Question A death in the family (DLA-X3)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Boogie Badman, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Boogie Badman

Boogie Badman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Unfortunately my DLA-X3 stopped working a couple of days ago and doing a search suggests it's a hardware fault. Standyby and Warning are red, lamp is continuously blinking orange, the lens stuck open.

Has anyone had theirs repaired? If so how much did it cost (approx.) and is it really worth it?

I'm so gutted :(

2. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    I've had the same problem, my beloved Epson TW9000 passed away on the 16 December, she was working fine in the morning when my nephew's watched a film, but refused to turn on in the evening when I finally sat down to relax. Mine is showing an internal error, indicated by two flashing red lights.

I did speak to AV Parts Master, who said they could look at it for £45, which was deductible from the repair cost if I went ahead with the repair, but they couldn't give me any idea of cost until they'd seen the PJ. There would also be delivery costs on top of the £45. When pressed they said £300 to £400, but that was a pure guess and whether they based that on experience I don't know.

In the end I've decided I'm going to purchase a new PJ, looking at the owners thread it seems they became quite prone to further faults after repair. I suspect due to being dismantled and the stresses of couriers chucking them about (probably the later). I'll put the old PJ on ebay as parts not working, to hopefully get something for it.

It's possible to buy a PJ with 6 years warranty from Richer Sounds or the Epson TW9300 comes with a manufacturers 5 year warranty, so now the new years upon us I'll be looking at my options.

PS How old is your PJ and did you buy it new? Under UK consumer law you do have protection for up to six years if an item develops a fault, but this is often very difficult to convince supplier's of and prove the fault is covered.

3. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    I don't think it is difficult to convince suppliers of; most of them know the law very well and I'd imagine this gets dangled more often than you can imagine.

Fact is that after only 6 months if you are relying on your statutory rights the onus is on the purchaser to prove that the fault was there when the unit was purchased, which usually involves engineers reports etc. Very tricky. Most of the times I've brought up statutory rights the retailers have just said fine, send us your proof, we won't be doing anything until we receive it. Or you can avoid that faff and have this token gesture off some new replacement product.

Some suppliers may make this easier than others, and I'd suggest shopping with outfits who have a good track record, but that is the law as it stands. Others (like RS) realise that in reality they're probably on the hook and so offer either free or very low cost extended warranties.

It is a shame really. It is quite well known that these JVC series do die most often from the ballast first; there is quite a bit of perhaps circumstantial evidence now out there that this part is weak (it fails frequently in X3 and X30 series, but not in subsequent ones). In an ideal world the manufacturer would stand behind their product and own it, but the fact is they know in many cases at this level they'll shift a new unit instead...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Boogie Badman

Boogie Badman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I've had it for around 5 years and until this it had served perfectly.

It's a shame as I wanted to upgrade to a newer JVC but am now a little concerned.

5. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    As long as you get a decent warranty I don't think there's any reason to be concerned, just do a little research and bare in mind that most people post when they have problems and not when things are going well.