A few questions about the Sony KDL-40EX403 (DLNA etc)

cjones109

Standard Member
Looking at buying a KDL-40EX403 but just wanted to clarify a few things before I splash out.

• What is the difference between this TV and the 40NX503 (which doesn't have 100Hz like the EX503) apart from the looks?
  • Would I be able to play avi files over DLNA from my computer?
  • I can get the TV for about £540 after trade-in, are there any other TVs that I should even consider? (I'm after DNLA if I can play movies from my computer, as well as the internet TV)
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

next010

Distinguished Member
No it doesn't support DivX/AVI files. Basing your buying decision on what kind of media player is built into the TV isn't really that great an idea as pretty much most of the TV media players are not that good.

Samsung is probably the best of the bunch, you should take a look at their offerings you if want a DivX/AVI player built into the TV.

cjones109

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice. Not having divx/avi isn't the end of the world, but the internet tv does sound good (especially with iplayer coming at some point soon?).
Only the series 6 samsungs have the internet TV I believe (corrent me if I'm wrong!) and the price is a bit high.

next010

Distinguished Member
Well there is another option and it wont matter what make TV you have the Viewsonic VMP74 which is a media player (plays most videos) with official BBC iPlayer support and a web browser. Will probably cost about £100-150 I'd guess but it's not out yet & is coming soon.

cjones109

Standard Member
I'll also be needing a blu-ray player so I could just get a Nice TV without the media stuff and then get something like: BDP-S370 (BDPS370) : TV & Home Cinema : Sony which has internet/DLNA/Blu-Ray player?
If I could find a nice TV with freeview HD (My area is already enabled) for a decent price I could do that. The trouble is the samsungs in the right price range don't seem to have freeview HD. Buying a sepereate Freeview HD box would be fine but they don't seem cheap :rolleyes:.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

archie2000

No it doesn't support DivX/AVI files. Basing your buying decision on what kind of media player is built into the TV isn't really that great an idea as pretty much most of the TV media players are not that good.

Samsung is probably the best of the bunch, you should take a look at their offerings you if want a DivX/AVI player built into the TV.

My KDL40ex403 plays DivX files.
DivX needs to be set up in Settings/System Settings.

Its a fantastic TV, I am delighted with it.

Last edited:

Care

Standard Member
I setup a DNLA server on my PC to transcode any (most ?) file formats "on the fly"... see my other post on the latest server software Im playing with !

Transcoding (if you are not familiar with it) converts the format to one the TV accepts... this is done in real time, simply select the file and it plays.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom