Answered A decent starter system?

I have a quick question with regards to the RN602 receiver. If I was to buy a 3.5mm jack to RCA adapter would that work okay with that amp?

That's not a problem. That's how I connect my computer to my Onkyo Stereo Amp that I use with my Computer. I've also used a cable like that to connect an MP3 player to the Amp/Speakers.

I assume you mean a cable like this -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Splitter-Surround-Controller-Connector-Green/dp/B00LM2Y2WC/

Available in 1 to 5 meter lengths.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Gold-Plated-Copper-Stereo-Adapter-2-7m-2-Pack/dp/B075DCXB8W/

Available in 0.3m to 4.5m lengths.

Steve/bluewizard

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
That make sense. I wouldnt spend money on a dac if it's for youtube though your better off getting a 3.5mm jacj to rca as @BlueWizard suggested.

I'm just thinking to keep options open as it might not end up just being for youtube etc. It will be for now but as I get used to high quality I will end up buying / streaming a lot of higher quality files such as flac etc.

I'm just thinking to keep options open as it might not end up just being for youtube etc. It will be for now but as I get used to high quality I will end up buying / streaming a lot of higher quality files such as flac etc.

Then your better off getting the AS501 over the 602 as the streaming element of the 602 will pretty much be redundant. The whole point of the 602 is that you can stream directly to it and use its internal dac to decode. If you decide to get an external dac, the 602 will be used as an integrated amp, not a network amp.

IMO your better off going for the yamaha wcx-50 which dac is just as good as the dac magic built in, has streaming capability, and inputs for your pc.

I'd also opt for the Adams as I thing they are great but if actives are not your thing, get a power amplifier and a pair of MA Bronze.

Something like this would suffice
TIBO PA150 Power Amplifier - Superfi

Going up the price ladder a bit
Emotiva BasX A-150 Two Channel Power Amplifier

So you would have

laptop - Yamaha WCX-50 - Power amp - speakers

you can connect your laptop via usb to optical lead directly to the wcx-50 or over your home network.

This way is also better for an upgrade path in the future. having an all in one box like the 602 shuts this door

Excellent idea...

Or, as a power amp, I’d go for one of these; s/h... but...

QUAD 606 stereo power amp amplifier tested latest Huntingdon factory standards | eBay

It and the Yamaha will drive any speakers up to at least 2 grand comfortably should you ever decide to upgrade, and even if not you’ll be getting the absolute best from the MAs.

Also, I’m familiar with the dac/pre amp in the WXC-50 and it is superb.

Clarity in abundance and it can drive £3000 of active Adams to splendid heights.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Is there an amplifier like the RN602 that has a USB input that works as a USB sound card style setup??

I can then have just one single USB cable running across my room that I plug into my laptop whenever I want to use that as the source then :D

Buy these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heybrook...610432?hash=item285d83cc40:g:losAAOSwiMRbJS2M

Or even better if you're up for a couple of hours of DIY:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-...876712?hash=item2f1c934628:g:1MIAAOSwruVbIOHX

And something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-TA-...598056&hash=item520b26f512:g:99oAAOSw~O1a6rdk

For under £100 you will have something that will sound about as good as anything suggested so far in your room and you will have a nice load of money left in your bank account.

For a system that will sit in the corner of 2m x 5.5m room, I'd find it very difficult to justify spending more than £100. Especially when you can get amp and speakers as good as the Sony and Heybrooks for that money.

I can then have just one single USB cable running across my room that I plug into my laptop whenever I want to use that as the source then :D

Exactly.

Regarding what @lindsayt said, I personally do not agree with that; however, I will agree that you do not need to spend a lot of money to get a decent set up. If you are open to second hand as they have listed, the options are increased and can always get better value for money.

The WXC50 doesn't work as a USB DAC though does it? Neither does the RN602? Or the AS501?
Is there not one that has a USB DAC and the Streaming built into one amp? I can't seem to find one so would still end up needing the stand alone DAC and then the RN602 so get the built in Wifi streaming :/

Cables are cables are cables. Does it matter if you run a toslink, a digital coax, an RCA to 3.5mm or a USB cable? You are still going to need to run a cable whichever flavour it is? You have plenty of options which format you want to get your audio out of your laptop in. I think you are over-thinking this.

As the WXC50 is DLNA certified, why even bother with a cable, why not just stream your music wirelessly, from your laptop to the WXC50 using a DLNA client?

It matters because the only output I have on my laptop is a 3.5mm jack or a USB cable. It doesn't have fancy digital outputs. Its either poor quality 3.5 or really good quality USB digital connection.

Exactly.

