A DVD that EVRYONE must see!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Dec 3, 2000.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    I bought this partiular DVD a while ago, but it affected me so much, that I just had to post about it. The title in question is Sheldon Ronan's "The Killing Of America" available on R2 DVD only. This is a truly shocking expose on just how vile, brutal and totally wrong the law of legal gun-ownership is, in the USA.

Whilst the title is old, 1979 I think, I can't recommend this title enough! It is NOT a FILM! Neither is it something that you can say "I enjoyed that"! However, it is certainly a wake-up call for anyone who thinks that owning a gun for home protection and/or personal safety, is okay. Trust me, you won't know just how wrong you are, until you've seen this documentary!

See this immediately, and it'll open your eyes like never before!

Pooch.

P.S. Oh, yeah, I forget to say: Don't watch this if you are in the slightest bit squeamish, or easily offended! Some of the material will really unsettle you - even those of you who collect or view "banned" or "video nasty" material. This documentary is completely true! Chapter 8 is the one that is the most affecting, and effective, for me! You'll never be more moved, when you see this particular sequence in Vietnam!

2. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm, you caught my interest with this one matey! Recommend a good supplier???

3. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scrub that - found it in Virgin this afternoon - will let you know what I think when I've watched it. [​IMG]

------------------
    "What the fudge - if ya cant say it, ya can't do it..."

4. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What about R1 BANNED IN AMERICA show you uncut footage of people getting killed. The most shocking was a lady getting hit by a high speed train (like Final Destination) and a man being burnt alive.

------------------
    It Doesn't Matter!

5. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch - just watched TKOA, not bad - quite enlightening footage of the serial killers, but have to say that for shock value I've seen better. Have you seen 'Executions'? The last 10 mins of that will really make you sit up and watch!

Also, I know its a 20 yr old documentary but the picture quality was awful.

Its not the sort of thing I'd watch twice so I think its back to Virgin tomorrow for swapsies!

6. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, "Killing of America" is a classic.
    Still banned in the States, I believe? Though I could be wrong....

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Jay2000 wrote: "Just watched The Killing Of America, not bad - quite enlightening footage of the serial killers, but have to say that for shock value I've seen better."

I watched this film, and it wasn't for "shock value", but for a serious and critically-acclaimed documentary on why personal ownership of guns is insane. If you want shock value, get the nauseating (and almost totally fake and inept) "Faces Of Death" on Region 1.

As for "Executions", haven't seen it. Did anyone realise that the UK DVD version was slightly cut, in comparison with the UK home video version? I know the movie is contentious, to say the least, but surely this is double-standards by even the BBFC's standards?! Very odd!

As for the picture quality on "The Killing Of America", this film isn't legally available in the US, and the film is twenty years old, plus much of the fotage was recorded by US TV broadcasters and/or regular people on the street, and NOT high-end camera crews with stunning VCR equipment. The picture quality isn't the best, but neither is it as bad as you make it sound. Bear in mind the recent 3-hour version of Dune, made in 1984, looks a lot worse on DVD, than this movie does!

Maybe we'll just have to disagree on this one?! No hard feelings, though. :)

Pooch

8. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shock value?
    How 'bout death scenes 1 and 2?
    "Killing of america", though, shouldn't be thought of in the same league, as it towers way above such schlock ****e.
    I thought the picture quality was damn good compared to the old VHS bootlegs we had to put with for this sort of thing.

9. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch - you're making it sound like I said I hated TKOA! I thought it was fascinating actually, I only took it back and swapped it for something else because its one of those things that I simply wouldnt watch again.

As for 'Executions' - I havent seen the DVD release but I can imagine the bit thats been cut - I saw it on video years ago and its certainly not for the faint-hearted.

Jay

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Jay2000 wrote: "Pooch - you're making it sound like I said I hated TKOA!"

Jay, that wasn't my intention, and having re-read my post, I apologise if that is how it came across.

Jay also wrote: "As for 'Executions' - I havent seen the DVD release but I can imagine the bit thats been cut - I saw it on video years ago and its certainly not for the faint-hearted." Without going into explicit detail, what is likely to have been cut?

Pooch

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Desade wrote: "Shock value? How 'bout death scenes 1 and 2?"

Do you mean in the first two scenes in "Killing Of America"? If so, then they are fairly shocking, but nowhere near as shocking and unexpected as the shooting of the Vietnamese boy in Chapter 8, with a bullet to his head! I wasn't expecting that at all, and it made me really sit up and take notice. Also, with the soundtrack on that chapter, (an old anti-protest song from the 1970's, whose name I can't recall at the moment), made it all the more poignant and dramatic for me!

Pooch

12. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was not being critical of Killing of America. It had many 'shock' scenes, I was merely attempting to satire of some of the previous replies.