A few querys over upscale dvd players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sarah3585, Apr 26, 2007.

1. sarah3585

sarah3585
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The other half wants a upscaling dvd player. Currently we have the panasonic plasma 37 p70, at the moment we are using the xbox 360 which is connected via component. We are interested in the panasonic s52 upscale dvd player. My question is; is there really going to be much of an improvement over the xbox 360?

2. Silver Serpent

Silver Serpent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    The resolution on a TH37PX70 is 1024x720, so you could upscale to 720p and probably see a slight difference.

Am I right in thinking the Xbox 360 upscales over VGA?

If so you could save alot of money.

One thing I hate about watching dvd's with the 360 is the noise off the player though.

3. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Not unless you buy something really good.

4. Kristian Groot

Kristian Groot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only improvement is that the irritating noise will be gone. The Panny has a good upscaler so why buy an upscaling player? I'm in the same boat as you and I'm buying the S33 cause I really can't stand the noise of the 360 when watching movies, but I don't need the upscaling feature from the S52.

5. sarah3585

sarah3585
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone confirm this??

6. durk

durk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yes the xbox does upscale over vga but not terribly well! alot of people find the colours very washed out looking! a decent dvd player will give you a much better picture:thumbsup:

7. Stuart

Stuart
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,165
    I tried the Microsoft VGA cable with my Panny 50PX60 and I found the colours washed out. I couldn't revert back to component quick enough.

8. phindme

phindme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've said this in another thread but i will repeat it here any way ;)

i have a Panny s52 but it is most likely going back by the end of the week (bought today) as i can barely see a difference between a dvd (harsh times) playing on the s52 compared to through my xbox 360, sure the 360 is noisy but not noisy enough for me to want to spend £100.

I guess i was hoping the upscaling technology was at the sub £100 mark but from my setup it doesn't look like it. In all fairness i don't have an amazing TV ( Aoc L32w551t 32") so this might have something to do with it, i'm about a million miles from knowing much about all this stuff so i'm only sharing my experience so far.

9. tricky1974

tricky1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a s52 with my panny plasma (37PV500) and at standard def it can hold its own with my marantz dv7600,the main reason i use it,is not for its upscaling but its easy to region free,and it plays everything i've put in it?i don't think theres any point buying a expensive upscaling dvd player 'cause tv's will scale the picture anyway,and i think panny(tv's) have good scalers.