A cross

macker2006

Looks like you had some tricky lighting there ! I like the composition but it doesn't seem to have much 'punch'. Maybe a play with the sharpening and contrast levels would bring it alive ??

Paranormalist

Distinguished Member
Looks like you had some tricky lighting there ! I like the composition but it doesn't seem to have much 'punch'. Maybe a play with the sharpening and contrast levels would bring it alive ??

Thanks, macker. I'll experiment like you said with the contrast and sharpness. I've already tried it in black and white and I think it suits the pic.

Tobers

Exposure is looking better than the wind-farm shots i.e. you've got the sky and the cross with detail in them. Looks like the sun was in when you took the pic, hence everything looks a little dull. Perhaps if you'd waited a few mins for the sun to come our you'd have more "punch" in the shot, better lighting on the cross.

Problem with that is that you'd be back to lots of reflections off the grass as before, so put that polariser a bit higher up your shopping list :D

Also, try going out at about 7pm, finding a nice subject like your cross, and then take a shot every 5 mins of the same subject until the sun has gone down. Once you get back home, look at each one and you'll see how much the light changes as the sun goes down. Then compare to this shot above and you'll start to figure out why everyone talks about light quality so much.

Tobers

Paranormalist

Distinguished Member
Exposure is looking better than the wind-farm shots i.e. you've got the sky and the cross with detail in them. Looks like the sun was in when you took the pic, hence everything looks a little dull. Perhaps if you'd waited a few mins for the sun to come our you'd have more "punch" in the shot, better lighting on the cross.

Problem with that is that you'd be back to lots of reflections off the grass as before, so put that polariser a bit higher up your shopping list :D

Also, try going out at about 7pm, finding a nice subject like your cross, and then take a shot every 5 mins of the same subject until the sun has gone down. Once you get back home, look at each one and you'll see how much the light changes as the sun goes down. Then compare to this shot above and you'll start to figure out why everyone talks about light quality so much.

Tobers

The sun came out as soon as we left the island! :rolleyes: A polariser and ND filter are indeed on my shopping list and I hope to make a purchase in the not to distant future. Thanks for the much needed tips about lighting. :)

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom