1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a demo near margate

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by newjohn, Oct 29, 2005.

1. newjohn

newjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone tell me where i can see a pj in action
    preferably a themescene H30a or similar
    i live in margate kent
    something close to home would be good
    thanks

2. 008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi
    Im selling a Sony G70 that will knock your socks off ! if you want to take a look im in Maidstone

Regards

Lee

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    What will you be upgrading too Lee? G90/Marquee or a digital?

Gary.

4. 008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Gary.

Ive bought a G90 but I may be selling that as well as Ive had some news this week which means there will be very little time for me to use it. :-(

PS Upgrading to digital ?!!!! :eek:

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Shame about the G90 - very nice picture indeed when set-up properly (currently my favourite display, along with a Margee 9500). The same can be said for digitals though - I wouldn't have a CRT less than 8" as a digital produces an overall much better image from what I've seen, and can be on a par to an LC 8" depending on what your image criteria are (if correctly set-up). Pros and cons etc...

Gary.

6. 008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have not seen a digital that comes close to my G70 but then again I have not been looking too hard. What do you recon matches it for movie viewing that you have seen.

Regards

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    A G70 is one of the better 8" CRTs I believe, but a suitably dimmed HD2+ digital like a Sim2 or Optoma H78/9 can be quite close in many respects IMHO (as can some of the lower res models like the H30a), but the image can look a little different (other than not having inky blacks of course) - the digitals can be sharper of course and the CRTs always give a smooth image which in some cases is a tad soft, especially with HTPC, but again, it's pros and cons. Digitals are often too bright and show up a lot of image noise which can be distracting IMHO. CRTs tend to tame the noise due to the technology and in comparison aren't as bright, so if a digital is dimmed using a filter (or adjustable iris) it can make the image more filmlike and less noisy IMHO. Adding an anamorphic lens helps to smooth the image a little which can help - if that's how you'd like the image to look of course.

I like the 8" and 9" CRTs I've seen, and as an overall package produce the better images (LC especially), but I also like the look of DLP and the advantages they have too, both picture and convenience wise. I doubt you'll see a digital set up with a filter so you're unlikely to see how that looks to get a better idea of what they can look like. Of course some people prefer a bright punchy image so a dimmer digital or CRT won't be for them.

Have you been to James' place in Norwich? I saw his Marquee 9500 last Sunday and it was very sharp and produced a very nice picture. He's going to mod it (internally, elctronically) soon so it will be interesting to see how much of an improvement that will make.

How much better was the G90 in comparison to the G70? Worth the upgrade? Are you going to put them both in the classifieds?

Newjohn,

Have you seen a good CRT in action? Although you may not want to get a CRT, it might be an interesting comparison to have a look at one if you can. The H30a I saw was a very nice projector and excellent value for money so I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

EDIT: Just read that H30a's are very thin on the ground now, but there's one available here in case you're having trouble finding one:

http://www.projectorsareus.co.uk/special offers-main.htm

Gary.

8. 008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have not seen DLP with filters but surely filters put another barrier in the way to limit resolution ?

I have seen James set up and was very impressed, I guess its seeing his set up that made me go in to 9"

I think 9"ers have a little more depth and are a little brighter and sharper but its not night and day. However my screen size is only 72" and from what I am told at that size the differences become less obvious. i have not tried 1080p in the 90 yet either so I have not seen what its full capeability is.

If you where to ask me what is the difference in numbers between a 70 and a 90 on my set up on 1080i id say 9.25 for the 70 and 10 for the 90 but as I say there will be a bigger difference on 1080p. I should find this out on Friday as Yas has kindly invited me up to see his 90 in action.

Yes, one or both will definately end up in the classifieds, unfortunately I had some news this week which will significantly limit my viewing time over the next few years so I may sell both.

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Filters don't effect resoloution, just the lumen output and colour balance - you even get filters on CRTs to correct the colours (the Barco 808 has a coloured filter version IIRC for example) and you won't see a reduction in resolution there either, just more accurate colour reproduction. If the filter is poor quality and introduces lens flaring, then you may notice a reduction in shadow detail when bright objects are are also in the same scene as the bright detail washes into the dark detail - a bit like the halo effect on AC machines. Good filters like Hoya HMC don't have that effect.

Yas has a very nice set-up which I found very impressive - very sharp and smooth with good colours and pretty bright even on a 98inch wide screen - it made everything lok good, even bad transfers. I can see why it is a highly revered CRT. James 9500 made standard Laserdisk look like DVD and I've never seen laserdisk look that good before! Not sure how much the scaler had to do with it but even so, it made laserdisk a very watchable medium again.

Gary.

10. 008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    So when are you going CRT then............ :rotfl:

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Unlikely as I do like DLP and my current set-up in my room, but if a CRT could do constant height and variable width, and had 9" performance in a smaller box, I would seriously consider it.

Gary.