A few from my trip to Japan

almightygoodgod

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Was in Japan for a fortnight over Easter, here is a selection of my photos. Been a but rubbish at taking them since my son was born (other than of him of course) so really wanted to make an effort on this trip!

1) Tokyo Tower Garden by almightygoodgod, on Flickr

2) Tokyo taxi by almightygoodgod, on Flickr

3) Akihabara by almightygoodgod, on Flickr

In the background of the shot below is the 'atomic bomb dome', one of the few structures to survive the blast in 1945.

4) Hiroshima by almightygoodgod, on Flickr

5) Hiroshima by almightygoodgod, on Flickr

6) Kyoto by almightygoodgod, on Flickr

7)Kyoto by almightygoodgod, on Flickr

This one below is a HDR shot, I was a bit worried as I couldn't keep the camera perfectly still without a tripod but Corel Paintshop Pro X8 did a great job with it.

8) Kyoto by almightygoodgod, on Flickr

9) Ishiyama crossing by almightygoodgod, on Flickr

10) Kyoto station by almightygoodgod, on Flickr

11) Kyoto station by almightygoodgod, on Flickr

The two below of Mount Fuji were taken on the train so it was really difficult to get a decent picture. I ended up taking a raw image and then creating various exposures from that to produce a HDR image. There was also a fair bit of dirt on the outside of the train window that I had to remove from the picture. My favourite is the second although I wish it had a little less noise.

12) Mount Fuji (from Shinkansen) by almightygoodgod, on Flickr

13) Mount Fuji (from Shinkansen) by almightygoodgod, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lovely set - numbering the shots helps comments/feedback targetting ;)

Would love to visit Japan, definitely on my list of destinations to visit. Had you been before, was two weeks enough.

Nice shot of what I assume is Mt Fuji.

Would love to visit Japan, definitely on my list of destinations to visit. Had you been before, was two weeks enough.

Nice shot of what I assume is Mt Fuji.

Thank you. We've lived in Asia for six years now and Japan has been on our list since we got here but only just got round to it for the first time. I get the impression it is best to come in spring or autumn as summer is too hot and winter too cold.

Two weeks allows you to see a lot although there is a lot more to see so could probably fill a month if you have the time and money. It was long enough for us as we had our toddler with us and backpacking got quite stressful at times with him in tow. I would heartily recommend the country though and we'll definitely go back.

Interesting set - any chance of posting number 4 in colour?

Interesting set - any chance of posting number 4 in colour?

Thank you very much. Here is shot 4 in colour.

Atomic Dome by almightygoodgod, on Flickr

Great pictures #1, #4 and #9 are my favourites - we're planning on going next year. I'll check what you said about temperatures now!

I would definitely recommend. We had a great time there, so much to see and do. If you are going to travel around you will want a Japan Rail pass, many , many times cheaper than buying all of the tickets separately.

I think I am going to get number 9 framed to put on the wall.

Photo 4 looks a lot better in colour in my opinion. The pink blossom and pinkish hue of the building works well together, the action/focus o the 3 birds is lovely. Pick of the bunch got me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom