A few from a Wedding. First real test of the camera + lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by hot-fuzz, May 8, 2007.

1. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Hello all,

Went to my cousings wedding on Sunday and it was a fantastic day.
    Took my 400D and lenses along with me and took a few shots.
    This is my first real test with my camera and lenses and so stuck to some pretty standard shots. Mainly im pleased with the performace of the lenses seeing as they are on the budget side of some of the glass you can get.

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM:
    [​IMG]
    This is on another thread, adn im going to tone down the brides dress at some point as its slightly burnt out (ta for that Brammers :thumbsup:)

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO
    [​IMG]

Canon 50mm f1.8 Lens
    [​IMG]

Canon 50mm f1.8 Lens
    [​IMG]

Canon 50mm f1.8 Lens
    [​IMG]

Canon 50mm f1.8 Lens
    [​IMG]

Let me know what you think or would do as i havent cropped or adjusted any of them.

2. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    The second one for me is the best, the only thing is that maybe the full flower on the jacket on the right hand side. Just to give it a blance. IMO.

The first is also good, maybe you could have tried right in the middle of the isle that maybe would have been a little better.

They have all got a nice feel to them via good overall, I could see some of these being used for print and so on, all nice and sharp.

Well done.:smashin:

3. Brammers

Brammers
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Those are very good :)

1 I've dealt with.

2 Nice - you've held back the whties well. Would like to see either all the rose in the TR, or none at all - I guess all of it. Maybe give the red flowers a bit more punch? Great composition though.

3 Inside of a pint!? That's actually putting me off beer :p

4 Nice angle, good composition, lovely lighting with the soft shadows and highlights, and a beautifully defocused candle flame in the background. Maybe give it 0.5 stops more exposure for perfection?

5 Great idea! The central location of the hand makes it look a little bit like a product shoot, rather than a wedding shot - can you recrop to make it off-center? Excellent use of DoF.

6 My favourite - it's perfect. Great lighting, great colour to the light, lovely angle leading into the scene, good control over DoF and good sharpness where it's needed. Well done on the metallic highlights, they can get harsh if you let them. Not quite sure how you managed that pure black background, but it's very well done :)

A very good set - there's some improvements to be made but you're way beyond the basic missed focus/poor composition etc. Well done :)

4. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Ahoy!

You ought to be very pleased and proud with your results. They are teriffic! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

5. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    1. I can just about make out the bride and groom, and to be honest I'm not that interested in seeing the back of a chair instead. Straighten the horizon as well. I see what you're going for here, in which case go down the middle of the aisle for this sort of shot.

2. Nice idea, well executed but I'd crop differently and either lose the groom's flower entirely or show it all.

3. Does nothing for me, and could have been taken in any pub. It took me a while to work out what it was.

4. Good idea, but I'd have got in lower to show the name of the venue (if that's what it is on the card)

5. Nice shot, works well. Good timing.

6. Again, does nothing for me. Could have been anywhere and there's nothing to say where or what it was for.

One comment is that I don't see any faces here - weddings are about people and that's what I want to see. Incidental shots are good for albums though, so I see where you're going.

6. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217

You are a hard taskmaster!

7. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    It's not meant with any level of vitriol at all - without doubt the most useful thing when I started out was people being very honest. And it still is - believe me, I get far, far harder taskmasters at another forum!

8. jonnypb

jonnypb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    some very nice creative shots there :thumbsup:

i see what RH said about not being any faces there but I'm sure you got lots of them in other pics!

i think you've done a good job especially as it was your 1st real test

9. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Thanks for the compliments guys, and equally thanks for the criticism. I have come across alot of comments on other threads regarding others where the only comment is "Doesnt do it for me" which really should be followed by some help. I believe its called constructive criticism, and Brammers has done that.
    To answer a few quesries :

* There are no faces as im not sure how the bride and groom would feel about me posting their faces all over the net (there are LOADS of them all smiling happily)

* The last shot was indoor and because of the bright lights made the outside black, nothing out of the ordinary done, just snapped at an angle (luck i guess ??).

* The pint is guiness with a table decoration stuck to the bottom.

* If its faces you want, here is my Niece with my son (her cousin) at the wedding :D
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    [​IMG]

So not bad really considering i have had the 400D for about 3 weeks.

10. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Great collection of shots, love the first 2 :thumbsup:

If they give their permission for you to show the shots, then I look forward to seeing them if they're up to this standard.

11. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    What do you want though - I followed that comment by saying it could have been taken anywhere. There's nothing to show it's a wedding, there's no context or place. For me that's where it begins and ends. The table shot does just that and works as a result.

I see a love-heart on the glass, and I also see a Sigma lens and Canon lens cap. I see what you're going for but the composition looks a little lazy - so start to look around the viewfinder at what else is in shot. At the end of the day though, it's the end of a pint of beer and not overly appealing.

So, we have a choice - we either give an honest opinion or we sugar-coat everything. The latter helps no-one, and many people dont have the time to worry about causing offence with every line posted. Brammers has opened these flood-gates, so let the waters flow. Bottom line for me, if you don't want people to be honest, don't post a picture. I've posted pictures at pro wedding forums where I've been absolutely slaughtered, and it's made me better.

First lesson of being a photographer - grow a very thick skin.

Second lesson - what I, or anyone else thinks, it's of no consequence if the people you took the shots for like them. :)

By the way - I like that shot of your niece a lot. Very tender and gentle - great stuff.

12. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Sorry mate, that wasnt a direct dig at you. I was refering to posts on POTN where people have posted NOTHING but things like "ITS NOT GOOD" or "YOU COULD HAVE DONE BETTER". I took nothing negative from the way you said that, just maybe shouldnt have used what you said. Sorry.

13. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    :oops:

Ignore me, I'm tense this week.

:thumbsup:

14. SweetGirl

SweetGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hey Highlander

These wedding shots are really great.

My favorite has to be the wedding dress and RED ROSES (my favorite flower BTW :) )

You should be very proud of these and i am sure the bride and groom will be forever great full.

Well done.