A few questions about 1080p displays

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Oli107, Mar 24, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Oli107

Oli107

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

This is my first post, but i have been reading around the forum for a few days. I am upgrading an old fujitsu plasma (almost 4 years old now) and am considering moving to LCD. The display will be used mostly for movies and general TV via an S-video cable from Sky+. I will be upgrading to Sky HD but not immediately. I cannot afford to get a seperate scaler box like a lumagen either. So, bearing in mind that most of my content for the moment will not be HD, how will the current generation of LCD panels which offer a 1080p resolution (i am especially looking at the Toshiba 47WLT66 or 42WLT66) display my content? I am not sure i can bring myself to buying a set that cannot display 1080p when i know that within a year i intend to have a BLU-RAY player. And i do not intend to upgrade the display for at least another 3-4 years.
    Wihtout the upscaler will content look worse moving to a 1920x1080 resolution than it does with my current 852x488 resolution plasma? If so, then i may have to buy a cheaper plasma that can accept 1080i inputs and hope to upgrade earlier.
    My final question is if anyone knows what the new toshiba displays are like at displaying fast movement Other than my PC displays i have not used LCD TVs much and know that this is supposed to be a major disadvantage vs plasma.

Thanks for any help,

Oli Viner

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    First and foremost, the TV will have a built-in scalar. The use of an external one is mainly for projector users as pjs lack this function. You have to appreciate that whilst the externals are expensive (for quite good reason), the difference between them and the in-built one will not be night and day. More a case of one being good, the other being better.
    Basically, the in-built scalar has to be good enough to make the TV useable for all resolutions likely to be thrown at it.
    Don't necessarily jump at a big screen purely based on name brand and sheer size - go look at one with a regular DVD player and a couple of DVDs you know intimately. Essentially, the better movies will give you an idea of best case scenario with broadcast resolution. If you know of a bit of a lemming DVD where the image is not so great, then that would be useful to see if an almost worst case scenario is liveable with or so bad as to discount that particular model from any shortlist you have.

My own personal opinion is that with 1080 panels, the scalar has to be better than perhaps they would use on a 768 panel, either smaller or of similar size. Motion issues become more apparent once you hit 37" in size and using 768 panels. I imagine this is somewhat resolved when 1080 panels are used, but still the electronics have to do a fair amount of work to make the best of the resolution on offer and what's feeding that resolution.

Take your time in getting the right TV rather than a TV right now.