Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

A Few Questions From A Numpty

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Jazz Monkey Jr, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    Hi Guys, another newbie I am afraid. I have been looking throught the forums, but it is hard work to get your head around it all when you are on nights....

I AM THINKING OF PURCHASING A PLASMA TV, I AM WANTING TO CONNECT:
    ON DIGITAL BOX
    XBOX
    SONY 525 DVD PLAYER
    PC (WITH DVI OUTPUT)

I AM LOOKING AT A 42" AND LIKE THE LOOK OF THE VIERA RANGE. I HAVE A BOSE LIFESTYLE 12 FOR MY AUDIO REQUIREMENTS. I AM NOT BOTHERED ABOUT HD, SKY OR ANYTHING COS I AM TOO TIGHT TO SHELL OUT £40/MONTH AND WOULD PREFER TO WAIT A FEW YEARS UNTIL ALL THIS HD BUSINESS HAS SETTLED DOWN. I DON'T WATCH ANY SPORT, SO THAT ISN'T AN ISSUE. I HAVE A PANASONIC TX-32PF10 AT THE MOMENT WHICH IS 100hz, WHAT COMAPRISON WOULD THE PICCY BE TO A DECENT PLASMA?

QUESTIONS:

1. WOULD I BE BETTER GOING FOR A VIERA WITH A BUILT IN TUNER AND SCRAPPING MY ON DIGITAL BOX?
    2. WOULD I BE BETTER SAVING MY MONEY AND A BUYING A PW6/7 (AND WHAT ELSE WOULD I NEED)?
    3. I HAVE GOT DVI ON MY PC GRAPHICS, WOULD THIS CONNECT EASILY (OR WOULD VGA DO)?
    4. WOULD I NEED A JS RGB CONVERTER (AND WHAT DOES IT DO)?
    5. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON PRICES AND RETAILERS?
    6. I WOULD NEED A STAND FOR IT ASWELL.
    7. IS SOUND & VISION A GOOD PLACE TO SEE A PLASMA IN ACTION (I LIVE NEAR PRESTON, LANCS).

THAT'S ABOUT IT... :thumbsup:

THANKS IN ADVANCE

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Looks to me like you are better off with a panel only,and if you are serious with the PC, maybe a HD panel, a Pioneer MXE1 might fit the bill. You will get one for under £2500, it will have DVI and a range of other inputs. You could in fact make do with no video switching, DVI for PC, RGB/VGA converter to VGA for on digital, and s-video for X-box. This leaves component for DVD, but not familiar with the model. If it doesn't have component you could daisy chain it to the on digital. Sound and vision don't have a fine demo reputation, they will likely sell you what they've got in stock. Though as you see I'm a retailer, I have no axe to grind, you are not in a million years coming to me, I'm 200 miles away. I don't know of an alternative though, so maybe start there. Perhaps someone local to yoiu will offer some local advice.

3. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    Thanks for that, my DVD doesn't have component (the 725 has). I might be better not connecting my PC, would I still be better of with a panel, and whats the different between the 6 and 7 series? The PW6 seems very popular on this forum. Is the Viera worth the extra money?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218