1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A daft question?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Colonial Marine, Jan 10, 2001.

1. Colonial Marine

Colonial Marine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard this mentioned a few times but I still dont know what RSDL format on DVD disks is???

Please enlighten me? [​IMG]

------------------
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.....it's the only way to be sure.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dual Layer Disc's are more properly know as 'Reverse Spiral Dual Layer'. I just find RSDL quicker to type than Dual Layer all the time.

3. YETi

YETi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You get a a free bottle of Reactive Skin Decontamination Lotion (500ml Bottle) [​IMG]

Nah seriously tho -

RSDL
    Acronym for "reverse spiral, dual layer," a feature of the DVD format that allows two layers of information to be placed on one side of the disc, with the top layer being transparent. When the laser moves from the top layer of the disc to the bottom, the player may pause briefly. This is called the layer switch, and some are so good you don't know they are there. However, some layer switches are distracting and not well done. An RSDL disc (a type of DVD-9) is gold in color, whereas a single-layered disc has a silver hue. Before the first RSDL disc (Terminator 2), movies longer than about two hours were split across two sides of the disc, which required that the disc be ejected and re-inserted on the other side. As such, they were nicknamed "flippers." Many flippers are still in release, but they are no longer widely manufactured.

How did I find this out?
    www.google.com the best search engine on the web! [​IMG]

4. YETi

YETi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehe too slow them damn army boys!

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: