1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few plasma questions (resolution etc)...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Grand Dizzy, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm buying my first plasma and have a few questions. Any response would be greatly appreciated...

Sony questions

1) In all the showrooms I've looked in, the Sony model looks head and shoulders above the others in terms of colour and contrast (although I've only seen one model, the KeP42M1) Is Sony the best? I've heard it is, but is that true?

2) Is WEGA really all that good? Does it make much of a difference? Do other manufacturers have anything similar to WEGA? All these Sony proprietory things such as Digital Reality Creation... are they worth getting a Sony for? And if so, why aren't Sony plasmas pushed by the showrooms and plasma magazines? I opened a plasma magazine yesterday and I don't recall any of their top ten buys being a Sony!

3) I've been impressed with the Sony picture, and thinking about getting one, but I'm having trouble finding a model (42-50") with a nice bezel. By 'nice bezel' I mean one that is square with sharp corners and is black. Is there such a thing?

Resolution questions

4) Why are there no plasmas on sale that use the same vertical resolution as TV (ie 576 lines)? Considering 80% of the world use this resolution, you'd think there would be loads of 576-line plasmas. So where are they? I've never seen one. And why do they sell plasmas in this country that are lower resolution than the TV signal!? Am I missing something here?

5) Why are there no (or very few) 50" plasmas with a vertical resolution of 1024? Surely as you go up to the bigger screens, resolution becomes more and more important? But it doesn't seem that way! I'm finding it very difficult to find any 50" with 1024 lines. Again, am I missing something here?

6) If HD is 1080 lines - why are the highest resolution plasmas 1024 lines? Who exactly is supposed to be able to view all 1080 lines? This slight difference in resolution will force the image to be interpolated and the whole thing will look really nasty. Very few of the lines will be "pure" and most of them will be hybrids of two lines of the image. Is the whole world crazy or is it just me?

Line doublers?

7) This progressive scan/line doubling thing confuses me. Plasmas with line doublers take an interlaced signal and double up the lines to fill the gaps, thus keeping the 50fps framerate? If that's the case then you'll get half the resolution. Right? That can't be right... can it?

Recommendations?

8) All I know for certain is that my plasma has to have a vertical resolution of 1024 (or greater) in order to clearly show all 576 lines of my TV signal. Given this, does anyone have a recommendation for a really great screen (at a good price)?

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    First off what will be your main source? DVD,SKY,PC?

PAL dvd's (region 2) have a resolution of 720x576 the same with digital broadcasts from NTL or sky. This is SD or standerd resolution.

There isnt a plasma on sale that has a verticle res of 576 because this is a PAL res. plasma's are made to NTSC res which is 480. But PAL dvd's are easily scaled to fit these resolutions. Higher res panels are only recommended for PC or hdtv use (hdtv not in uk yet) if used with dvd's there will be no real benifit as the plasma has to scale the image up, which can result in more digital noise.

So if you will be using this mostly then an SD Plasma would be better for you.

I would highly recommend the panasonic PW7. hundreds are selling from this forum for two reasons. 1. very cheap can be had for around £1800. 2. It has the best picture quality of any plasma in any price range because panasonics have such a high quality glass.

Very few brands actualy make there own plasma panels they use panels from other manufactures. And panasonic are at the top of there game in plasma technology.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    phillfyspoon - can't agree. Upscaling does work, often very well indeed. It can (and often does) actually increase the subjective level of detail in the image. Most projector users use this technique all the time.

??? x 480 plasmas actually look quite coarse - not just because of the actual resolution, but because of the coarseness of the pixel grid - in projectors it's known as chicken wire, and it's evident on low-res plasmas, too.

Grand Dizzy :
    1, 2: Brand names. Make your own mind up. These are just marketing tools to describe processes that pretty well all sets have in one form or another. Philips call it pixel plus, I believe.

3: Dunno. How about looking at Sony's website?

4: Plasma panels are all made for worldwide use. Developed in NTSC countries (480 lines). Only the driving and scaling circuits differ between territories - the actual panels are the same.

5: Doesn't need to be 1024 - but in principle you're right. Bigger panels should have more pixels, so as to conceal the chicken wire. And the upscaled image will (in most cases) look more detailed that in its native state.

6: Again, right in principle. However even downscaling (interpolation) doesn't make things as bad as you make out.

7: Not right. Regardless of whether it's interlaced or progressive, a standard definition PAL TV signal has 576 usable lines. As an interlaced signal, it's presented in the sequence 1,3,5,7.....573,575,2,4,6,8....574,576. This sequence takes 1/25 sec, and contains all 576 lines. As a progressive signal it's presented as 1,2,3,4,5,6......575,576, again, taking 1/25 sec and containing all 576 lines. Typically, progressive displays take this full frame, and hold it in memory, and display it 2 or 3 times (instead of once) in 1/25 sec. Scalers (including line doublers) take this full array of 576 lines (however presented in the signal), place it intro memory and then re-map it onto the resolution array required for the device. Nothing is lost, unless the output device is of lower resolution than the signal.

8: Actually, it has to have a resolution of ???x576 or more to show PAL in full detail. There are plasmas, plenty of them, out there with higher resolution panels. However, for the largest number of pixels, consider LCD instead.

To be honest, I'd seriously consider evaluating your new purchase on how it looks, rather than how it appears to be specified. Subjective factors play a great part here; many people prefer the look of lower-resolution screens; the visibility of the pixel grid gives a false, but comforting, impression of sharpness and detail.

4. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks to you both for the help — particularly LV426.

The thing is, for me, the resolution is probably the most important thing! I just really don't like and don't want 480 line images. We live in a country with a much higher resolution than that, and it's a visibly higher resolution. When I've been to America, the TV resolution looked rubbish compared to what I'm used to. I don't want to downgrade to this lower resolution. I've bought a lot of movies in region 2 specifically because of the higher resolution. If I was going to buy a 480-line plasma then I'd have been better off buying them from region 1 and getting the accurate playback speed.

5. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you need is a 50" plasma or larger LCD or even DLP TV.

6. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    afaik sony dont make a plasma but Buy the glass from samsung
    so if your convinced that sony is the way to go just do it, its your eyes AND your wallet