A few questions before upgrading to a 1TB box

GaryMo

I currently have one of the early Pace Sky HD boxes which I upgraded with a 500GB hard drive some time ago. It's been pretty reliable but recently it's been quite sluggish to navigate menu's like the planner.
I'm contemplating contacting Sky for an upgrade and would probably go the the 1TB box. A few questions if I may?

Is the new 1TB pretty snappy in the menus/planner?

Do I get the full 1TB for recording as I've read about a 1.5TB HD which I guess this box has?

Going through MySky they seem to add a £60 fee for install. Surely I only need the box posting to me allowing me to self install. Does this £60 fee get waived in this case?

The box first appears as £249 but drops to £49 if I add the HD pack which I wasn't really bothered about but the initial price drop makes it worthwhile. Also I note the addition of £100 of M&S vouchers. Are they a full £100 to spend as and how you wish or something like 10 x £10 off a minimum spend?

Thanks for any help at all.

logiciel

There is one current machine, formerly called Amstrad, now just Sky, in two versions, one with a 500gB drive one with 1.5tB.
The 500 reserves half for Anytime, the 1.5 reserves 500gB.
They work well in every way, as any new machine should do.
The only way to get a firm price, and simply to get it delivered, is to call and discuss it, more than once if necessary.

james_19742000

Novice Member
I have upgraded my old Sky+ HD box today, they wanted to charge me the £49 plus the £60 install fee, but I told them that I wasnt paying for someone to swap a few cables over, eventually they relented and its just the £49 plus £15 self install option.

When I joined Sky a few years ago they had a M&S promo going at the time and it was vouchers to the value of what the promotion was, no restrictions on spend, or minimum spend, but I presume its the same now, so go for it if you can :)

I have upgraded my old Sky+ HD box today, they wanted to charge me the £49 plus the £60 install fee, but I told them that I wasnt paying for someone to swap a few cables over, eventually they relented and its just the £49 plus £15 self install option.

When I joined Sky a few years ago they had a M&S promo going at the time and it was vouchers to the value of what the promotion was, no restrictions on spend, or minimum spend, but I presume its the same now, so go for it if you can :)

Last edited by a moderator:

GaryMo

Just spoke to sales and the price was just £49 for the box with no installation costs, he said delivery was normally £15 but they would waive that. I asked about the vouchers but he seemed to think I wouldn't be entitled to them being an existing Sky HD customer so I said I would look further into it.
I'll probably phone back tomorrow and order the £49 box with self install and free delivery though.

logiciel

That was quick and it was a good result.
I wouldn't expect the vouchers to apply but if they did there'd be no restrictions on using them.

phil davis

Standard Member
Is it possible to get the 1tb box for £49 without having to sign up to multi room.
Getting sick of sky and their fantastic "new" customer offers, seems like being a fully paid up member for ten years counts for nothing!

GaryMo

I was offered it for £49 with free delivery and self installation.
The only requirement was to sign up to the HD subscription for 12 months. Multi-room wasn't a requirement.

logiciel

Just check out the thread Replacement PVRs for details of the way many people have got theirs at prices ranging upwards from free.
All you have to do is ask Sky - and keep asking if necessary.

Last edited:

PlasmaVirgin

Yes - persistence does seem to pay although I'd all but given up on getting a good deal. I had to cancel and then ring them back about 4 times over 2 weeks to get a sensible deal. Tried all approaches but it's just seems to be down to luck of the draw - ie who you speak to and what deals are available on the system when you happen to call.

logiciel

That's correct and it's a bad way to do business and to treat customers, but they can afford to do it.

paul_h

Novice Member
i would wait a bit, there is a 2tb box coming out soon. its just passed staff trials. its going to replace to hardrives in the 895 boxes.

logiciel

The 1.5tB drive is to big already and I certainly wouldn't want anything bigger.
Where are they going to get the drives, and how much are they going to have to pay for them?:confused::)

paul_h

Novice Member
the new drives are going to be fitted to all the 895 boxes. so dont think there will be a 1tb box anymore. not to sure where they getting the drives from or how much its gonna cost. just know that the 895 boxes will be 2tb.

logiciel

The present one is 1.5tB so they gain only 500gB?
The problem is the shortage, and very high prices, of all drives of course.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom