1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A dilema (PF2 or PD30)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by discomike, Nov 10, 2003.

1. discomike

discomike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm jsut in the process of sending back my 2nd 36" PF2 set. First one had purity problems on left hand side of screen and second has annoying upward bend at botom of screen.

The Comet engineer was suprised I was having problems with this Toshiba model, though he did suggest getting a Panasonic instead.

So I looked about, saw the 36" PD30 on Comet's website for about the same price I paid for the PF2.

Then I came here to check forum and it's hard to find a good word said about the PD30. Are there any good words to be said about the PD30?

Should I take the safe option and wait to see how the next PF2 they deliver turns out, or should I change it to a PD30?

Opinions welcome.

2. MrPasty

MrPasty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I've started considering a refund on my PD30. Problems including (but not limited to):

1. Poor geometry: and this is getting worse.
    2. Widescreen signal from DVD player (and now XBox) cutting in and out.
    3. Awfully obvious artefacts on SKY+ and even some DVD's; and this on component input.
    4. Colour/brightness seems to vary at the whim of the set. I'm forever fiddling with the picture settings (much to my wife's annoyance).

Perhaps the best example; sat down to watch a football match and a 14 year old viewer said "Ugh, why do all the players look fuzzy". Never had this problem with the same source on my old 28" 4:3, and with the set closer.

I've even started moving furniture further away from the TV to try to make the picture look better.

3. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good old PD30's. Don't you just love them:D

4. MrPasty

MrPasty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a call to the (really sympathetic) service manager at my local electrical chain, the PD30 is being picked up on Thursday and my refund has already been actioned. I'm now going to take the plasma route and will certainly be buying from the local retailer rather than using the net. Old adage that cheapest price does not best service buy I guess.

I really wanted to like the set, but phew.