A few questions about cancelling Sky

blizeH

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking that during the period of no football (25th May - 17th August) I'm going to see how I get on without Sky and have a Netflix subscription instead.

Just a few questions though:

1) When should I phone Sky to cancel? At the end of this month? (say 26th onwards?)
2) Will I still get any channels through my Sky box?
3) Will the free channels (BBC etc?) be broadcast in HD through Sky?
4) Will any of my current recordings (mostly free stuff or movies) still play?

Sorry for asking on here, I'd ask Sky directly but not sure how honest they'd be to try and keep me :)

Thanks!

1. Yes as there is a 30 day notice period
2. The free channels
3. Yes.
4. No, you will need a Sky+ sub @ £10.25 a month to watch the free recordings.

For what it's worth, you should WRITE to Sky using paper, envelope and Recorded Delivery. Be sure to include your COMPLETE details including your name, address, subscriber number, card number and anything else they mention in their Terms & Conditions as a requirement for cancelling. Keep a copy and staple your proof of posting onto it.

If you want to pay £10.25 per month to retain the PVR functions you MUST include this request at the time of cancelling because, AFAIK, it can't be applied retrospectively.

If you discuss anything by phone, mistakes can happen and you'll have no record of what was discussed.

Thanks all :) Just cancelled - interestingly they didn't even try to keep me, offer a cut down package, I just went through to cancellations, confirmed my details and "that's all been processed for you, bye!"

Quite bizarre considering I've been a member for years, currently paying £72p/m and I've never been a bother to them.

Too late now but I go with M P about getting it all in writing, though the e-mail form at MySky should be enough.
They did what you asked, cancelled your subscription, so that's no surprise, but expect to hear more!

Thank you, to be honest having read Martin's post I had intended to write to cancel, but last night as a knee jerk reaction to the football decided I didn't want to wait and just phoned to cancel there and then.

Interested to hear what kind of offer they come out with now :) They didn't even say "do you want to keep the basic package?" or "do you want to keep the recording functions?" just let me cancel straight off...

I just cancelled too and also was not offered any discount to stay. After 12+ years on the full package I'd expected at least a little discounted offer...

You'll get offers through the post in the up and coming weeks\months, 50% off for 6\12 months etc.

Interesting, Sky called last night and offered me 20% off for 12 months. I politely declined, but seems they do follow up with offers after all!

Ah! Nice

To be honest it'll probably take a lot more than 20% to tempt me back though, and hopefully I'd make some savings by cancelling movies and ESPN at least.

Well I just cancelled Sky Sports + Sky Movies so runs until end of the Football Season and then that's it. Strangely I wasn't offered any discounts or even asked why I wanted to cancel. I have effectively halved my monthly bill and doubt I would add the packages back in unless I was offered an excellent discount in the future. Sky is just getting too expensive for channels that I barely watch.

This time of year is probably not the time to cancel sports AND expect a retention offer as there wuill be loads of other footy fans doing exactly the same for the close season etc...

When i phoned to cancel my sports subs l;ast year the chap i was speaking to said the best times to call and get more chance of being offered something are December, January (People saving for xmas & skint after xmas) and June/July. (People saving for summer hols & skint after summer hols).

It just so happens it was July when i called and i got a £9pm discount for 12 months. When it runs out i'm toying with cancelling Sky Sports and using that £12pm to pay for the upgrade of our Sky Broadband to Sky Fibre broadband.

Cheers

Dave.

With Sky there isn't a best time for anything.
You ask at any time and never know what you'll get, then if it's not what you want you apply PPP.

I agree there Logi.... I think what the guy i spoke to was saying was that you have more of a chance at those times than others of being offered a slightly better deal etc... ;)

Cheers

Dave.

:thumbsup:and therefore less of a need for PPP.

This time of year is probably not the time to cancel sports AND expect a retention offer as there wuill be loads of other footy fans doing exactly the same for the close season etc...
Dave.

Historically this has been the best time to threaten to cancel sports and get it free for a few months until the footie reason restarts. I know of people who have been doing it successfully for years.

I can't test it this year since I cancelled my own Sky package last month, and my family back home are already on a hefty discount.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom