a few ex85 questions

whats the difference between the recording modes?
What is the timeslip function used for and how does it benefit people?

I connected my ex85 to an old aerial, just to see what signal is was putting throigh,on the ex85 the signal quality is displaying full (green colour) but the signal strenght is displaying less than half. Does the signal from the aerial affect the actual picture quality or the sound,or does it just mean it isnt a stable connection i.e. it will be flickering.

However when i tested the aerial signals on the th50px60, the signal quality was only about a third of the way, and the signal strenght was next to nothing.

How come the signals are different if im using the same aerial.The boxes are wired together with the RF cables aswell (supplied with the ex85).So i dont think theres no loss of connection.

I have the ex85 connected to the th50px60 through a belkin hdmi cable,and iv got an extra scart connection linking them both up, purely for the Q link connection, this is just a normal cheap scart.Would i get better picture and sound quality if i invested in a high quality cable. or would i be even better with a conponent.But if i use conponent then i will have no more component connections on my tv for future equipment.which is the best way to go.

Because i have 3 tuners (2 in the tv and recorder and the ntl box) i thought i would have them all on seperate av channels, but at the moment the tuner from the tv is positioned on av2 and the NTL and the one in the recorder seem to be together on av1.How can i seperate them so that i can have one on each av channel, my main aim is to record something of the ntl box whilst watching something else on either one of the 2 tuners.Is this possible with the equipement i have, or do i need to rewire some things.

When im copying a DVD onto the hdd on the ex85, can i turn the channel over and watch somethingelse, or does it record whatever is on the screen at that given time. When the copy has finished, can i watch it in widescreen because before when i tried it was displayed in 4:3, with the big black things at either side.

Thanks,

Gavtech

Administrator
whats the difference between the recording modes?
The differences determine the quality of the recordings and thus the amount of data that has to be stored. They are the expression of two issues of compromise that are pulling in opposite directions: The maximum quality and fidelity or recordings versus the amount of space it takes to store them.
There is an increasing amount of compression applied as one goes down through the recording modes.
XP is a very high quality mode that will be almost indistinguishable from broadcast, but would limit you to getting one hour onto a disk if you wished to archive it.
SP is considered an adequate and the best general compromise of quality and storage. It gives very decent quality and permits 2 hours per disk.
All the other modes sacrifice quality significantly for the sake of getting more onto a disk [ up to 8 hours ] but it gets virtually unwatchable quality a long time before you go that far.
FR mode [ flexible record] will prepare a recording to fit a disk exactly at the best possible quality. So if it is under 2 hours it will take advantage of all the space and not reduce quality uneccassarily, and if it is over 2 hours will reduce the quality just as much as is necessary.
What is the timeslip function used for and how does it benefit people?
It allows you to navigate to anywhere in a recording quickly by inputting a time point
I connected my ex85 to an old aerial, just to see what signal is was putting throigh,on the ex85 the signal quality is displaying full (green colour) but the signal strenght is displaying less than half. Does the signal from the aerial affect the actual picture quality or the sound,or does it just mean it isnt a stable connection i.e. it will be flickering.

However when i tested the aerial signals on the th50px60, the signal quality was only about a third of the way, and the signal strenght was next to nothing.

How come the signals are different if im using the same aerial.The boxes are wired together with the RF cables aswell (supplied with the ex85).So i dont think theres no loss of connection.
The only important thing with digital signal strength is that it always stays above the threshhold of readability. If that is achieved - the stength is otherwise irrelevant and makes no difference to the quality of the signal.

Different equipment will have tuners of different sensitivity and different measures of the signal strength which accounts for the different indications.
It is not important.
I have the ex85 connected to the th50px60 through a belkin hdmi cable,and iv got an extra scart connection linking them both up, purely for the Q link connection, this is just a normal cheap scart.Would i get better picture and sound quality if i invested in a high quality cable. or would i be even better with a conponent.But if i use conponent then i will have no more component connections on my tv for future equipment.which is the best way to go.
Qlink is just a data connection. There is no need for a quality connection. It would make absolutely no difference.
Because i have 3 tuners (2 in the tv and recorder and the ntl box) i thought i would have them all on seperate av channels, but at the moment the tuner from the tv is positioned on av2 and the NTL and the one in the recorder seem to be together on av1.How can i seperate them so that i can have one on each av channel, my main aim is to record something of the ntl box whilst watching something else on either one of the 2 tuners.Is this possible with the equipement i have, or do i need to rewire some things.
You dont need to separate them.
If you are recording the NTL box then you can use your normal TV tuner.[ I am assuming it is a freeview tuner? ]
If you record freeview from the internal tuner of the EX85 then you can use the feedthrough capability of the EX85 to watch NTL.
When im copying a DVD onto the hdd on the ex85, can i turn the channel over and watch somethingelse, or does it record whatever is on the screen at that given time. When the copy has finished, can i watch it in widescreen because before when i tried it was displayed in 4:3, with the big black things at either side.
Yes you can turn over whilst copying is proceeding - It will not upset anything.
To watch disk copies in widescreen you have to manaully change the aspect ratio of the TV - It will not do it automatically, because the flag that would do that is not transferred to the disk.

Jim - Do me a favour... Just sit down and watch and enjoy your TV huh? :D .. and enjoy xmas.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom