1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions about the Panasonic AE700

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pulsar, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Hi everyone.

I have a few questions about the Panasonic AE700 projector.

1. Can it do 1:1 pixel mapping from a htpc via DVI (hdmi)?

2. Does the unit suffer from very bad vb? Has anyone compared it to a Z3?

3. How loud is the unit when running in its quietest mode?

4. How does a RGB sky input look whn connected directly to the pj?

5. Has reliability improved from the AE100?

6. Which firmware is the best, and what improvements have been made from older versions?

I used to own a Sony HS10, which I stopped using about a year ago now. I used to be very happy with the picture produced when fed a 1:1 pixel mapped picture from my HTPC. Things that annoyed me were micro-stutter from using a 56hz refresh rate (forced for 1:1), quite poor black level and the noise it produced. Now I paid £2400 for this projector, and am finding it hard to believe that I can get a brand new projector which will be an UPGRADE for around £1000. Can anyone make a comment on this (Comer?) to put my mind at ease?

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers

Rob

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1) Yes

2) No, for me I have only ever seen it once despite looking for it, even on footie viewing it is very watchable.

3) As loud as a piece of string..... It sits just above my head (70cm on main sofa) on normal mode (low bulb) and it is noticable,,, however turn the volume up with a half decent film and it is gone. I opted to keep the bulb as cool as possible without being too noisy.

4) My Sky+ is via a 10m RGB Scart and it looks great. To be honest when you blow up a regular SKY channel to cinema size it looks atrocious. However, if SKY do broadcast a program/film at a decent bandwidth it is awesome!!!! The difference is VERY noticable.

5) Dont know what you mean by reliability really.... the bulb can apparently last up to 5000 hours and people have reached 3000hours on these forums. The only real problems people have had is with an HDMI white flash problem (gone with latest firmware) and VB (though I have not seen many people complain about this recently....). The picture looks absolutely superb in my opinion.....

6) 1.07 is the newest firmware (not manualy upgradable). It fixes VB very slightly though many people never notice it. It fixed the HDMI issue above. That is all that it has noticably fixed.....

Technology improves with time. I bought a Pentium 1, 60mhz with 32mb of RAM and a standalone 2mb graphics card for £1600..... Doesnt mean I would pay that much now.... unless it was coated in gold.....

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,701
    I really don't see any reason to buy an AE700 over a Sanyo Z3 with the offers available on the Z3 at the moment. If you ceiling mount then the Z3 is definitely quieter, VB isn't really an issue on either projector if you're using the HDMI input. Never mind £1000 you only need to spend £800 http://www.shootandshow.co.uk/sanyo-plv-Z3.htm and that comes with a voucher for a free spare bulb! Seriously the Z3 is every bit as good as the AE700, has better lens shift and is quieter and at £800 it's a bloody bargain.

Cheers,
    Andy.

4. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The Z3 doesn't have the same ability to throw an image, which was the reason I went for an ae700. But as said above when I viewed them together I couldn't tell them apart, so if throw distance is not an issue go for the Z3.

1. Yes

2. A little, only ever noticed on football transmissions on SKY sports.

3. Notcieable in complete silence, but as said above you don't notice it when the film starts.

4. Using HDMI

5. Can't comment .. been very reliable so far.

6. 1.07, HDMI fixed and VB issue cleared up.

5. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    Both the Z3 and the AE700 have the ability to throw an image a very long way, and produce a huge image. The difference is the Z3 has the advantage of being able to throw a bigger picture at a shorter range, thus suiting the majority of UK living rooms. Now, if it so happens that you want to throw a smaller image over a longer range then the 700 is the one to go for.

Regards

Mark

6. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Hi Guys.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

My concerns about reliability stem from the old Ae100 projector when I remember people having to constantly send the units back for repair and new bulbs. I haven't followed projectors much over the last year, and just wanted to check that the situation had improved....... it looks like it has. :)

I am glad to see that it can do 1:1 via hdmi, I have read conflicting reports on this. I was asking about the firmware as there are some second hand units available and they may run an older firmware.

explicitlyrics,

I didn't make my final point clear I suppose. Some of my concerns stem from the fact that the Z3 and AE700 have a lower resolution than the HS10, and I never spotted any vb on my HS10, so going so much cheaper (a third of the price) may not show much of an upgrade. I was hoping that someone who has used both could comment on this.

Cheers

Rob

7. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Your last sentence was my point :)

8. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The panels of the AE700 are exact HDTV resolution so if anything it is a benefit being this size as it would require no scaling of an HDTV picture.

If you are worried then demo any units you are thinking about and purchase from there. The Z3 has a longer warranty if reliability is a real concern.

9. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Thanks again for the replies I have had.

I am not sure why people think I am comparing the AE700 to the Z3?

I would love to get a demo of the Ae700, but I very much doubt that I could find somewhere that is local (within 100 miles), uses a HTPC and has a dark demo room. I have brought many expensive AV items 'blind' as I have had this and other forums to get real user feedback to allow me to formulate an educated guess at their performance.

Cheers

Rob

10. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Yes

I went from the 700 to the Z3 the 700 had no vbs the z3 had loads until a visit from Gordon yesterday that is.
    Loud the Z3 in comparison is silent
    Can't help as i always put it through an rgb to component convertor
    Never had a problem with it
    1.07 i think is the newest and seemingly cures any vb problems

I feel that the Z3 produces better blacks than the 700 is miles quieter has a better warranty and inclusion of a free lamp voucher.

Until Gordons visit yesterday though i was still missing the 700 because of the vbs my Z3 was suffering from thankfully that has all changed :clap: and i would heartily recommend the Z3 over the 700 purely on the noise issue.

Hope this helps

Adrenochrome.

11. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,701
    'I am not sure why people think I am comparing the AE700 to the Z3'

I wasn't, I was just wondering why on earth anyone considers buying the AE700 when the Z3 is £200 cheaper , comes with a free bulb and has a 3yr warranty! I just can't see the sense in it unless there's a very good reason

12. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Andy,

I was asking specificaly about the AE700 because there is/was one in the classifieds with very low lamp hours, £300 screen and mount for just £780. I was already confident that the Z3 is a great unit, but I just wanted some info on the AE700 without comparisons to the Z3 as people would always mention the price.

Anyway, the replies that people have given have been very helpful indeed, and I think I shall get a Z3 based on the reports here.

Oh yeah Andy, if you don't mind me being nosey, what projector are you getting next?

Cheers

Rob