A cover song & some new equipments

Discussion in 'Pro Audio and Musicians Forum' started by suniil, Feb 24, 2013.

1. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    I've been seeking assistance since we started music section in AVF. Daughter started music lessons approx. 3.5 years ago from nowhere and had some remarkable achievements in Music, though in unexpected areas like Piano!

Here is an acoustic cover she did today, with new mic (Blue spark) and recording unit (Tascam DR-680). Please switch to 1080p mode. I added a tiny bit of reverb in FCP, otherwise everything is as it is.

Please feel free to give any feedback you have.

Thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgFGM6YFAjU

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,700
    Fantastic playing and she is not a bad singer either!

A few comments - I have worked in the industry for about 20 years...

Mic technique: I would suggest you move the mic about 2 - 3 inches further away and get a much bigger pop filter, as your daughter is quite "poppy" with a lot of breath noise. Try a looser mic pattern if this is switchable and use the room acoutics rather than adding in artificial reverb. Her vocals sound slightly weak, but for her age, still extremely impressive! The power will come with practice and maturity.

If the piano cannot be moved away from the wall behind her, get some acoustic panels to break the surface up a little. This will not only help with the sound, but may well make it easier for your daughter to hear her own singing as well, as the direct / reflected sound is probably making things quite muddled.

Piano: Sounds very mechanical and closed in. Get it open in half or full stick and again, move the mics a little further out. The setup would be good for a live gig, but for recording, space is your friend. The piano is quite softly played, so she could bang those keys a little harder at times and get a little better tone. It needs a tune as well! Not sure if it is tuned to concert pitch, but I would suggest you discuss this with the tuner.

Compression: Add in some compression to thicken up the voice and also add in some brightness. She has a good voice and this could be helped with a little eq to make it sound a little richer.

Mix: Bury the vocal in the mix a little more and rely on the compression to keep it consistent. It sounds like the vocal mix is sitting on top for some of the time and then getting lost at others.

I don't know if you have any professional representation, but I know a good guy in Sheffield who looks after some other teenage talent and arranges live performance exposure. One of his recent successes was warm up slot for Lionel Richie, plus some TV exposure. If this is of interest, please let me know and I will get you his contact details.

3. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    noiseboy72: Thank you for the feedback, really appreciate it. I've no experience in recording, so will keep in mind for next recording.

Piano is just 4 months old, and it had a tuning after moved in. But she practices around 5 to 7 hours per day, so it can go out of tune often. I used 2 cardioid microphones, close to strings to get piano sound. Thought that's the only way to isolate the piano sound from mic.

We don't have professional representation, only thing we have is good web presence including youtube partnership. It would be really helpful if you introduce your friend.

Thank you.

PS. she has no training in Contemporary singing, but a classical first study singer (ABRSM Grade8) and pianist (diploma level) in her school.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  4. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,700
    Home

Have a look at this website. These are good, genuine guys, but they do ask for money as they do not try to own the artist or the brand, they simply offer services to make the artist better and gain more exposure.

It is really great to come across talented performers in it for the right reason, not just wanting to be famous. Having worked with Girls Aloud, Liberty X and too many other manufactured bands, it always comes as a breath of fresh air when someone turns up with some genuine talent.

5. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Thank you for the details. I'll contact them and see what they think about her. Once again, thank you for all the feedback and thoughts you given.

6. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,844
    It's when you see something like that you realise that music is alive and well. 3 and 1/2 years from nothing? Amazing. You must be very proud of her.

Phil

7. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Thank you Phil, singing is something just happened! But piano is just all hard work, I'd say.

8. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    not sure we have any classical musicians on AVF, but I'm sure many of you can catch the tune. Below a clip from daughter's recent concert.

Chopin Etude Opus 10 No.4 : Purcell School Concert

9. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,844
    I'm a little gobsmacked actually. She's obviously very very musically talented.

Can I ask you, what does your daughter want to do? Is she just great musically, or is she good at science, languages etc? She's got some serious musical ability.

Cheers
    Phil

10. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Thank you Phil, she wanted to do music for her rest of her life. Her voice is a gift, but I don't know how she accomplished that level on piano in just 4 years other than her commitment and hard work.

Regarding other subjects, she is better than average but in maths she is exceptionally good.

Below the link to latest cover, again it's home made and nothing fancy (1080p available).

Read All About It - Emeli Sande : Acoustic Cover

11. duncfunk

duncfunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +462
    That's an insane level of ability after 4 years, your daughter clearly has huge natural talent when it comes to music. Have you looked into entering her for the BBC Young Musician of the Year?

I'd definitely be eyeing up a place in one of the London music colleges (Royal Academy or Royal College of Music) or even a European Conservatoire. I don't know how close you are to London but the colleges offer music schools for young musicians which is a good way of getting your foot in the door. Competition is fierce but if she continues that kind of development she has a bright future.

12. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Thank you DF. Yes, we are considering BBC Young Musicians, but according to her teacher she may not be able to enter this year as she need a Piano Concerto to have in hand. She will start working on it this from this summer.

Currently she is in Purcell School for Young musicians, so RAM / RCM is the way to move forward (we live close to elephant & castle). But her dreams are some of the european Conservatoire / Julliard etc!

13. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,844
    Brilliant! I obviously can't give any advice. But I'd suggest your daughter concentrates on her classical studies. You know, it's going to be great for her when she sees her mates loving her singing to popular songs. But, there's really no mileage in that, however much applause she gets. Heck, she can go do that for the rest of her life.
    But get into Julliard....
    What sort of music does she like? I guess given her ability that she can probably understand and appreciate many forms.

Phil

14. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Thanks Phil, she spends most of her time on piano. Whilst at school she gets around 4 hours of practice time and during weekends and other break time it goes beyond 7 hours. Classical singing doesn't take anytime, other than learning words in other languages.

It is very hard, but her current school also had similar competition from Far East / Eastern European children who started learning music from very early ages. But it's all depends on how she is going to get through adolescence time.

Regarding interest, at the moment she wants to master piano but do have Voice as first study instrument. Composition is also her strong point. But has no ability in other instruments / song writing. Other than Baroque / Classical period in the Classical music, she is very much into it. For mainstream music, she likes Country & Gospel the most followed by Game music / OST.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013