a design question on the 360

Pantera6

mayby this has been asked before, but i just thought of something.

why does the 360 have red lights installed?
it sounds odd, but the wii wont tell you if your console is gone down the drain, neither will the ps3, ds, gamecube, dreamcast etc.
and i know that LED's/nodes which switch colour are no hastle to install or anything and microsoft could have just though, why not install it.
but on the other hand, did microsoft know that hardware failure is likely to occur and installed the red lights for that reason. i know they have other purpouses like telling the user is a retard for not plugging in the AV cable( which causes more panic than a helpfull warning).
i just find it strange because this kind of warning is not found on any other product, becuase *technically, no company wants to promote their console with a way to say "ha sucker, buy a new one". which is also the same reason its not written in the instruction manual "if you have 3 red lights, go buy a new 360, this one is bust" and ironically came with a £60 3 year warrenty.

just a point i wanted to make because i think that microsoft were more aware of the hardware failures than they let on. which to be honest i find rather criminal

kempik

I guess there are no real guarantees that any piece of hardwre will never fail. In the event there was to be no video output then you can inform the MS rep that "x" amount red led's are displayed on the console, but it does suck so many consoles are screwy..

Mad Mikeyboy

A very valid point I must agree!!

I can't think of any other product right now that had a system to tell you just how knackered your knackered product is.

m1ket

mayby this has been asked before, but i just thought of something.

why does the 360 have red lights installed?
it sounds odd, but the wii wont tell you if your console is gone down the drain, neither will the ps3, ds, gamecube, dreamcast etc.

Every device including PS3, Wii, PS2 etc have error codes that come up on screen..

There are a ton of combinations that use the lights how can this be a bad thing? The ps3 uses status codes (of which there are about 30) i dont see the difference.

You seem to concentrate of the three red lights but i know staight away if i have 4 red lights flashing my av cable is unplugged etc

Ultimate123

It's not just to tell you your 360 is up the swanny.

There are different red light formations when there is a problem and if you know which ones it is doing, you can identify the problem.

Heres the codes of the lights.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/Xbox-360-error-codes.htm

I think it's good that MS added this as you can sort some of the less serious ones out yourself without needing to send it back to MS.

Yeah it makes is easier to identify a problem.

Pugs1

I don't think it is a valid point.

Look at PC's and bios alerts, beeps, light sequences etc, it's actually helpful for diagnostics. I don't think it was built in deliberately because they KNEW it would fail:eek:

C'mon this is yet another example of MS paranoidism.:boring:

wellladida

"if you have 3 red lights, go buy a new 360, this one is bust" and ironically came with a £60 3 year warrenty.

is isnt the generall cause of the RROD epidemic an unknown hard ware faliure
i know its to do with overheating but officially the RROD is an unknown hardware faliure.

Pantera6

thanks for the replies,
i just personally thought that it was just strange.
error codes have always been about and still are.
i wasnt trying to have a bash at the 360 or anything,
for an entry project i had to re-design a product (i chose the 360 ), and while re-designing and not wanting to have a huge circle on the front i wondered why the hell you even needed the ring. its clearly stated on the controller what controller is which and so on, then it came to mind about the red rings and thought why were they needed, ive not seen them on any other product...

it was just a thought really, im sure it was just a choice made by the designers and found a secondary purpouse for the lights. but at the same time it could have been in the mission statement of the design because we all know microsoft want us to buy the new model of 360's because our oldones have broke :devil::devil::devil:

SibTiger33

Most IT equipment have systems in place that tell you what is the problem

the good thing with the 360 is that the system is available for the consumers to easily see what the problem is

most of the time its not until the faulty hardware is back with the manufacturers do they see the error codes

PC's have alot of error codes and warnings built into them (motherboards,bios,graphics cards, monitors you name it)

its all part of the diagnostics

my guess is that microsoft didnt know that the red light (3 red light problem was gonna happen soo much) but i bet you they are glad the error lights are available now.

could you imagine if we didnt have the warning lights? and we couldnt turn on our 360s - we would all be trying to get them in for repair (When the problem could be faulty power supply, cable not connected correctly etc)

Codehead

Distinguished Member
All the servers I work with have nice little blue LED 'Dell' logos on the front that turn orange when there's a hardware problem. There's also a heap of LEDs on the back of the racks that indicate failed components too.

On-screen error messages are all well and good, but what happens when the display is goosed?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom