1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few problems with a Panasonic 28PL1?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Danatthepub, Jan 2, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Danatthepub

Danatthepub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As above, i have recently brought a Panny 28PL1 and have a few minor problems:-

1. When there is a light and a dark part on the screen i.e. sky and then grass or something like that the white part seems to warp slightly to the left or right side of the screen?

2. The left and right side of the screen there is a blurry patch a bit like 2 blurry bars. Its only slight but a bit annoying when you are watching a film and it has some text which is blurred?

3. How do you get into the service menu so i can try and correct these problems if i can? Or would i do more harm than good?

Thanks in advance.

Dan.

2. jbooth

jbooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is for the PL10 32" so might be the same??
    to get into the service menu do the following

1. select max bass
    2. select minimum treble
    3. Goto to the TV ,flip the front cover and push -/V
    4. push index on the remote

not sure what all the settings do but im sure someone will know.

James

3. erbrod

erbrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The warping on the screen (especially on whites) seems to be common to all widescreens in 4:3 mode. None a perfect and the Pannys seem to be better than some. Pot luck if yours is a good set or not. In widescreen, the setup of the screen is usually such that it extends beyond the visible edges of the screen and you shouldn't notice it. If you can, this is a problem and should be looked at.

Others have complained about the blury bars but I cannot see them on this set, but make sure you are not watching the set in 'just' mode as this 'extends' the left and right of the screen to fill the widescreen image but leave the middle part of the screen in relatively normal aspect. This has the effect of making anything moving across the screen (text, cars etc) look very strange! I always watch 4:3 TV in zoom mode - you loose some of the top and bottom of the picture but it does not seem to matter, so long as there is no text to read.

If you can't live with the TV, get a refund as soon as. The longer you leave it, the harder it is to get your money back.

4. Danatthepub

Danatthepub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The warping only happens when i am watching a DVD or play on my PS2 in RGB, there both in widescreen and not 4:3 mode and the tele is set to panasonic auto. I got it from powerhouse on the 27/12/02 so i have still got time to take it back. Do you think that anything can be done about it in the service menu? And thanks for you help!

5. erbrod

erbrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's not a lot of adjustments in the service menu. I would report to the retailer as a fault and get an 'engineer' (technician) to take a look. However, if they do a 28 day refund / replace of faulty good, make sure you get it done in this period as from experiance, things get hairy beyond these limits, especially when they say everything is 'fine' any you want to go an throw the goods out of the window ..... !