1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few anxious moments...

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by liteswap, Jul 20, 2005.

1. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ...updating the software on my AVR300 this morning. I wanted to upgrade from 2.90 to 3.25 because of the few annoying bugs I'd spotted.

Having upgraded the amp to 2.90 previously, I wasn't worried. All went fine until, right at the end of the progress bar, I got a failure message. Switch amp off, restart -- nothing on the display, no activity and no 'on' indicator, apart from some relay clicks from inside the box.

Panic! Thoughts of expensive trips to the dealer plus doing without the amp for a month while it got fixed. Calm, calm, calm. Tried pressing the programmming buttons, RDS & UP. Held in for a few seconds, the PROGRAM... display came up. The amp was waiting final instructions, even after a switch-off. I tried reprogramming using both 3.25 and the 2.90 update files but it didn't work.

I backtracked to the older 1.4 version of the AVR Programmer and tried again. Suddenly, it just worked. So my advice? Update your AVR300 software but use version 1.4 of the updating program.

2. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    With the readme.... if your sw is old i forget which version b4... u have to do DSP to 1.12 first then update fw.

3. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nope, the DSP didn't need updating: I did that with the upgrade to 2.90 and the DSP version hasn't changed since.

Trust me, I was there. The only thing that changed and made it work was switching the older programming software.

4. Playitloud

Playitloud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Liteswap,

I noticed you backtracked to Arcam programmer 1.4, but what version were you using when you had the problems?

The reason I ask is that I have used version 1.5 with no problems.

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I have also used version 1.5 with very few issues.

6. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The problem I had was with 1.5: it just didn't quite finish the upload. If you guys haven't had any problems, I guess it might be a local problem of some sort. I didn't try re-installing it though -- maybe that would have worked...

The good news is that the amp just waited for the finalisation of the upload, even across switch-offs.

7. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thats very strange, I wonder what went wrong :confused:

8. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Goodness knows -- I've been a technically literate user of PCs ever since they were invented and I know serial ports have always been tricky things to write programs for. Maybe mine's just a bit non-standard: it happens. More likely in my view is that the installation of version 1.5 of the AVR programmer didn't complete properly for some reason.