A few from Folkestone today

alfienoakes

I got up for an early one today in the hope of a decent sunrise. I've finally found somewhere in Kent that's East facing and has an accessible rocky section. Unfortunately there was not the slightest bit of cloud, so the sunrise was rather unspectacular.

Anyway, this was my first attempt at long exposures using ND filters. I was armed with the D300 and the Sigma 10-20. I had a Grad and ND8. I'm fairly happy with these as a first go. I'm looking forward to trying some after dark shots next time.

A lot of inspiration from these forums in a few of these :smashin:

#1 Silky Sunrise

#2 Rocky Morning

#3 Arch Sunrise

#4 I dream my dreams away

Things I've learnt from this:
I should have dropped the ISO down from default 200.
Shooting at sunrise is probably not the best time for the long exposure shots. I should have got there earlier!
I need a sun compass as it rose far nearer the south than I expected!

hot-fuzz

Banned
Yeah, number 4. Read something somewhere about a picture leading you through a door then through another, leading the eye into the pic makes a good photo. and this one leads you through multiple doors. Really nice photo and one to print.

Overall though that is a really good set and a mornign well spent. :clap:

alfienoakes

Thanks for your positive comments everyone.

Good luck Biscuit. The weather's closed in here now, so make the most of it;)

allymac123

Yup love the last one aswell.

The first is nearly good but you've blown the sky. Where you not using your NDgrad for that one?

And no matter how good your camera is at higher ISO'd I'd always reccomend using the lowest possible ISO for landscapes (unless you need a faster shutter for any reason). I've found that colour graduations and luminecent noise are alot more apparent even at ISO 200. Zero gain is best!!

alfienoakes

Thanks for your comments and advice allymac.

I was using the ND Grad for the first shot. The sky was very bright as the sun was imminent on the horizon. But I must say I don't find it making a big difference, it's possibly not strong enough or I just haven't set it up properly (it was the first time I've used it).

I wish the D300 had some indication of what the ISO equivalent was under 200. Part of the reason I didn't go below was trying to decipher what the top LCD readout said. RTFM I guess:) I also wasn't confident on how ISO 100 equivalent would come out.

A lot learned here for next time :smashin:

dazza74

Distinguished Member
I think the ISO 100 equivalent on the D300 is "L1.0".

#1 I think you've done a good job on timing the exposure here, nice and subtle I like the dark colour of the pebbles in the foreground with a bit of photoshop processing I reckon you could paste in a sky from another pic.

#4 This is very good, so much potential for converting this to B&W, Duo Tones etc as well.

The thing I like most about all your pics in this thread is they seem to me spot on composition wise :thumbsup:

lightpainter

I got up for an early one today in the hope of a decent sunrise. I've finally found somewhere in Kent that's East facing and has an accessible rocky section. Unfortunately there was not the slightest bit of cloud, so the sunrise was rather unspectacular.

Ditto Alfie I was out at 7:30 in Kent today not a cloud in the sky completely ruined my shots.
Love No4 by the way!

StaffsBen

Standard Member
I like all of these I have to say. But personally, I think number 4 is a fantastic shot, and has so much potential for post processing too! Brilliant shots :thumbsup:

dazza74

Distinguished Member

Ditto Alfie I was out at 7:30 in Kent today not a cloud in the sky completely ruined my shots.
Love No4 by the way!

I think Devon might have stolen some of Kent's clouds today :

Clouds.jpg

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
I agree with ally that the exposure is a touch off on the first. The blown out sky ditracts from the rest of the image. It's not easy to get this right, the histogram is your friend here.

I like the second, but it would be nice if you could have captured the water coming into the shot a little more. The rocks in the foreground are also a little dark to be interesting.

The third is a tricky one. For me, if you have a heavily one sided compostion like this, you need to have something very interesting right in the foreground. Perhaps if you had a complete arch, or another strong shape it would work better.

As others have said - the last is the strongest. Very simple, but perfectly exposed and a nice simple composition.

Good on ya for getting out :smashin:

jonnypb

i really like 2 & 4 :thumbsup:

#1 is good apart from the blown sky, not sure how it would work/look but maybe try cropping the pic so that the sky isn't in it

alfienoakes

Thanks for the C&C Liquid. All take on board. The second image was an underexposed bracketed shot. I've since combined 3 images into an HDR and although it looks a little false it does bring out the rocks and more colour in the sky. I will post it up this evening.

The plan was to have a dramatic sky on the right hand side of the third. Next time maybe :)

I had no plans to take the 4th, but it seems rather popular which has surprised me a little.

Lots of lessons learned here for next time. ;)

alfienoakes

Here's the HDR'd version of #2. I had another go at it this evening, sorting out the white balance that the ND filter had thrown out. It's better but I still think it looks a bit false. As it's three exposures the water looks a bit odd in places too.

Holowlegs

Hi ya

Another :smashin: for #4 here, and as someone else has said may convert well to B&W.

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom