1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A dumb question?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PoochJD, May 16, 2003.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

This is probably going to sound like a really dumb question, to some of you, but I would appreciate some help please.

I'm interested in getting the Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD Recorder. Now, I know that this machine doesn't have an internal hard drive - at least, as far as I know.

As such, and this is the "dumb question" part, if I video a film, (on the DVD-Ram disc) whilst at work, using the timer, and then want to transfer that film (onto a DVD-R disc), but edit out all the adverts and other such junk, to make the film play continuously, how on earth do I do this?

The reason I ask is that if I can't edit films or other stuff I record onto a blank DVD-R, short of sitting at the machine and TV and watching the entire film as it plays live, then this machine isn't goign to be the one I want, and I will have to get the Panasonic HSR2 (at about £850) with the internal hard drive.

If anyone can answer my query, I would be very much appreciative! Hope what I've written above, makes sense. :)

Thanks, in advance,

Pooch
    (DVD Talk thread moderator)

2. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Correct, If you had a E50 and you edit your material on DVD-RAM you will need antoher Panasonic DVD Player that supports DVD-RAM playback i.e. Panasonic S35 DVD Player so that you you can playback your edited DVD-RAM on the DVD Player and recored onto DVD-R on the E50.

If you had a HS2 (Which can be bought for £599 if you shop around) you could set the timer to record your programme onto the Hard Drive and then edit it and transfer to DVD-R or the long way record on to DVD-RAM transfer to the Hard Drive edit the programme and then record back to DVD-R.

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Thanks, Yonder, for your confirmation of what I feared. Looks like it's going to be the Panasonic DMRHS2 for me, then. I want to be able to record a show or film to somewhere, via timer, and then edit that same show/film before transferring it to DVD-R.

Okay: onto my second of two dumb questions:

Which is the best, brand-named, DVD-R media, available in shops within the UK, please? Don't want to pay extortionate prices, but do want reliability and easy purchasability as well. (The internet is out, as I don't own a Credit or debit card.)

Any recommendations of ones to use, or even ones to avoid?

Thanks.

Pooch
    (DVD Talk forum moderator)

4. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think you will struggle trying to buy reasonably priced media from the high street. Since you cannot use the internet, I think your only practical option would be computer fairs. Or get a friend to buy you a bulk order of the net and just give him the cash.

Not only is it hard to actually find dvd-r on the highstreet, but it is usually £3/£4 or even £5 a disk, compared to an average of £1 (or cheaper) on the net or at computer fairs!

As for brands, the expensive but excellent ones are maxwell, tdk, panasonic and verbatim (actually been reduced massively on the net recently).

Then most practical and reliable for a modest budget (around a £1) are any ritek dye such as traxdata or ritek one (i found these the best, but some people on here had problems with them in the same machine so..???), samsung be-alls (the most popular dvd-r amongst panny owners in the states) or fws.

Lastly as a budget media (@70p) datawrite yellows are e3xcellent if you can get them anywhere.

All these brands are known to be fine with the panasonic range of recorders. I myself can vouch for most of them with my e30 and got perfect results from them. I have only recommended brands and lines which I know will work and which people swear by. It may also be worth trying the new x4 media such as bulkpaq tango/orange or datawrite red. These disks are under £1 and are meant to be excellent. But since I have not used them myself I can't say for sure they will be ok (although from what I have heard they are, as they dont suffer from the same batch inconsistities that the x1/x2 media do).

I was advised to avoid bulkpaq, Gogo and monarch. These are very cheap disks, and some people find no problems with them. However, they suffer from batch inconsistities and some batches are fine others produce nothing but coasters. Not really worth the risk to save a few pennies on each disk.

Hope this helps.

P.s even when a disk has recorded perfectly, different brands of dvd-r will differ in its compatible with every individual dvd player you try it in. So it is worth experimenting to see which suits your needs. All the disks I reccomended however are known for their good compatibility. Really it will only be an issue if you find you have an older player which isn't meant to support dvd-r in the first place. In this case you might have to try a few brands to find one that works.

5. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just going back to poochdj's original question, could i use the panny e50 or s35 to sort out the adverts for music video's and make my own compilations from things already recorded on sky+(ram based syst).
    Hoping that the two systems con be linked together?
    Cheers

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    DVD-RAM to DVD-R conversion is a key issue for all E20/30/50 owners. There are several ways to do it.

1) Purchase either the Panasonic HS2 (around £600) or the Toshiba RX3 (around £550). These are both DVD-RAM/HDD combos and allowing dubbing to and from DVD-RAM disks and the HDD and from the HDD to DVD-R. They are extremely versatile machines and worth every penny IMHO. However for people who already own a E20/30/50 they may not want to buy another machine.

2) The second option then is to buy a RAM capable player which at the moment is basically either the Panasonic S35 or S75. This allows you to play a RAM disk on your S35/75 and record it's output on DVD-R on the E20/30/50. This effectively gives similar results to the DVDR/HDD combo although there is obviously a slight drop in quality due to digital-analogue-digital conversion. I understand the same sort of thing can be done on a Tivo - by copying from DVD-RAM to the TIVO and back to the E20/30/50 recording on DVD-R. This will involve a slightly greater loss of quality as it is going from digital-analogue-digital-analogue-digital (!). Some people do this though and find the results quite acceptable though.

3) The third option is to buy a PC DVD burner (such as the DVD Multi drives from Panasonic or LG). This enables you to copy the files to your PC's HDD and author (i.e. add menus, chapters) before burning to DVD-R. This is by far the best solution but takes alot of time, patience, a willingness to experiment and many hours searching forums for answers! Ultimately though a DVD-R authored this way will look very professional.

The alternative to all this is to build a library of DVD-RAM disks which is feasible now as disks can be brought very cheap (£2 each in some cases). Copies for friends can be made to VHS tapes.

7. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well said Rasczak. :smashin:

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Thanks again, to Yonder, for the advice regarding DVD-R. The bulk order thing, was something I had considered, but obviously I'd need to find someone who has a credit/debit card, to do the order for me.

Anyway, the advice was much appreciated. I guess I'd better now start trying to save my pennies, for that lovely HS2. :clap:

Pooch

9. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    How are you going to get an HS2 for a realistic price without usung a credit card over the net? Cheapest is about £600 for multiregion at present, however go to a high street shop, and it is unlikely they will stock it. They will probably get it for you as fixed region 2, list price approx £1k!!, as quoted even in recent reviews.

10. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You could buy from an online retailer who accepts cheques, or even buy one of ebay and pay with a cheque.

11. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    PoochJD. You don't need a credit card to buy cheap DVD media..SVP allow you to pay by cheque. Just place your order on the internet and select payment option to pay by cheque. Then post your cheque to them along with a copy of your internet orderNo need to give any details other than your address of course. They are a very reliable with delivery within the week or less.
    If you have a cheque gaurantee card number just write that on the back of the cheque to ensure quick delivery.

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/