectly fine, hell for DVD's it's been the creme de la creme of Home Cinema Sound for years, now all of a sudden it's rubbish because of lossless soundtracks? BULLS***!! For most people, differences in audio are far less discernible than differences in visuals; therefore as much disc space as possible should go into the picture quality.

Well i can tell!

My audio setup is not as grand as some on here (Pioneer Ax10ai, Mordaunt Short 500 THX 7.1). But the sound from the digital and analogue outputs blew me away on first listening. As the article points out this is no ordinary DTS, it is M&S DTS:D
And the analogue out is even better!
The DDplus is great whether the true lossless formats will sound even better is another matter
Still who cares great sound great picture $500:cool:

rentagas said:
Well i can tell!

My audio setup is not as grand as some on here (Pioneer Ax10ai, Mordaunt Short 500 THX 7.1). But the sound from the digital and analogue outputs blew me away on first listening. As the article points out this is no ordinary DTS, it is M&S DTS:D
And the analogue out is even better!
The DDplus is great whether the true lossless formats will sound even better is another matter
Still who cares great sound great picture $500:cool:
Can you tell the difference between the analog or SPDIF(dts),i'll bet not:devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom