1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few facts to ponder

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by GrahamMG, Nov 13, 2004.

1. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi all.
    I am just off to a meeting but when I get back I'll post a few interesting facts about what is happening at IAG, as I was getting a bit depressed with all the negative posts flying around I thought I'd do a bit of digging with some help from soem dealer type friends over several beers last night.......It explains a great deal so watch this space..... back later.....

2. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Graham

Look forward to it!!

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Right then.
    As far as I can tell Barry has got a new position within the IAG empire doing a "sales manager" role including brands Quad, Wharfedale and TAG which would explain why he hasn't answered e-mail as quickly as many might expect as he has been out on the road for weeks now pushing the products into the dealerships, I nearly got his new business card at the show tlast week but it would have given something else away that I ought not mention just yet (but will come as no surprise to many!)....Which is good news for us and good news for Barry as he deserved a break and worked hard for it. A chap called Phil now "man's" the helpdesk and is one of the IAG engineers so should know what he is talking about and be directly involved in the repair and service process (more good news!).

As for the troubled Portuguese chaps and the local importer, once again the story isn't all that it appears adn although some of the blame still lay's at IAG's door and quite a lot at the importers door some also lay's outside of IAG's control (try packing the goods well enough so the bill is only £200 not £950 in future maybe....... :nono: ). Like I said this is all open to further digging but as far as I know pretty accurate and I won't be entering into any "discussion" as to its accuracy or indeed debating the pro's and con's of any of the above butI think this level's things up a bit and I for one feel that what I was told when IAG took over TAG looks like it is still the plan and progress is being made behind the scenes.
    It don't excuse the sound quality of the demo at the What hi-fi show though but as many know they certainly were not alone on that one ;)

4. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    So you are still on their paylist! :) That also explains why you did not have to pay 12£ (are they nuts?) for WhatHiFi show!! ;)
    I am very happy about Barry, he was always huge help, and promotion is what he deserved for sure. Only, without him (and Mark too) at helpdesk, there is huge gap to fill. Let's hope Phil will continue where they were - his reaction to my last enquiry (one small spare part) was fast.

I was also happy enough to do my top loader repair directly with Barry during last two months. I must add (just to encourage people having problems at the moment) everything worked perfect as always did in the past.

Have an nice weekend, there are many other (nice) things in life apart from AV gear!

5. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Graham

Anything else to mention at this stage, like new products, product development, name change etc?

6. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It will be Audiolab, they will keep the FLR, AV32R, AV192R and most of the amps :D

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Yep announcement due around Christmas I believe? Like I said above, no surprise about the name, also we are promised some "cool" new stuff......

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192

9. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Graham

How cool ;)

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    No idea, their words not mine, I'm sure I'll find out eventually, you never know I might even get invited to have a look round the new premises and have a demo or two (subtle hint Barry!)....

11. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Will Barry be at the Scottish Hi-Fi show next week? Quad are due to be there so lets hope so!

12. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    If Quad are there I'd expect Barry to be not far behind, you could always just ask him :cool:

13. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Don't worry, I will :D

14. PhilipR

PhilipR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A brand name change was necessary as the licence to use the branding 'TAG McLaren Audio' will run out for IAG.

15. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Could it be a universal player?
    I also heard some rumours about a receiver.

16. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Nice to have some good news for a change.....try and keep this updated

17. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hopefully not :D

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    will they carry on supporting upgrades to Tag equipment after the initial year?

Do they have to bin off all the Tag stock in this first year (25 march 2005) as after that date they are no longer allowed to use that name or will existing stock in the warehouse be given a longer grace and just the name on paper letters etc stopped?

All effects my future plans :)

19. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ??? Nick , using old account again ???

By the way, what's your plan on processor? Still having SP? Upgrade to something else soon?

One friend of mine is pretty sure there will be a lot of DPs for little money pretty soon. As soon as HDMI hits the road. He might be right.

20. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Nic

Easy to change the TAG "badge" to an Audiolab one on the front I would imagine!

Plump

Cheap DPs that are from the factory? One of my thoughts and why I have not paid for the upgrade yet

21. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    From what Ive heard they will be keeping both the AV32R and AV192R and just rebadgeing using them as platforms for any future upgrades :)

22. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I'll offer to make the badges for a small fee......

Cheap DP's eh, I think someone is dreaming and being a bit mischievious, HDMI implimentation or not will have little impact on a AV32R/DP IMHO..... Lets get this clear, HDMI is a video carrier, HDMI 2 is an audio/video carrier (with no SACD carrying licence as yet and DVD-A isn't a growing market....), why do we want that on a AV32R? Just plug your HDMI source straight to the display, putting the AV32R in the way is pointless..... The best way to reduce the cost of making TAG gear is to get it done cheaper (China), IAG are good at that..... Which one sounds or is built better is a matter of pure conjecture thus far.

It makes more sense in a scaler equipped AV192R, granted, but........

If AV32R/DP's hit the market at a reduced cost I'll be first in the queue but I'm not holding my breath.

23. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    had to go back to old name as the new one seems to have die'd along with a PC :( But It is still me. :)

If they are just swapping Tag badges for Audio lab, I think that would be great. This means that they would carry on the upgrades but I want this confirmed before I spend any money on upgrades (except perhaps DAB in T32 but the BBC in it's wisdom thinks we don't exist, as do freeview, as do Ch 5....).

