a few Q about 3910 dvd player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rmask, Aug 5, 2005.

1. rmask

rmask

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    1. Will it play DVD+R,RW (online pdf manual mentions only "-")

2. Is menu and disk navigation speed and layer change speed bugs fixed in some fw (read about this in some reviews)?

3. Will it play mp3 on DVDs, is ID3 tag supported (not important, but still useful sometimes)
    ?
    4. Any bugs upconverting videos to 720?

5. your comments

XXX. any rumours about replacement comming out soon?

Thanks

2. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Not reliably - it'll play DVD-Video recorded on some recordable discs, and it does seem to prefer -R to +R. It's much more fussy than, for example, the Pioneer it replaced in my system which would play pretty much anything you put in it.

I've got the latest firmware, and it's still pretty sluggish at navigating. If the firmware upgrades made a difference, it wasn't huge.

No to either - won't play MP3 off DVD, and it uses the file name rather than the ID3 tag information for MP3 on CD.

I use mine outputting 720p to a ViewSonic LCD over DVI, and the picture is excellent. One small bug is that sometimes the LCD doesn't quite sync on the DVI signal, causing a jerky effect - to fix this, you change the LCD to another input and then back to DVI. Once it is sync'ed properly, it stays sync'ed. This may well be the panel rather than the player.

It's a good universal player - excellent picture, sound and build, let down by a slow, clunky user interface. Sounds very good on CD, DVD and SACD, and if you have a compatible Denon Link 3 equipped amp, it is a very good combination. It's expensive for what you get though, given that you can get a decent universal player from Pioneer for 1/5 the price, which is probably nicer to use if not quite as polished as the Denon in terms of picture and sound.

3. rmask

rmask

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    mine plays +R fine, plays +RW ok too if its been recorded at a slower rate and finished properly......

on the mp3 side of things, i may be mistaken but i thought i had played DVD with mp3 on it......i'll try next time i find my mp3 backup disc.....its lost in some big boxes from storing stuff atm...lol.....its quite possible im wrong and rembering wrongly so dont flame me for it...heh....i'll check tho..

edit: oh, and its got a fantastic picture quality and the sound is stunning if you take care in setting things up (distances, levels etc) and use nice equipment with it.....dont pair it up with cheap amp or speakers, its a waste of its talents to do so....(i auditioned 12 DVD players when choosing this...lol)

5. rmask

rmask

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Knyght_byte thanks for the input

does it play +R recorded at any speed (most of mine burned at 8-12x)?

Can someone else comfirm this?

thx

6. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Mine plays +R discs ok, not had it refuse to play anything yet, the only one I've not tried is +RW (and RAM of course).

Have just been watching a friends wedding video on it, don't know what speed it was burnt at, but it was done on a pc not a recorder.