A few newb questions, and the DENON AVR1507

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Vyncenze, Jan 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Vyncenze

Vyncenze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello.

Completely new to this, so just wondering if someone can check my thinking makes sense.

I am intending to buy a 37XD1E (small living room, think 42 would be too big). Into this, I want to connect an Xbox 360, Wii, DVD player, and eventually HD-Sky and PS3. Now, since the TV only has one shared component/VGA connection (and I want decent sound in any event), I am intending to kill two birds with one stone by connecting both the Wii and 360 to it via an av amp. I am currently looking at the Denon AVR1507 or something similar (base don this forum). Is this a reasonable/sensible thing to do?

Can anyone see any problems with this set-up (besides the fact that the amp doesn't support HDMI, but I can't stretch to that at the moment)? Presumably all HDMI sources (Sky-HD etc) have a seperate audio out, so I can still connect them to the amp for sound?

Bearing in mind the budget (less than £200 for speakers, ideally), and the fact the room is quite small (16ft x 13ft ish) can anyone suggest a good speaker set to complete this set-up?

Apologies for the newb questions, I have done some reading around, but I don't want to spend all this money and find I've overlooked something obvious...

Thanks in advance

Joe

2. Benny06

Benny06

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hi m8, im new to this, ive just got myself a 1907, for £280, if you can stretch to it, you might want to consider it. normally £350, Weymouth Hi-fi if your interested...

I assume you want a 5.1 speaker set up? in which case your best of getting a speaker package like this....

http://www.richersounds.com/productlist.php?cda=productlist&sgroup=SPEAKERPACKAGES&sort=price

which ever one of those takes your fancy, to save me posting all the links.

Youve got 3 component input on the 1507, and then 1 out to the Tele, so you can select which you want the amp to feed. You can link the 360's sound via optical input for sound, if you wanted. But that would be all your optical inputs used up, as the out on teh back of the TV will want to go to one too. You get 3 with the 1907(optical in's) one extra on the front. You'l need to buy a component lead to connect the amp to the TV. Cabling can be quite expensive!

a 2 meter optical lead set me back £30 and i need another 1 meter and another 2 meter, so thats £80 on optical leads! speaker wire can be price too, but a speaker package should come with some.

Im not sure what connection the Wii uses?

but yeh, your looking at a good starter set up there imo

Thats the best of my knowledge, maybe someelse will be able to help you further :thumbsup:

3. Vyncenze

Vyncenze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Benny,

Thanks for that. I guess that was probably the point I was missing, I will run out of sound inputs to the amp if I try to plug all those sources in, won't I?

4. lemons

lemons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Vyncenze, I feel your pain, choosing an av receiver is hell for the uninitiated! All half decent amps will accomodate that number of inputs, and you will find that all the sources you mention will have separate audio outputs.

The AVR-1507 is a great amp, and between it's three component inputs and the two HDMI's on the telly you mention you have room for the five sources you mention above, there is only room for four digital audio inputs - two coaxial and two optical, but then the wii I believe has only stereo phono out so no problem there. However (there's always one of those) of your remaining four sources, definitely three (and possibly all four) carry optical audio outs. I would suggest therefore that you use the two optical inputs for xbox and sky, coaxial for dvd and ps3 (with the use of an optical to coaxial converter for £15 on the ps3).

I could suggest other amps, but this just muddies things further - it's a nice amp, go and listen to it and interrogate a salesman!

Hope this helps.

5. Benny06

Benny06

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What lemon sed, spot on.

Yep you will run out of OPTICAL inputs, but you have 2 other co-axial etc etc, intergogate a sales man, and get him to right down what goes where on the back, so u know exactly where to plug what and which cables u need, when u order from somewhere else!:rotfl:

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    dont forget, you can always buy optical switchboxes, quite simple relatively small devices that allow you to connect multiple (say 3 or 4) optical devices to it, it then routes the one you have selected to the amps optical input, bit like the Scart switchers people used to use on CRT TV's ;)

cheaper AV amps are usually limited to a couple of each digital input, whereas more expensive kit normally expands this as its assumed that the more the amp costs the more likely the person will own masses of other kit ;)

my 3803, a £1k amp back in its heydey some 3-4 years ago has i think 4 or 5 optical inputs plus a couple of coaxials......whereas my Sherwood amp, probably a year older model only had one of each if i remember as it was a £250 amp ;)

7. Benny06

Benny06

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    how much is one looking at for one of these switch boxes, as the 1907 i have only has 2 on the back and one on the front, My Tv and PC are in the back and the xbox 360 is going in the front one, worried it'l look a bit pants so might consider buying a switch box if they arent expensive.

However i have labelled TV/Dbs to come up as 'TV' on the screen of the unit, DVD/VDP as 'PC' and VCR as 'Xbox 360', pritty sure i'd loose this as it'd just be using one of the above titles, and then selecting which source from the switch box...

