1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a few newb questions on the pana e85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Halloween Jack, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all, i've just bought the pana e85 and i'd really like some advice on getting the most out of it so here's some questions:

1) is there much of a disernable difference between xp and sp? what do you guys do? i guess movies have to be sp to fit onto a dvd, so is it really worth using xp for anything?

by the why i mostly archive comedy series and films for future personal viewing.

2) which format do you guys tend to use dvd-r or dvd-ram? on one hand dvd-ram are more flexable but with a hdd do you really need this. and on the other hand dvd-r will work on other machines but they're only for my use and i only have that machine.

3) does dvd-ram hold twice as much at the same res?

4) should i get these dvd-rams in cartridges?

5) if i buy a pioneer 108 for my pc will i be able to copy any dvd-r to dvd-rams (or indeed make dvd+r versions if i ever change my machine) and vice versa or should i use the hdd? basically will it always be fairly easy to change formats in the future?

6) what are these 'record once only broadcasts' as mentioned in the manual? are they like sky box office movies?

sorry for so many questions but i really want to understand these new (to me) record formats

thx

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    1) XP is noticeably better than SP and I will always record onto the HDD in XP if I intend to archive to a dvd later. As I use the older HS2 I have no option to archive at multi speed anyway and prefer to record to dvd at FR to exactly fill the disc at best quality achievable for that program length after editing out the ads, over-run etc on the HDD.

2) You will hardly need any -ram. except in the following circumstances, a) your hard drive is full and you wish to save some episodes of a seies for later archiving to -r in one operation, or b) you have a ram compatible drive in your computer and wish to transfer recordings to the pc for editing. My HS2 came with 3 ram media, and I actually use them on the pc for data back-up, and have only recently bought some more as they ar full.

3)Yes and No, some media are double sided but obviuosly need manualy turning over to record on the other side. It seems cheaper to buy 2 single sided than 1 double sided ram anyway. To get double the quality you would have to split the program in half and record half to each side, but this is much more expensive than using 2 naked media and storing in a double box! The whole point of ram is that naked or in a case it is a very durable media and can be re-used many times. You really don't need that durability to store 1 program for a long period as inevitably it will only be played a handfull of times in the period of the next few years whilst the media remains supported.

4) they are more expensive in cartridges, very few pc drives will accept them, unless you take them out of the cartridge. The choice is really yours, and as you will hardly ever use them is a little irrelevant anyway. Remember that -r media is down to around 35p a go now so they can almost be considered as disposable short term storage in their own right, with the advantage that any other player will play them, which is very unlikey with -ram media.

5) it is always possible to extract video files using the right software and record them to other media as long as your drives can read and write to the media in question. I have no idea what the 108 can read and write too, personally I use an lg drive.

6) I have never come across one of these. Bear in mind that you can't copy from any -r media back to the hdd even if you have just dubbed it from the machine itself, so you can't copy bought or -r media directly.

Don't worry about the formats too much, all you need to know is that the machine will record to -r at around 35p a time, these can be played in virtually all current machines and will certainly last until another media takes over in a few years time.

3. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx mate. that really has bben alot of help.

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although Ken records on the HDD in XP,you do not need to.If you know the running time of the finished edit,record to the HDD in that quality(I think you have to use the Timer to get it to record longer than the FR time)then you can edit and copy to dvd at high speed without any re-encoding.
    You only need to copy in real time and re-encode if you do not know the runn ing time of your final edit.

5. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have an E85 and it is possible to dub back to hdd from -R as long as the content on the disc is not copy protected although it is only possible at single speed.

6. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx guys. i'm afraid they'll probably be quite a few more questions to come. but just for now only 2:

say if i had a vhs with 6 episodes of comedy on. what's the best way to get them onto dvd-r? would i go via the hdd? surely that must lower quality sligtly? do i then use fr to fit it onto a dvd-r?

also i have quite this cables for vhs to dvd should that be ok since it's vhs? or should i invest in good cables all round.

thx again for you help :thumbsup:

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Discover the running length of each episode (e.g. 26 mins) and decide how many you want per disk (e.g. 6). Calculate length x number of the disk (so in this case 26 x 6 = 2hrs 36mins) and use that setting to record onto the HDD using Flexible Record. Edit/trim as required and enter title names. Then dub in high speed to DVD-R - there will no no quality loss during this dub as it is all digital and nothing is being changed.

