A DIY Idea using my Old Car Sub - RE SE12

Discussion in 'DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building' started by Bellur, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Bellur

Bellur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey folks,

Im pretty new to the home audio scene. I used to be pretty into my car audio and in an old car had a modest sound system which I always enjoyed fettling with. Now I am a bit older I have taken a keen interest in my home av set up.

I have so far purchased and Onkyo TX-NR515 amp and a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf speakers. Just with this I am very happy with the improvement over the standard TV speakers! Naturally I cant wait to add the remaining components for a 5.1 set up. My set up will be used as much for tv/movies as it will for music.

Admittedly during my car days, I did enjoy my bass! I am looking forward to having some bass in my home set up, something I have never experienced before. I was looking online and particularly at the BK 200 series subwoofer. Then I got to thinking about if it would be possible to use my Resonant Engineering 12" as a driver for a DIY sub build. The driver is dual 4ohm and rated to 600W RMS. In my car I had it in a 1.8 cu ft slot ported box tuned to 28Hz. This would prob be a bit too large for my room. I don't mind going sealed to save space and to achieve a bit more control in the home audio environment.

Basically I am asking for a bit of direction as to whether or not this idea is feasible and also any ideas on box specifications, amp options etc or am I better sticking with the BK200 series idea?

Sorry for the noob intro post, but I am sure I will learn as I go along and I look forward to the ideas and hopefully getting some much needed bass into my set up!

Thanks!

2. Jameskatie

Jameskatie
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,102
  3. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    if you can afford james sub its a bargain to be honest, and the amp has pleanty of power if you wanted to get a different driver later.

4. Bellur

Bellur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers guys! Probably a bit more than I'm hoping to spend to be honest but crackin looking enclosure James! Hats off!

5. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    Hi again.
    Do not have the driver specs and maybe we can model it and see how it does and what kind of power it needs.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  6. Bellur

Bellur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  7. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    those specs are odd it states its a dual 4ohm but yet the specs say it has 1.3ohm voice coils, seems more like dual 2 ohm coils.

8. Jameskatie

Jameskatie
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,102
    I believe they were available in dual 2 and 4 and even dual 1 so the specs might be for the wrong one. wont be far off will they?

9. Bellur

Bellur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeh they were available in D4 and D2 I believe. I will try and find some info for the D4.

Having read through some of the threads here, I think I will get Gordy to make me an encolsure, his works seems great (wayyy better than my efforts anyways!)

So to give information to him, Im guessing he needs the basic shape Im after and what the internal volume needs to be minus the speaker?
    I think I could have a go at trimming myself!

Just to figure out an amp as well, again from reading this seems subjective to the enclosure, are there any recommendations. When I had the sub in the car in the ported enclosure it was seeing 1K rms at 2ohm, seemed to perform nicely. Apologies for my zero clue on the home audio front.

Thanks!

10. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    right managed to find some specs and they look ok and model ok,
    from the specs it needs a 50l box min but I would go for about a 55/60l with that it would need about 165/180w rms, to hit xmax at 10hz, it will hit about 98.2db at 20hz so not a bad sub( then you can add room gain on that which could be upto 12db(more like 6db vow) so in room at something like 105db at 20hz.

gordy needs as much in fo as you can give him, what is the size you thinking,
    amps wise its better to over spec then under spec, have you got a price in mind for the amp,
    do you want the amp built in the box or just a pa amp.

you could get a bk plate amp rated at 200w rms at 8ohm for about £150 and I believe for not much more if you contact the bk they do the bk 400 amp for not much more.
    or you could go for the like of a behringer nu3000.

11. Bellur

Bellur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah cool, thanks for the help Scott!

Does that mean that I can optimaly power the sub with 180w rms in that enclosure? So I dont really need to be aiming at the rated 600w rms?

Ideally I'd like to be spending around £150-200 on the amp, lower the better really. I have seen the behringer nu1000 that does 500 into 2ohms, or 2x300w at 4ohms. Is it best to show the 2ohm load or have each coil powered at 2x300 at 4 ohm? I dont really mind if the amp is in or separate from the enclosure. I guess out keeps things a bit more simple.

Thanks again!

12. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    It's will only need that power it won't need 600w rms.

The nu1000 in my op is not up to it I had one.
    You can run the sub in 8ohms as it will be less stress on the amp.
    If you want an amp that will fit in the box the look at the bk plate amps.
    I would give bk a ring and ask what price they can do the amp that's in the bk 400 for and go for that as long as it's got 200w Rms or more it's all good.

Or look for a pa amp that can give you as much power in 8ohms mode as possible.

Here's the bk amp's

http://www.bkelec.com/Modules/Sub_Bass.htm

But wilmslow audio do some cheaper.
    And bk don't show the 400 amp plate which I think is about 200.

http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/sub-woofer-kits-11-c.asp

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  13. Bellur

Bellur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info, I have emailed BK and asked for the price on the 400 plate amp, I reckon this is the avenue I will go down and have gordy accomodate for this in the enclosure. Starting to come together.

After some calcs I think 55-60l will be easy enough to achieve with my space constraints.

Just finally before I settle on an idea, is there benefit to trying to go ported? What would the size difference of the enclosure need to be and the power of the amp, and would I lose any sq properties? I am happy to go sealed and believe the sub will be plenty loud for my needs but just want to exhaust all avenues.

Cheers again.

14. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Just stick with sealed and you'll be fine........ported needs to be a 3 times larger enclosure and more in some cases.

15. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    Posted will need to be bigger and will need a hpf to stop it bottoming out I can model it if you like .

16. Bellur

Bellur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah, it could be more trouble than it's worth then, if it isn't too much hassle Scott I'd be interested to see the difference. Would the 515 receiver typically have a HPF built in or would I need to have this on the amp powering the sub which I guess adds a bit more cost into things..

17. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    The 515 would have it and you would could buy and amp with it and it would need more eq.

I will model in a bit.

18. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    If you put it in a 115l box without a hpf and tune for 20 44w rms is all it would need, it would beat a sealed in the region of 15 upto 28hz and that's it, at 20hz it would hot 102db.

if you put a hpf in at18hz and give it 270w rms it would beat the sealed from 13hz up and hit
    107.7db at 20hz.

so both ways can be done.

19. Bellur

Bellur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info Scott..

Hmmm, I think I'm gonna stick with my guns and go sealed for now, I guess if I get bored I can experiment with ported!

Does anyone have an email address for Gordy? If so would it be possible to pm me? Thankyou!

I'l keep updating the progress! Thanks again!

20. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    good idea, and I will pm you gordys email.