1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions about Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by SilverDragon, Jun 24, 2005.

1. SilverDragon

SilverDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: I have a few questions about my Xbox system. First, how can a get an adapter for the back to use my wireless network and do the guns for House of the Dead 3 on a HDTV? I am online at the moment and would like some help. :confused:

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +732
    You need a wireless bridge to connect your xbox wirelessly to live. and if your HDTV is lcd/plasma or rear projection then i don't think light guns work with them.

3. SilverDragon

SilverDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I know Microsoft sells the Xbox Live Wireless adapter but I don't think I need to pay $120.00 USD for a transmitter. Also, I have seen HD guns for the Xbox on the internet but I do not know if they work or if they are just a scam. Thanks for your input.

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    There is a special gun you can buy which will work with HDTV TVs / Plasma / LCD / Projectors. It basically uses cameras to calculate where you are pointing the gun at.

It costs around £50 overhere, if you do a search on the forums you will find a thread on it.

Any wireless bridge will work with the xbox pretty much. In the UK they cost around £50 ($90) Its also worth considering a dlan setup which allows you to use your homes power grind as a network. If you have a big house this is a good option and no lag. Its also much easier to setup than a bridge. Drawbacks are it costs more and the plug sockets you are sharing the connection over need to be on the same circuit.

Again there are a few threads on this topic in the online gamming forum.

5. SilverDragon

SilverDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information. My current home setup is a fast-speed router (working at 100mbps) with a wireless router (working around 11mbps) set up for my mother to use her work laptop on. Now that I have that wireless router, I can use Xbox live without using an ungodly amount of Ethernet cable. I just didn't know if they made the transmitter part that plugs into the device you are using or if you had to buy them speciality and pay for the large amounts. Once again, thank you both for helping me with this problem.

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If you already have the wireless router all you need is a bridge. Its always worth buying the same bridge as the manufacturer of your router; its much easier to setup.

I will say that personally i`m not keen on wireless connections for gaming. In my house I couldnt get good good enough performance although its an old house and the connection was working over different floors and brick walls.

I switched to the dlan setup for a couple of reasons. It works like a hardwired connection, so there are no overheads (and no lag). Also I can use it to stream video / music to my xbox. You cant really do this with wireless connections because of the packet loss.

That said plenty of people on here use wireless connections and are very happy with them. As many US homes are off a timber frame construction opposed to bricks and mortar its possible to get much better performance out of wireless solutions.