• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

A few questions about MakeMKV

adriandg

i have used MakeMKV for quite a while for ripping my DVDs but I recently bought a blu ray drive so I can rip my ever growing collection of blu rays.

I've got a couple of questions to ask. The home cinema amp that I have at the moment is an older one and will only handle 5.1 surround sound not HD master, but in the future I do plan to upgrade my amp to handle the HD stream. So what I want to know is, in the drop downs on the audio do I tick HD master audio and 3/2+1 (I think that's ow it denotes 5.1 audio) or do I just choose HD master and the amp will be able to convert it to 5.1? It also has a tick box for 2.0 Stereo sound, should I also tick this as I may want to play the files through the speakers on the TV.

I was ripping a blu ray the other day and I noticed that it had two video streams of slightly different sizes for the main feature. One was the usual mpeg4 and the other was vc-1 which was a slightly larger file. I went for the mpeg4, is there any difference?

Thanks for your help

YamahaNut

Choose 3/2+1, don't bother with the HD tracks especially since you can't access it. HD tracks are also enormous size-wise when compared to the standard surround track so keeping them out of the output MKV file will cut down overall filesize significantly. You also don't need to worry about including the 2.0 track, just about any if not all modern TVs can downmix standard DD 5.1 to stereo.

The only reason I would say to tick the DTS-HD MA or TrueHD boxes would be if you plan to upgrade your AVR in the near future, as this would save you the trouble of having to re-rip everything again down the road.

Others may be able to comment on whether or not an AVR that cannot decode TrueHD or DTS-HD MA will be able to downmix it to standard Dolby...my suspicion is that, if you have only that track present and no standard Dolby track, you will get silence. Unfortunately since my AVR can decode those formats I have no way to test it out.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom