A few general questions about the PS3 40GB edition.

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by djfonti, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djfonti

djfonti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi all. :)

My brother-in-law is in the market for a Blu Ray player and it looks as though he has decided on the 40GB PS3.

Before I advise him to go ahead with the purchase though, I have a few general and basic questions.

1) I have read the PS3 can attain firmware updates via the net. Do these updates cost anything?

2) How would one go about connecting the 40GB UK edition to the net? Can't see him going for the wireless option as he will only connect when he wants an update, so will move the PS3 to the source of the net. Does the 40GB have an ethernet input, and if not, how would he connect it to a modem? Could he do it via one of the USB ports?

3) As I've said it's unlikely he will have a full-time connection to the net, but say in the future he decided he wanted to. Can the PS3 really be used to browse the net as freely as one would on a PC?

4) One of listed specs of the 40GB edition is the 'matte' finish? What does that mean? Will it have a 'plasticky' aesthetic like the PS2, or is it the same glossy look that people expect from it? And does it have the chrome bit on the disc part, as per the 60GB, or is that 'matte' also?

5) I have read a couple of reports of people saying it's Blu Ray disc loading times are slow. Can anyone confirm this? From inserting the disc to playback beginning, how long would that take?

6) Following on from the above question, if one was to insert a Blu Ray disc would they have to instruct the system to play it via the menu, or can it be set up so that once it has been inserted it begins playback automatically ala a normal DVD player?

7) Finally, it's possible he may go for a second hand machine. How long is the manufacturer warranty?

I welcome your input and appreciate any help given, thank you....:)

2. DistortionNat

DistortionNat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51

1: No they are free

2: Ethernet - to enjoy the full benefit of a lot of games these days he needs it connected to the net for online gaming!!

3: I dont use the browser much, but it seems pretty good and you can use a USB keyboard and mouse, but I still prefer using my PC

4: No idea

5: Maybe according to certain enthusiasts is a bit slow, but I havent noticed it. Seems fine to me.

6: You can set the PS3 to autoplay all kinds of discs including Blu-Ray when they are inserted.

7: 1 year I think.

3. djfonti

djfonti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks alot DistortionNat, great reply. :thumbsup:

Just need an answer to question 4 about the look of the 40GB version, the V+box and the receiver and the sub all have a nice shiny look to it, would be nice if the PS3 has it as well.

Can anyone help?

4. DistortionNat

DistortionNat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yeah sorry I cant help you there, I have the 60gig version and its got a shiny glossy finish to it.

5. 6950rpm

6950rpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    PS3s look great.

There you go.

Honestly though, anyone who puts off getting a PS3 cause it might not have a matching finish to their Louis Vitton hand bag or what ever doesn't deserve to own one in the first place.

6. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    the 40gb is the same shiny look as the 60gb, the chrome bit that's on the 60gb though is more of a satin on the 40gb. I\ve had both and to be honest, the only difference is the satin doesn't pick up as many fingerprints.

As for disc loading times, the PS3 is generally faster than many of the other players on the market. The disc is generally loaded for me before I get sat back down on the settee after putting it in. :)
    hope this helps

7. djfonti

djfonti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Brilliant, thanks people, it ticks the boxes....shall recommend it to him. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.