I am reluctant to spend any money on upgrades until things are clearer to me. Also I NEED to know what they will do with HDMI. At the moment we don't evem know if the DP PS upgrades are sufficient to allow the additional load on the AV32 with HDMI sockets, even if they could fit them into a AV32, which I remain dubuous about. 192 yes but 32? Not sure. We might all like it but :(

I am as happy with my 'old' AV32R as the day I bought it. I have keep all the software upto date as well as the software options. I still have a few reservations re the cost of hardware upgrades and the way servicing seems to be going so I have held off doin anything to it.

If HDMI doesn't appear, I think Tags days are numbered. I now have video system that is much better than my Tag DVD32R and I am 'working' on the audio side of this to catch up significantly. The different is substantial on the video now. The T32 and amps are great, and will stay for the moment, as is my AV32R at the moment but sometime soon I will make a decision on upgrade or ditch to the b system for the kids.

I simply want more info, if this doesn't come, I will likely take my wallet elsewhere re processor, if some reassurances do come from IAG that I will probably stick with them.

The ball is in their court IMHO, at the moment I am cutting them some time, primarily because I love the way the whole Tag system works seemlessly together from the one remote.

I love my stuff but I won't wait in the dark for ever.

24. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    oh re HDMI it is the audio interfaces I am interested in, 2 as per chipset. Not interested in video output as I use SDI and I am a CRT user.

But panel based people might want two ins and one out to get digital audio to the AV32R and video to the DLP, OTHERWISE IT WON'T WORK ON BOTH AUDIO AND VIDEO!

The beauty of HDMI is it does BOTH audio and video, anything less and peaople just won't bother with it.

25. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    OK I'll ask, what do you want to feed into the AV32R/DP-AV192R via HDMI V2 that you can't already get into the TAG another way with I'll wager just as good results?

Regarding video performance are you also dabbling with HTPC?

26. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Nic.
    I should also say that why don't you grab a DP and do a demo at home with it all TMREQ'd up, I think you might be happy with the result.....

27. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Graham

I know I like the DP, I have listened to several times at length. This is not the issue. I also like the Parasound, Meridian, Lexicon.....in fact I said just that on my initial post on the Tag web site all those years ogo.

Re HDMI 1.1 I would like this to be fed into Tag. I then will let the Tag do all the bass management / TMREQ processing. The Tag integrates and controls everything. At the moment I don't know how this can be achieved. This is what I want. Not because I think it better but because I want it.

I would also like IEE1394 as well but I think that is unlikely on the 32. Also an ability to decode the microsoft stuff as well would be excellent. Again these transmitted digitally so I can apply bass managemet / TMREQ all in my AV32R. But I suspect these are unlikely. Even SACD digital signal converted from DSD to PCM would be a price I am more than happy to live with. What I want is the AV32R to be able to control all these and apply it's mussle. This is the important bit, it is what Tag does the best. To do this you either transmit it digitally to the AV32R (which is the easiest for IAG to do) or you digitise the 5.1 input (which can also be excellent as anyone with the LEXICON can tell you).

What I don't want is excellent quality DDVA / SACD / other stuff that I feed the latest all singing / dancing dual processor only to find that bass management / TMREQ just can't be used because we have a dumb bypass that cannot do anything but bypass.

28. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Yep, I'll go along with that..... Mind you the TMA1 (if you can still get one) can interface with just about any bit of kit and control it just like it was a bit of TAG kit once it is all setup, its a ridiculous price mind but it makes integration seamless. The thing is that once we get a DSD stream into the AV (via HDMI is doubtful), that is only the start of the problem and of course every other sound format can go via the existing spdif......As for IEEE1394 well we did that one to death with Udo some years ago now.......
    All in all, I'd settle for the bypass being TMREQ etc aware for now so Steve, is that actually possible (I seem to remember it isn't)?

29. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Graham,

The thing is that one would also need to implement additional hardware to A/D all 5 channels. Next thing would be a connection to the sharcs and after these of course the D/A stage. It would be cool if there would be some upsampling too before this D/A conversion. I remember an idea from Steve to abuse the DTS 24/96 upsampler for this...... :).

So gonna cost some additional hardware and software, but it should be possible. The question is more if it's wise to put money and energy in a solution that isn't really a solution.

30. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Exactly......

I alos would wager that IAG are nobody's fools and won't do anything they can't make money at. I have no idea what an HDMI mod would cost on the AV32R/DP but I'll wager it will be a lot closer to a 4 figure number than people may think....... Over the many years of the TAG forum, many people have come up with some good ideas, some nice to haves, and some "I want just because", Udo and Co bent over backwards to accomodate these things (well most of them!) and look where it got them.....

I'd like the bypass to be TMREQ etc. aware as I could use that feature now, I could also use a DVI switcher right now, I could use an updated VSM to the later Pixelworks chipset now, I frankly have no use whatsoever for a HDMI input with any currently available kit as it neither improves the video or the sound from what we can already achieve. For sure it is a neat connector with great possibilities but unless something comes along to make use of this enhanced ability (oh and the small matter of buying the source equipment that can output it and availability of quality media), I'm quite happy to sit and wait. When there is a genunie use for an HDMI V1.1 (or V2 whatever) I'd expect IAG to offer it as an option (certianly on the 192R and I'd hope the DP) but unitil then I see no good reason for anyone to use it as a reason not to buy a DP or 192R. The way technology moves these days, expecting anything to be cutting edge for very long isn't going to happen.... Mind you the sensible people who bought a DP at the beginning (and remember it is just about 3 years now) have had that cutting edge unit for far longer than anyone would have thought and it still sounds the equal or better than a great many high end units that have come along since, the same goes for the 192R, sit back and enjoy.......

Marketing dictates all these fancy items are "must have's", people/dealers say these are "must have's", its a pity the sales figures verses people's demands never balance......