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    hmm, i dont think the optical switchboxes cost a lot, certainly not passive ones anyhow....probably something like £20..

i'll have a look for them later on, i'm off for dinner now tho..lol....try searching Maplins or Keeneelectronics websites for optical switchbox or toslink switchbox etc....i'm sure you'll find them :)

9. Vyncenze

Vyncenze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello.

Thanks for all the replies - they really help. I am now considering the Sony STRDA1200 instead so that I can put everything through it easily, but as someone says, i think I'll head down to a shop and get someone to show me them in action.

Thanks again.

Joe

10. Vyncenze

Vyncenze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ok, one more question then, if I can trouble you all:

If I were to go for the Sony STRDA1200, I could connect the Sky-HD and PS3 to it via HDMI, and the Wii, Xbox and DVD by Component, correct? I could then use the three optical inputs for the Xbox and DVD (leaving one spare as HDMI carries audio too from the first two sources, right?

Then I would only need to connect the TV to the amp by HDMI, and that will carry all the signals? Or would I still need to also connect by component and optical as well? Didfferent websites seem to give different info on whether this amp actually up-converts and carries all input signals via HDMI...

If all my sources go directly into the amp, I assume there is no good reason to connect the TV to the amp by optical as well?

Thanks again.

11. lemons

lemons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If only it were so simple! Thats why I said earlier looking at other amps just muddies things!

The STR-DA1200ES while being another excellent amp will not upconvert all inputs to HDMI. It can switch between two HDMI inputs, and will upconvert all analogue (composite / s-video / component) inputs to component. Also, although HDMI does carry audio, the STRDA1200ES will only send audio out over the HDMI output - it will not decode / amplify that part of the signal, so another (optical / coaxial) connection will be required. As for your last point - there is no good reason to connect the tv to the amp by optical - there may well not be, as long as you're sure you'll never just want to use your tv's speakers only, instead of a full surround and sub set!

If you really want one cable going to the telly which can handle PS3 and Sky-HD, you're looking at a £500++ receiver and a whole lot of other options!

12. Vyncenze

Vyncenze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Lemons, thanks again.

So if I'm reading you correctly, although the Sony will not simplify quite as much as I hoped, I could still use this amp to connect all my sources to the TV for video using a component and a HDMI cable?

When you say the amp will not amplify the audio over HDMI, do you mean only on output? I.e. if I connect a Sky-HD box to the amp by HDMI, will I still have to connect it by coax/optical as well? Or will that be sufficient to get the audio from the Sky-HD into the amp for processing, as it were?

13. lemons

lemons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes indeed, you could connect all your sources via one HDMI and one component cable from the receiver to your TV.

If you connect a Sky-HD box via HDMI you will also need to connect the optical audio - daft really but there it is. It's only a switch for the HDMI it can do nothing with the signal except send it out and marry it up with one of the audio inputs, all that does is simplify switching between sources, easier than changing source on your TV and receiver.

14. Vyncenze

Vyncenze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ok, understood.

According to this site:

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=5588#

the amp has 4 optical and 2 coax inputs. So, I could connect all 4 of )PS3, Xbox, DVD, Sky-HD) to it by optical/coax, and all 4 by component or HDMI? If this is the case, I think that's the option I'll go for.

Thanks loads for all your help - really appreciated.

15. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    If you're looking at an AV receiver that will upconvert from component and switch HDMI have a look at the Onkyo 674E or the Sony 3200ES. You will still need separate digital audio cables. The Sony has 3 HDMI inputs so might be a better bet.

Sony 3200ES

Onkyo 674E

There are obviously others e.g. Pioneer etc.

16. lemons

lemons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That site is wrong - it has four optical sockets - 3 in and 1 out, and two coax. Therefore unless your DVD has a coaxial output, you will still need an optical to coaxial converter (I think this is a better bet than the optical switcher recommended - no need to keep switching inputs on another device!), other than that - yes, it will connect all your gear!

You didn't mention if you've bought / buying / not buying a new DVD player, but if you do - get one with coax and you're sorted.

17. Vyncenze

Vyncenze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Lemons (again)!

I appreciate the suggestions for other amps, but I am already pushign my budget at £350 for the Sony, so I don't think I can stretch to £500 for full HDMI upconverting.

Lemons: Yes, I intend to buy a new DVD player, that's next on my list of things to look into. Any suggestions (budget maybe £100-£150 ideally...)?

18. Vyncenze

Vyncenze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Oh, and one other question while I think of it.

The gf is trying to get me to put off Sky-HD for a bit and stick with Sky+ until the price drops a bit on the HD box. Anyone know whether that has a component out or whether it's just SCART? and does it have a seperate audio out? Presumably if a device is scart only, there is some sort of adapter available to connect it to the amp (scart-comp)?

19. barijohn

barijohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    It's scart or S-Video.

There is a convertor but it's not mega cheap at £70, though what is when your looking at AV Gear!!

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...rgb-scart-to-component-convertor/display.html

This is what I use for my system.

HTH

20. Vyncenze

Vyncenze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers. Presumably S-Video is noticeably worse than Scart RGB?