1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few NW-HD5 Clarifications

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Omat128, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Omat128

Omat128

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just wanted to ask some things about the NW-HD5, to see if i should get it. About the music that can be played on it, can my existing collection on my computer be transfered to the NW-HD5 or do i have to rip every single one of my cd's, because it would get annoying than, i have over 250cd's and i would never rip them again, it'd take forever.

Another thing, is that does it play gapless playback w/ mp3's or just the Atrac3's? I wouldn't want to convert my collection to Atrac3's like i do w/ my MD player, i just really want to stick w/ mp3's.

Last thing, have they fixed the Cracked Buttons on the newer editions of the HD5 or would i have to wait a little bit before they fix them completely.
    Thank you for your reply.

Edit: Oh, another thing, this is a huge one. Is it compatible with Windows 98. I know Sonic Stage is but is the NW-HD5 compatible with it. Or do i have to upgrade to XP. I know the Ipods not compatible w/ 98, but i do now the Creative Zen Touch is, so that'd be my next choice.

2. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Omat,

Yes, you can transfer your existing collection without the need to re-rip them, no problem. If you do decide to re-rip them into Atrac format though, you should find that the battery lasts longer, that you have more options available with the graphic equalisers and sound settings and depending on bit rate chosen, you may find that you can fit more songs on.

Atrac's playback perfectly gapless, mp3's do not but although noticable the gap is very very small indeed. Just a fraction of a second.

Cracked buttons, good question. I would think any silver units that you could buy at present would be subject to cracking. But I don't know for sure so don't quote me on that one...

Windows 98 compatability, can't really help you with that one, sorry. I think the manual states that it is but I'm not sure. Again don't quote me.

Hope that helps.

3. clivem2

clivem2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For Windows 98 I suspect you need edition 2 as edition 1 didn't really support USB properly.

4. sazza42

sazza42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sonic Stage seems to be extremely picky about the operating system it runs on. I had to upgrade from 98 to XP to run SS 1.5 & I had to completely re-install XP again to get 3.1 to run. However, my computuer is an antique & gets upset about all sorts of things I try to do to it, so don't take my word as gospel! The HD5 manual (which you can download from the Sony website before you buy anything) says it will only work with factory installed operating systems. In other words, if you fiddle with anything, it's your fault, not their temperamental software...

By the way - my Sonic Stage now works like a dream after hours of tearing my hair out the day I installed it & I love my new HD5 - have absolutely no complaints about it at all.

5. sazza42

sazza42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As for the cracked buttons problem - go for a black one. They seem to be cracking less. My black one is fine (I'm keeping a hawks eye on it) & I'm not careful with my stuff - I've already dropped it twice!

6. Omat128

Omat128

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is it really only the silver one that cracks. If so, i'll probably be ending up getting that one, even though i've had my eye on the silver one. But i'd rather have a black one w/ no cracks than a silver one with. And about the 98 thing, i have Sonic Stage on it perfectly, but i just wanna know if it will recognize the HD5.

7. sazza42

sazza42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to warn you - there HAVE been some reports of the black ones cracking, but mine hasn't (yet).