1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A dvd-rec that will burn chapters and thumbnails?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davidb71, Sep 5, 2005.

1. davidb71

davidb71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My sony rdrhx510 is a lovely machine. It does all that i ask in amazing quality. However, what is the point in being able to set thumbnails and chapter marks only to lose it all when burned to dvd? I have many schools progs on many vhs tapes. I know I could record each prog as a separate title but that's time consuming. Does anyone know of a machine that will burn a dvd with all the authoring in place? Thumbnail chaptering would be nice like on commercial tv box set dvds. :eek: (Not bothered about decoders or freeview, etc. Have sky+ and chose sony for the pic quality and RGBscart)
    I realise there are some cross threads on this issue but I'm trying to focus on this issue. Cheers.
    David

2. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    My Pioneer 5100 will author DVD-Rs with a choice of menus and all the chapter thumbnails included, from the hard disc edited playlist, and you can then copy as many discs as you like for other people. I would guess the newer Pioneers do the same. It's a shame that the new Sony's can't seem to do this.

3. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    In Panasonic machines, chapters you create are retained if you high speed dub to dvd-r, but they are lost and replaced by automatic chapters if you dub at normal speed (i.e. re-encode). Perhaps Sonys are the same. Chapters don't appear in the finalised dvd's menu, so you have to split into separate titles to get separate thumbnails in the menu.

Toshiba recorders have lots of options compared with other makes.

4. PeteTh

PeteTh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. davidb71

davidb71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am amazed at the enginuity of the work around but with no certainties it all sounds too much hassle long term. Would rather sell my sony on Ebay and buy a pioneer. Just will have to try and remember why i was turned away from the pioneer in favour of the sony. Maybe it was a lack of rgb.

6. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The Tosh RDXS34 also retains chapter breaks, and thumbnails chosen for titles and for chapters when programmes are copied from HD onto DVD-R/RW, including when the DVDs are then finalised. You can copy titles, chapters and/or playlists onto as many DVDs as you like. There's also the handy "Chapter Divide" button to create a chapter break while recording, and it has full RGB in/out/through.

Please be aware that it won't keep chapter breaks or thumbnail settings if you choose to convert the bitrate to copy from HD to DVD, or if the original HD recording had "DVD compatible mode" set to off. Also, I'm not sure about the all-in-one "DVD Create" function - I always "dub" recordings (high-speed) onto DVD and then "finalise" the disk. Also, if you wanted to archive more than about 2hrs 20 min on each DVD, the Tosh does drop to below full resolution recording, if that's relevant/important to you?

7. admay

admay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have not used one so probably am not qualified to comment but looking at the manual for the DMR-ES60 it seems to suggest that chapters are maintained when dubbing but not when doing rate conversion. I thought they all did this. It's the rate conversion that is the problem.

Andrew

8. davidb71

davidb71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks folks. I reckon my next buy is definately going to be a pioneer. I'm just splitting up my school vids into 3 or 4 titles per dvd. Not what I wanted but still the quality and ease of use is cool. Just wish they came with a keyboard so you could input title names faster than the txt style on the handset.
    David.

9. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    From the editing perspective, the Toshibas are generally considered to be the best on the market.

10. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Keyboard input would be good, the Sony multi-cd players had keyboard input - you needed that considering it held 400 cd's.

The new Sony CD/DVD player holds 400cds.
    That would be a lot of mp3's.

If you can store 1000 mp3's on a dvd then it can hold 400000 mp3 songs.
    Considering the average cd holds 10 tracks, that's enough for 40000 cds.

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/5661

The new Memory Master Hitchi DVD recorders might do all you want.