I suggest you play around/get used to the unit prior to archiving your collection. For example ensure you set the DVD-R compatibility option prior to recording as otherwise you are limited to a realtime dub (with associated quality loss).

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    It is worth using good cables from a VHS VCR - don't overdo it - but you'll notice the difference between a 'free' scart cable and, for example, a QED.

9. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx guys

10. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rasczak: if i record onto hdd with fr, won't that just record the source according to the space on the hdd? and when i record to dvd-r it will need to compress? thx

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    No - when you use FR directly onto the HDD it will allocate a 4.7GB space on the drive and set the bitrate accordingly - just as if you were using it on an empty DVD-RAM/DVD-R. Thus when you come to dub to DVD-R it is already at the correct compression.

12. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,757
    I've bought a few RAM disks to play about with different recording settings, this means that you don't have to waste a disk.

13. tdale

tdale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak, a questuon that HJ may also find interesting. I thought that for high speed dubbing, tjhe mode has to be the same for the titles going onto the DVDR. I.e. all XP. all SP, etc, or all FR that wer5e recorded at the same rate.
    But when I make a DVDR, all my titles that are on the HDD, hich are differing record modes, all show the icon for "can be high speed dubbed" I assumed that the DVD spec requires that the end-vobs are all the same bitrate.

What is the answer!!

Cheers

14. tdale

tdale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops, I have an E85

15. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx ras and others. now for a matter of opinion. if i'm archiving american 1hr shows (ie real time about 42') how many do you guys think i should put on a dvd-r? quality is important but one per disk seems a bit impracticle. also what about something like the simpsons? i guess i could turn up the compression for that kind of source. how many do you think i should put on each disk.

obviously this is subjective but i'm just curious how you guys use it.

thx

16. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I archive West Wing from E4. I record in SP, remove the ads and episodes log in around 42mins. I've been putting three onto each DVD with no discernible loss in quality from SP (E4's low broadcast quality and WW's dim lighting makes XP recording pretty much redundant to my eyes)

17. tdale

tdale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find that a very good quality TV show, is fine at SP. If the picture quality is average, then I find that 3 hiour mode on the E85 is just fine, as it is for Divx movies. The E85 does not drop to half res (D1) until a tick over 3 hours, most other recorders are about 2 hrs 20 or 2 hrs 30. So an FR mode of 180 give sme 3 hours. I find the Pixar movie sare ok at LP as they are less needy of bitrate, as compared to the higher textiues of "real" movies. Similarly, kids cartyoon mocues are fine at EP 6 hours mode

18. tdale

tdale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    best to do what I did, get a program on TV, ideally where the content stays similar, anmd recprd 1 minute at XP, them SP., then FR 180, then LP, thats 1,2,3,4 hour modes, then view them.

19. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    They only have to be the same if you use a Playlist - you can high speed dub different titles recorded at different bitrates to a single DVD-R.

20. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    Ive been doing the same with the new series of Battlestar Galactica episodes come in at 40 min mark after editing.Each episode is about 1350 MB which is just over 4000MB for 3 episodes leaving 400MB or so free.I was just wondering if its worth recording in XP mode then altering the size of each episode on the PC with DVD Shrink so that 3 episodes fully fill the disk at the best quality.Any opinions if its worth doing it this way ?

21. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what are you using to burn dvds on your pc? i've just bought one and found out that win xp can't record data or media to dvds. it seems nuts that i have to fork out £50 to do this.

also battlestar galactica is pretty good isn't it? just caught the pilot and i'm going to start recing the rest of the series.

22. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    The first episode i recorded was in XP so i dubbed to a Ram disk and transferred it to PC and used DVD Shrink to re-encode it to around 1500MB in size (originally 2850MB in XP mode) so i could fit 3 episodes on 1 dvd-r.My dvd drive reads ram disks but cant write to them so i had to burn this episode on the PC to a DVD+RW then transfer that to the E-85.I know its getting complicated :laugh: There are numerous ways to do it and the only reason i tried it was because i inadvertently recorded that first episode in XP mode instead of SP.

23. tdale

tdale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They only have to be the same if you use a Playlist - you can high speed dub different titles recorded at different bitrates to a single DVD-R.

What is a playlist as compared to the dubbing list?