A DVD that can play CD-R (amongst others)?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NigelL, Feb 22, 2001.

1. NigelL

NigelL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a Panasonic DVD-RV60 player, and found that it can't play, amongst others, CD-RW, DVD-R, and CD-RW (which it says it might damage) discs. Is there an all-round DVD player which can play the above discs as well as straight DVD and audio CD? The reason I am asking is that I am sure that in the future my audio collection will include more and more CD-R and RW discs, and with the new DVD burners, those too.
    Thanks - Nigel

2. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sometimes it is worth experimenting, some CDRs play and others don't, so look for diferent types of dye being used.

You might be really unlucky and nothing works. As for DVD recording at the moment the blanks cost more than films, and even if the proces dropped I think you would find extreme problems with duplicating an entire disc, but you would probably be able to get the film off.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try this site out: http://www.vcdhelp.com/

Go to there compatability list to check out which players can do what.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,027
    That's an excellent link. Thanks Floyd. Gotta go - to try and make an XVCD!

5. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The mainstream brands that always deliver CDR playback capabilitys are Philips(marantz) and of course Pioneer. I am not sure about Hitachi and Denon. But I am sure that Sony,Toshiba and it seems the Panasonic don't have this feature.
    But the more expensive models mostly have this capabiliy.
    For example the Sony 7700.

If you want to buy a replacenment for the panny 60. I suggest you check out the pioneer 636.
    i always like Pioneer better than Phillips