A DVD Camcorder Reccomendation Please

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by ash, Mar 25, 2006.

1. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    I am looking to get a DVD Camcorder :clap:
    My budget is around £400, hopefully less, but I have no idea what to go for.
    Must be widescreen, and preferably 5.1, will you need a mic for this. And won't really do editing, if I do I can easily edit MPG2 to cut out parts I don't want or use a DVD Recorder.

2. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
  3. jomike

jomike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Argos is selling the Sony DVD202 for £399.00. No 5.1 sound, but in this price range I doubt if you're going to get that.

4. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Oh thanks, so should I got for mini DV? I'm not sure how that works, you buy a miniDV tape and record on that?

5. jomike

jomike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    MiniDV can't do 5.1 sound either AFAIK. The only cams that I know definitely do 5.1 are the Sony DVD 403/803/405/505, but these start at around £600. Some other DVD cam makes might be able to do 5.1 as well. You will get more features for your money in miniDV if 5.1 sound is not a necessity.

Edit : The Sony DVD202 can do 5.1 sound if you attach the Sony ECM-HQP mic. This is the only one that will fit and at a guess won't be cheap.

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    As was mentioned on another thread, you need to think about why you want 5.1 recording.

Yes, 5.1 if mixed correctly (e.g. on a commerical DVD) is great. But do you really want a microphone which is trying to record in 5.1? If you are filming your kids school play, do you want the sound coming from just the stage (which you could get with a directional, mono mic), or do you want to hear the guy behind you coughing? If filming the kids in the house, do you want to hear them or your wife in the kitchen behind you?

The only time recording 5.1 would be possibly useful would be if you were in a situation where it was important to recreate the sounds all around you (maybe if you were in the jungle, surrounded by animal noises). But even then I think the quality of these 5.1 mics is questionable.

To create a good 5.1 DVD you really need multiple mics or input sources, which you can then edit in a video editing package. You'll also need to have a 5.1 soundcard on your PC and 5.1 speakers attached to it so you can hear what you are mixing.

DVD vs mini-DV is another debate, see recent threads on that.

Mark

7. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Okay, then I don't want 5.1, any reccomendations?

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I'm a Sony owner, so biased there:

For DVD, the DCR-DVD205E is in your price range (I think this replaced the 202). £381 here

https://secure.121electricals.com/detail.asp/sku=DCRDVD205E

If you are doing limited editing and have the software for editing mpeg, that is probably a good way to go.

MiniDV is generally better for editing, but you will need editing software for PC based editing. For use with a DVD recorder though MiniDV works equally well, especially if you have a decen recorder with DV input. You can then shoot in DV (which is generally higher quality) and create your DVDs with the recorder.

In the MiniDV range, the lowest priced model with widescreen is DCR-HC44, £327 here:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/184206/art/sony/dcr-hcee-minidv-camcorder.html?srcid=3

Mark