1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few basic questions about my new Tosh XS34

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by azzo, Apr 8, 2005.

1. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    These questions probably apply to the XS32 as well as I gather they are similar machines.

Having played with this for a week now, impressions are mixed.

1 - My main gripe is the noise. It sounds like a PC, so my first question is:
    Is there a service menu option to control this. (I have read the other threads
    about adding resistors etc, but I do not what to do any hardware mods with this machine)

I am connecting a telewest box to it via the Sat in scart in RGB, and connecting the DVR box to my TV.

2 - Is there anyway to get the machine to always default to SATMON when I turn off the machine?

3 - Is it possible to show the clock on the front panel instead of SATMON when in SATMON mode?

4 - Do I need a RedEye gadget to control my telewest box? The manual states codes for telewest and NTL.
    My cable box uses the IRDA system, so I am guesing not.

Thanks for reading
    Knd Regards
    Azzo

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    2 things make noise - the HDD and the cooling fan. You can set an option so the HDD stops if not used for a while... I don't think you can do anything about the fan.

I don't think there is any way to always have it come up in SATMON mode. It will come up in whatever mode it was in when you shut it off. I always put mine in SATMON mode before I shut it off, so when the kids turn on TV they don't have to touch the XS32.

I also don't know of a way of showing the clock when SATMON is on.

Mark

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Red_sox mark thanks for the reply.
    Just as I thought.
    Just a little rant and rave, but surely if you are using a cable/sat/freeview box like 99.99 percent of people these days, then not having it in SATMON mode when off is POINTLESS.
    So every time I switch it off I have to remember to press SATMON first. Using a cable/sat box also makes having the time on display useless. Didn't the designers even think of this.
    Anyway, it doesn't make any difference to the noise when the HD shuts down as the cooling fan is so noisy. It is noisier than my Z3 projector for gods sake.
    Rant over.
    Apart from these issues and the general speed of the machine, picture and sound wise the machine is great.
    Azzo

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I agree, it would be better if it always was in pass-through mode ("SATMON") when it is off. I believe other machines (e.g. the Panasonics) work this way.

Mark

5. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OK I have had enough. I have had a rethink on how to connect this and it works much better for me, although it does mean I lose RGB in from cable :-(
    I am now connecting AV1 => cable box => TV, which leaves AV2 free to connect a freeview box which I will use to do most of the recordings in RGB. I only watch SKY One and E4 on cable anyway. That way I get to see the clock when it is off. (Which I use to tell the time in the morning)
    Azzo

6. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Time to buy a standalone clock, methinks...rather than sacrifice your ideal AV setup!!

7. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    tobyjuggler the real problem is remembering to press SATMON at switch off time (and I don't leave this machine on all the time because of the fan noise).
    If I forget, then it is another remote to find in the morning.
    I do not watch any movies on this system, I have another one for that so I am only sacrificing quality on the cable only chanels (where I watch 3 hours worth a week)
    Besides, clocks can tick adding to the noise!
    Azzo