Regarding what @lindsayt said, I personally do not agree with that; however, I will agree that you do not need to spend a lot of money to get a decent set up. If you are open to second hand as they have listed, the options are increased and can always get better value for money.
It'd be interesting to compare Heybrook HB1's or HB3's against the likes of Kef Ref 3's or Kef r300, or ADAM actives - in the corner of jtaylors bedroom.

The Heybrooks are decent enough speakers and they are sealed boxes, not ported designs - which will help for the challenging location envisioned by the OP. The Heybrooks are genuine backs to the wall speakers.

use this for the wcx-50

Teradek BIT-070 USB Cable

no quality lost, bit perfect data sent to the wcx's dac
It doesn't have a USB connection. Well it does, but it's only for USB memory sticks with files on them and not PC connection from what the manual says. :(

DAC's are easily sorted. You can get a good sounding one dirt cheap.
For example, one of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Optical-...m=392058566189&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

with one of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hifi-lin...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The linear 5 volt power supply is important for getting first class sound quality from the £4.64 DAC.
This is one of those times where less is more in hi-fi. Simplicity in the DAC being the key to good sound quality here. Simplicity combined with a good power supply.

I find it difficult to justify spending more than £50 on a digital source, regardless of the price of the rest of the system.

It'd be interesting to compare Heybrook HB1's or HB3's against the likes of Kef Ref 3's or Kef r300, or ADAM actives - in the corner of jtaylors bedroom.

The Heybrooks are decent enough speakers and they are sealed boxes, not ported designs - which will help for the challenging location envisioned by the OP. The Heybrooks are genuine backs to the wall speakers.

The heybrooks are great speakers and recall my dad having a pair in the 80's. How would they compare to my speakers as that's what you have listed as a comparison???; hard to say as i have not heard them in many years. From memory these speakers are 30 years old so would expect parts may be needed and could imagine that might be troublesome.

the entry level sony amplifier you listed is something I feel is not on par with anything that's been listed in this post.

The bedroom is a large space at 3mx5m so your statement about spending no more than £100 is questionable. further more a budget based on room size is again a questionable way to build a hifi system.

It doesn't have a USB connection. Well it does, but it's only for USB memory sticks with files on them and not PC connection from what the manual says. :(

Thats a shame, there are cables that do this conversion, i just pulled that off a google search.

the wcx has an aux in so you can happily run a 3.5mm to rca from your laptop and that would suffice.

the sound quality would not be lost doing this using youtube, honestly the sq from youtube on a good system becomes very apparent and I cannot listen to youtube for music. All music files from your laptop could then be used on the dlna of the wcx.

I find it difficult to justify spending more than £50 on a digital source, regardless of the price of the rest of the system.

For a system that will sit in the corner of 2m x 5.5m room, I'd find it very difficult to justify spending more than £100. Especially when you can get amp and speakers as good as the Sony and Heybrooks for that money.

So in summary your advice is that no Hi Fi, in any smallish room, should cost no more than £150?
I appreciate your thriftiness, but I think that given the audience of these forums, your thinking maybe somewhat out-of-step with many of the people here who are not only hifi enthusiasts but many whom I would deem to be experts in HiFi and AV.
I also do not disagree in the merits of looking at second-user equipment but the equipment that you linked to was, to be honest in extremely poor condition to the point that I actually thought that your post was meant to be a joke or at best ironic.

Thats a shame, there are cables that do this conversion, i just pulled that off a google search.

the wcx has an aux in so you can happily run a 3.5mm to rca from your laptop and that would suffice.

the sound quality would not be lost doing this using youtube, honestly the sq from youtube on a good system becomes very apparent and I cannot listen to youtube for music. All music files from your laptop could then be used on the dlna of the wcx.

I have to agree with @dollag 100% here. Youtube audio, except for a few of the BBC Concert Videos is pretty poor at best. Using your line out from your PC is likley to have little effect of the sound quality at the amp, given the poor quality of the original source material. I think that you should start with an RCA to 3.5mm jack cable and see what it sounds like. If you are not happy there are a whole range of USB DACS out there that would suit your needs, ranging from a few pounds to several thousand pounds and everything in between. I am suggesting this option because you may wish to play Concert Blu Ray / DVDs on your laptop and benefit from the higher quality sound, if you like watching as well as listening to music.

Exactly.

There is phenomenal value to be got from the second hand shop cash converters and ebay markets. For 130 euro I got in france an excellent yamaha Rxv440 receiver along with a 5.1 yamaha speaker setup including active subwoofer. Now this stuff is a bit long in the tooth ,probably 10 years old , but quality will out. No hdmi etc. But Add a cheap 50 quid dvd player into the coaxial audio digital input and a 30 quid chromecast audio into the optical digital and it would be hard to beat under 600 euro.for a streaming music centre.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom