1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a double pointed thread

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by paulc1, Feb 28, 2005.

1. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    firstly, the successor to the 300d, check it here http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos350d/

next thing, I was reading in a mag, that because not many people print their photo's these days, we will come to a time in the distant future, were there will be no photographs around to archive, since all of the worlds photo's will be stored on hard disks,..so there will be no more great finds in peoples attics etc, it sounds to far fetched to be true, but is it?

2. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Naaaaaa.... there will be lofts full of dusty CD's and DVD's with pics on em.. :thumbsup:

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It would be sad if it was, nothing can compare to seeing a printed photograph. As long as pros keeping shooting it will never die. It's such a great art form in the right hands

4. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    how long will photo's printed on an inkjet last?..I have a drive specially for dropping photo's onto, but if I dropped them onto my general hard drive, then I would be loathe to pass it on to anyone else for whatever reason, possibly due to all of my banking and personal details etc etc being on it as well,..but my old photo albums are numerous, and there for all to see, even when I'm long gone.

5. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I agree - indeed I saw a shop near where I work that'll print from digital onto canvas... what better way of displaying your photos in your own home...?

Edit: I'm agreeing with seany here - paulc1 pipped me to the post...

6. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    i was considering the longevity of dvd-r for backup purposes, aparently its reconned they will start to degenerate after around 5 years

as seany says, having an image on a computer just isnt the same as having a physical picture in your hand

7. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The longevity of DVD/CD may not be an issue, because there probably won't be any drives capable of reading them in the future. How many people still have Betamat video players or 8 track tape decks?

8. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I certainly think it will decline. One of the best aspects of having a digital photo collection is being able to take as many shots aw you want, play about with it to your hearts content and only print the ones you think are really special.
    Lots of storage companies are banking on the fact that people will go to great lengths and expence to back up a digital photo collection.