A couple of Wii question

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by ParmMann, Dec 23, 2006.

1. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi all,

I recieved my Wii this morning. I've had about an hour on it playing Wii Sports and playing with the various channels and so far I'm a little dissapointed, but hey, it's still new and I'm still getting used to it. At the moment I'm just itching to get back to Viva Pinata, God that game's addictive! :rotfl:

My questions regarding the Wii are:
    1. On the screen settings, 480p is disabled, how would I go about using that? I have a 50" HD Plasma Screen so I'd like to utilize the best resollution.

2. How would I go about connecting the Wii to my amp? It specifies 'surround' in the settings menus and Wii Sports shows a Dolby Pro Logic logo in the corner. How do I go about utilizing surround sound?

3. How do I find my Wii Friend Code? I have it hooked up to the web wirelessly and have ran the system updates successfully.

Thanks,
    Parm

2. mwatson800

mwatson800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15

1. On the screen settings, 480p is disabled, how would I go about using that? Only a component lead plugged in will unlock this option.

2. How would I go about connecting the Wii to my amp? Plug the red and white phono leads into your amp. Your amp will recognise the Prologic signal being sent and will give you separate front L & R sound and combined (not discreet) rear sound. It works a treat and with extra sound effects from the Wii-mote is effective.

3. How do I find my Wii Friend Code?
    Go into the 'Create message' page and then click the address book. Click the left arrow and this will display your code. Alternatively, send your home email a message and this will reveal your Wii code and your Wii email address.

:smashin:

3. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    What are you disappointed about?

4. mwatson800

mwatson800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    When you actually start playing some of the games that use the Wii-mote (Bowling, Shooting, Tennis) especially against a friend with anothe remote you will soon get into it and it will grow on you! ;)

5. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for the info mwatson800, very helpful! Looks like I'm gonna have to get a component cable from somewhere. Once I've done that I'll be able to use the phono leads in the amp so that'll solve that too.

dan1979, I guess I'm just too accustomed to my Xbox 360, I found the setup on that to be a lot more straight forward too with it's connectivity options. I'm still getting accustomed to the Wii's interface though, I don't find it as nice as the 360's dashboard but as I say, I'm completely used to the 360 and the Wii is new to me yet.

The picture on the Wii isn't very clear or crisp, but that was to be expected so it doesn't bother me, might be a bit better with the component cable. The sound isn't quite moving me either, I have a 5.1 DTS system with Mordaunt Short speakers and the 360 makes great use of those. I can't hook my Wii up to my amp as yet though so I'm having to use my TV's speakers.

I haven't played for long yet either so I'm still getting used to the controls, they appeared basic at first but I'm sure there's more to them once you know how. I found that in Tennis I was just swinging my arms, I'd like to be doing slice shots, lobs, drop shots etc.

Last but not least, I've only played it on my own. In that sense, I don't think the Wii is ideal, particularly not with Wii Sports. On my own I'd much rather spend an hour or two playing on my garden in Viva Pinata (so much fun!), where as on my own on Wii Sports I just get bored.

I haven't played it multiplayer yet but I'm going to have to get another Wiimote so I can try it out, I'm sure that multiplayer is where the fun is at. I've always been a big fan of multiplayer games too, I rarely play single player at all. Even on the 360, I find Live to be the best online gaming platform I've experienced and playing with others is certainly more fun than playing alone.

Here are some pictures of my Wii :) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Those are only minor things, you'll appreciate wii sports the more you play it, there is a lot more depth there than you first realise. I played something crazy like 10 hours of it mostly bowling on my first full day with it.

Have a go at the training modes as well, they're great fun and the punchbag one will give you a nice workout.

I've used a wii with a surround amp, it only has old school pro logic (not DPLII) so it didn't make the most of it but the sound was still very nice in COD3.

7. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yeah I just need more time with it for now, I think playing with somebody else would really help too, get a bit of competition going! :D

8. KingOfGondor

KingOfGondor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    yeah the party aspect of the games is where its at, i've had fun playing on my own but not nearly as much as when my mates were round